Original US cinema poster
|Directed by||Irving Cummings|
|Produced by||Irving Cummings, Jr.
Irwin Allen (uncredited)
|Written by||Leo Rosten
|Music by||Leigh Harline|
|Cinematography||Robert De Grasse|
|Edited by||Harry Marker|
|Distributed by||RKO Radio Pictures (US)|
|Running time||80 minutes|
Double Dynamite is a 1951 American musical comedy film directed by Irving Cummings and starring Jane Russell, Groucho Marx, and Frank Sinatra. The film was written by Leo Rosten, Mel Shavelson, Mannie Manheim, and Harry Crane.
Filmed prior to From Here to Eternity, the movie involves an innocent bank teller (Sinatra) suspected of embezzling who turns to a sardonic waiter (Groucho Marx) for advice. Although Sinatra has by far the most screen time, he took third billing behind Jane Russell and Groucho Marx. Most of the scenes are devoted to the interactions of Sinatra and Marx, who had just begun televising his radio show You Bet Your Life the year before and was in between his wilder Marx Brothers persona and the more toned-down television Groucho. Both Sinatra and Jane Russell play against type as a shy, timid pair, while Marx portrays a sarcastic waiter who breezily mentors the frightened young couple.
Jane Russell and Groucho Marx each sing a duet with Frank Sinatra written by Jule Styne and Sammy Cahn. Marx and Sinatra sing "It's Only Money", and Russell and Sinatra deliver the romantic "Kisses and Tears."
The film was held for several years after production, and released only in 1951. It was not a financial or critical success.
- Jane Russell as Mibs Goodhue
- Groucho Marx as Emile J. Keck
- Frank Sinatra as Johnny Dalton
- Don McGuire as Bob Pulsifer, Jr.
- Howard Freeman as R. B. Pulsifer, Sr.
- Nestor Paiva as bookie "Hot Horse" Harris
- Frank Orth as Mr. Kofer
- Harry Hayden as J. L. McKissack
- William Edmunds as Mr. Baganucci
- Russell Thorson as the IRS tailman
- "Double Dynamite: Detail View". American Film Institute. Retrieved May 19, 2014.
- Darwin Porter, Howard Hughes: Hell's Angel (Blood Moon Productions, 2005), ISBN 978-0974811819, p. 725. Excerpts available at Google Books.
- Tom Santopietro, Sinatra in Hollywood (Macmillan, 2009), ISBN 978-1429964746, pp. 115-116. Excerpts available at Google Books.
- Double Dynamite at the Internet Movie Database
- Double Dynamite at AllMovie
- Double Dynamite in the New York Times