Doug Lawrence (jazz)
Doug Lawrence comes from a musical family. His father and two brothers were professional musicians and both his sisters played. His mother was a dancer. Lawrence spent over 20 years in New York City, during which time he worked with Tony Bennett, Aretha Franklin, and Roy Eldridge among others. Lawrence has also recorded with many prominent jazz musicians such as Buck Clayton, Dizzy Gillespie, Ray Charles, Wild Bill Davis, Hank Jones, Mel Lewis, and George Cables as well as recording four albums as a leader - "Soul Carnival", "High Heel Sneakers", "Big Band Swing"  and "Street Wise". Lawrence served in the West Point Band's Jazz Knights in the early 1980s as the lead tenor saxophonist.
Lawrence has been a featured performer at Carnegie Hall, the Kennedy Center, the Village Vanguard, the Walt Disney Concert Hall and at international concert halls and jazz festivals including the Sydney Opera House, the Moscow International House of Music, the Blue Note Tokyo, Telluride Jazz Celebration and the North Sea Jazz Festival. Lawrence is currently the featured tenor soloist with the Count Basie Orchestra and also works with the drummer Jimmy Cobb and leads his own band called the Doug Lawrence Organic Trio or Quartet. Lawrence frequently appears as guest clinician and artist-in-residence at universities and jazz camps around the world.
- Feather, L; Gitler, I "The Biographical Encyclopedia of Jazz", New York: Oxford University Press, 1999, p.403
- Yanow, Scott. "Doug Lawrence: Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 14 July 2011.
- Frankling, Ken. [[[:Template:Http://jazztimes.com/articles/10335-soul-carnival-doug-lawrence]] "Doug Lawrence: Soul Carnival"]. JazzTimes. Retrieved 10 June 2013.
- Terrell, Tom. [[[:Template:Http://jazztimes.com/articles/20734-doug-lawrence]] "Doug Lawrence"]. JazzTimes. Retrieved 10 June 2013.
- Bowers, Jack. [[[:Template:Http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=22554]] "Doug Lawrence and His Orchestra: Big Band Swing"]. All About Jazz. Retrieved 10 June 2013.
- Bailey, C.Michael. [[[:Template:Http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=11305]] "Doug Lawrence; Street Wise"]. All About Jazz. Retrieved 10 June 2013.
- Steinberg, David. [[[:Template:Http://www.abqjournal.com/main/98611/entertainment/match-made-in-ja-zzheaven.html]] "Match Made In Jazz Heaven"]. Albuquerque Journal. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- Gambetta, Franchesco. "Festival internationale Isola Jazz". Genova Oggi Notizie. Retrieved July 1, 2013.
- Page-English, Mike. [[[:Template:Http://www.local-iq.com/index.php?option=com content&task=view&id=1460&Itemid=54]] "Doug Lawrence: Local Jazz Hero"]. Local iQ. Retrieved 10 June 2013.
- Soul Carnival (Fable/Lightyear/WEA 1997)
- High Heel Sneakers (Fable/Lightyear/WEA 1998)
- Big Band Swing (Black Orchid Records 2001)
- Street Wise (AllTribe Records 2003)
- Doug Lawrence New Organ Band (Cactus Records 2014)
- Grover Mitchell - Truckin' (Stash 1987)
- Teri Thornton - Good Morning Heartache (Monte Carlo Records1988)
- Buck Clayton - A Swingin' Dream (Stash 1989)
- Loren Schoenberg - Just A Sittin' and a Rockin' (Musicmasters 1990)
- Grover Mitchell - Hip Shakin' (Ken Records 1990)
- Buck Clayton - Live At The Village Vangaurd (Nagel Hayer 1991)
- Loren Schoenberg - Time Waits For No One (Music Masters 1992)
- Loren Schoenberg - Manhattan Work Song (Music Masters 1993)
- Martha Lorin - The Time Is Now (Carmel Records 1993)
- Jeff Jeroloman and George Cables - Swing Thing (Candid Records 1993)
- Ken Peplowski - A Good Reed (Concord Records 1997)
- Cynthia Scott - I Just Want To Know (Itocs Records 1998)
- Loren Schoenberg - Out Of This World (Montreux Records 1998)
- Richard Allen - Gone With The Wind (JazzInn Records 1999)
- Tony Corbiscello - In Full Swing (Allanna Records 1999)
- Bobby Short - You're The Top (Telarc Records 1999)
- George V. Johnson - Live At The JazzInn (JazzInn Records 2001)
- Clyde Stubblefield - B3 Bombers Live At The Green Mill (AllTribe Records 2002)
- Butch Miles - Straight On Till Morning (Nagel Hayer Records 2003)
- Nneenna Freelon - Blueprint Of A Lady (Concord Records 2005)
- Count Basie Orchestra - Live In Japan (Sony Records 2006)
- Ray Charles - Ray Sings, Basie Swings (Concord Records 2007)
- Tony Bennett - A Swingin' Christmas (Columbia Records 2008)
- Count Basie Orchestra - Singing, Swinging, Playing (Mack Avenue Records 2009)
- Jamie Cullum - The Pursuit (Verve Records 2009)