Douglas County, South Dakota
|Douglas County, South Dakota|
Douglas County Courthouse in Armour, South Dakota
Location in the state of South Dakota
South Dakota's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Stephen A. Douglas|
|• Total||434 sq mi (1,124 km2)|
|• Land||432 sq mi (1,119 km2)|
|• Water||2 sq mi (5 km2), 0.4%|
|• Density||8/sq mi (3/km²)|
- Aurora County, South Dakota - north
- Davison County, South Dakota - northeast
- Hutchinson County, South Dakota - east
- Charles Mix County, South Dakota - southwest
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,458 people, 1,321 households, and 947 families residing in the county. The population density was 8 people per square mile (3/km²). There were 1,453 housing units at an average density of 3 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 98.06% White, 0.06% Black or African American, 0.98% Native American, 0.14% Asian, 0.12% from other races, and 0.64% from two or more races. 0.38% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 43.0% were of German and 37.3% Dutch ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 1,321 households out of which 32.20% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.40% were married couples living together, 3.60% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.30% were non-families. 26.80% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.40% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 3.10.
In the county, the population was spread out with 27.70% under the age of 18, 4.90% from 18 to 24, 22.40% from 25 to 44, 22.40% from 45 to 64, and 22.60% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 95.10 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.30 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $28,478, and the median income for a family was $33,935. Males had a median income of $25,425 versus $18,309 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,827. About 12.20% of families and 14.60% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.80% of those under age 18 and 14.90% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
- Armour (Population:699)
- Corsica (Population:592)
- Delmont (Population:234)
- Harrison (Population:51)
- New Holland (Population:76)
The county is divided into fourteen townships: Belmont, Chester, Clark, East Choleau, Garfield, Grandview, Holland, Independence, Iowa, Joubert, Lincoln, Valley, Walnut Grove, Washington.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 108.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions: South Dakota". Population Census. 2010 United States Census. 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
||Aurora County||Davison County|
|Charles Mix County|