Douglas "Doug" Casey is an American-born libertarian economist and advocate of the free market. He is a bestselling financial author, international investor, entrepreneur, and the founder and chairman of Casey Research, a provider of subscription financial analysis about specific market verticals including natural resources/metals/mining, energy, commodities, and technology. Since 1979 he has written or co-written the monthly metals-and-mining-focused investment newsletter The International Speculator. He also contributes to other newsletters including The Casey Report, a geopolitically-oriented publication.
An avid traveler and international opportunity seeker, Casey's first book The International Man (1978) was designed to show readers how to make the most of their personal freedom and global financial opportunities.
Casey is a frequent contributor to various financial websites, and to free market online magazines such as WorldNetDaily, LewRockwell.com and the libertarian print publication Liberty. He espouses anarcho-capitalist views.
Casey supported Ron Paul's run for president in 2008. In 2009 he gave a speech titled My Misadventures in the Third World in which he outlined plans to privatize a small country and take it public on the New York Stock Exchange.
In 2010 he inspired a project titled International Man, building on the legacy of his first book to show individuals how to internationalize to gain personal freedom. Using the connective power of the Internet, the project includes a real-time global network of freedom-seekers, investors, adventurers, speculators and expatriates looking to live an international lifestyle. The investor advocates the United States government default on its national debt to punish the bondholders who sponsored the heavy borrowing that he affirms will commit the future generations of Americans to long-term 'indentured servitude'. He states the bankruptcy of America is inevitable and inferred by the true liabilities of the general government which he estimates is upwards of $100 trillion when all Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation bank deposits and other off-budget items are included.
In 2012 he published the book Totally Incorrect: Conversations with Doug Casey.
- The International Man (1978). Hardcover: ISBN 978-0-932496-09-6
- Crisis Investing. (1979). Hardcover: ISBN 0-936906-00-6. Paperback: ISBN 0-671-42678-8.
- Crisis Investing for the Rest of the 90s (1993). Paperback: ISBN 0-8065-1612-7.
- Totally Incorrect: Conversations with Doug Casey (2012). Paperback: ISBN 0-988-28513-4.
- Doug Casey Bio
- About Douglas Casey
- The International Man, Page 1, Paragraph 4, Line 1
- EscapeArtist.com:About Douglas Casey
- New York Times Best Seller List 1980
- New York Times Best Seller List 1981
- FreedomFest 2007:The BIG Debate
- FreedomFest 2009
- "Turning Haiti Into A Tropical Paradise". Retrieved October 22, 2012.
- About International Man
- Lyster, Lauren. (18 January 2013). "America Should Declare Bankruptcy:Doug Casey". Daily Ticker(Yahoo Finance). Retrieved 19 January 2013. http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/america-declare-bankruptcy-doug-casey-124119100.html
- Oct 27, 2007 Interview
- Doug Casey — Financial Sense Editorial Archives, Financial Sense, December 2007. Accessed 2007-12-09.