Vanguard Health Systems
|Key people||Michael Critelli, CEO
Steve Munini, COO
Dossia is a Personal health record service offered by some of the largest employers in the United States. Along with Microsoft's HealthVault, Dossia is one of the largest PHR deployments in the world Unlike Microsoft's PHR effort, Dossia is based on open source software. Dossia released their API in summer of 2009. Dossia differs from traditional tethered PHR services, by providing user access to health information regardless of health plan, employer or physician. Users also have the ability to download their full record, in electronic form, at any time.
It is an initiative formed from the following companies:
- Applied Materials
- BP America
- Cardinal Health
- Pitney Bowes
- Abraxis BioScience
- Vanguard Health Systems
Dossia is formed by some of the largest employers in the United States with the intention of offering a PHR to its employees. Given the number of employees of these combined institutions, Dossia could be one of the largest PHR systems in the world.
In 2006, a group of Fortune 500 employers, including Applied Materials, BP America, Inc, Intel Corporation, Pitney Bowes Inc., Wal-Mart, Cardinal Health, AT&T, and sanofi-aventis, formed an alliance called the Dossia Consortium. Later, in April 2009, Dossia announced that Abraxis BioScience also joined the Dossia Founders Group. The Consortium’s goal was to empower their employees to make smarter, more informed decisions about their healthcare by offering them Personally Controlled Health Records (PCHR) . The Consortium funded the development of a web-based framework through which Consortium employees, dependents, and retirees can maintain private, personal, and portable PCHRs.
In 2008, the Dossia Consortium Board of Directors decided to create two additional organizations within the Dossia umbrella. These included the Dossia Foundation and the Dossia Service Corporation. The Dossia Foundation aims at advancing knowledge and progress in the healthcare space through a variety research, strategy, and advocacy initiatives pertaining to Personally Controlled Health Records (PCHRs). The Dossia Service Corporation is responsible for delivering the PCHR infrastructure and service to subscribing employers and customers.
Also during 2008, Dossia established an agreement to work with Children’s Hospital Boston to provide strategic and technological expertise and guidance in creating, deploying and operating the electronic health record infrastructure.
In fall of 2008, WalMart was the first Dossia Consortium member to roll out the PCHRs to their 1.4 million employees plus their dependents. Following WalMart’s roll out, Dossia continued to roll out its PCHRs to the other Dossia Consortium members including Vanguard, Intel, Pitney Bowes, AT&T and BP America.
Dossia’s PHP(Personal Health Platform)
The Dossia system enables individuals to gather copies of their own medical data (in digital form) from multiple sources and to create and utilize their own personal, private and portable electronic health records. Initially, the data will come primarily from insurers’ databases and the patient’s own annotations. As the system develops, additional information will come directly from the patient’s medical chart and various other sources. The information the system provides will empower individuals to manage their own healthcare, improve communications with their doctors, and ensure more complete and accurate information for healthcare providers than the current fragmented, paper-based system.
Dossia Board Members
Dossia’s board is composed of industry leaders from a variety of Fortune 500 companies.
- Craig Barrett, Chairman, Board Of Directors, Dossia, Executive Chairman, (formerly) Intel
- Jean Paul Gagnon, Secretary, Board of Directors, Dossia Director of Public Policy, sanofi-aventis
- Monica Foster, Vice President of Benefits, Cardinal Health
- Karl Dalal, Director of U.S. Health and Welfare Benefits, BP America
- Adena Handly,Director, Healthcare Marketing, AT&T Business Solutions
- Diana Finucane, Director, Global Benefits Applied Materials
- Andrew Gold, Executive Director, Global Benefit Planning, Pitney Bowes
- Steven Lampkin, Vice President, Benefits Services and Strategic Initiatives, Walmart
- Patrick Soon-Shiong, M.D., Executive Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Abraxis Health
- Brad Perkins, M.D., Executive VP Strategy and Innovation and Chief Transformation Officer, Vanguard Health Systems
- Tami L. Graham, Intel Global Benefits Design Director, Intel Corporation
- Liz Cirri, Senior Director, Reimbursement, Government Programs, sanofi-aventis
- McGee, Marianne (2008-10-01). "Wal-Mart Rolls Out E-Health Records To All Employees". Information Week. p. 2. Retrieved 2008-11-07.
- "Dossia Open API". Retrieved 2008-11-07.
- Moore, John (October 17, 2007). "Indivo Health: Further Details on Dossia Agreement". Retrieved 2008-11-07.
- McGee, Marianne Kolbasuk (January 19, 2010). "Vanguard Rolls out Dossia PHRs To Employees". Retrieved 2010-01-19.