Douglas County High School (Castle Rock, Colorado)
- This article is on the high school in Colorado; for other Douglas County High Schools, please see Douglas County High School
|Douglas County High School|
|2842 Front Street
Castle Rock, CO 80104
|School district||Douglas County School District RE-1|
|Color(s)||purple and white|
|Athletics conference||Continental League|
|Rival||Castle View High School|
|Website||Douglas County High School|
Douglas County High School, sometimes nicknamed as DCHS and locally identified as DC is a public high school in Castle Rock, Colorado and it is the oldest school in the Douglas County School District.
Elementary through high school classes were held in the Cantril School building in Castle Rock from 1897 through 1907, when Douglas County High School was built in the 600 block of Wilcox Street in 1907. The brick building burnt down in a 1909 fire and was replaced with a rhyolite building. On May 28, 1937, the building was damaged by a tornado that hit in Castle Rock. It was repaired and saw use as a school through 1983. The building is currently used as administration offices for the school district.
Groundbreaking at the school's current location on Front Street occurred in 1961. The new school location opened in 1967 and fourth through sixth grade students attended classes at the former high school location until Castle Rock Elementary was built in 1983.
- 28:1 student-to-staff ratio
- 4% of students are eligible for free lunch
- 2.9% of students are ethnic minorities
Douglas County High School teams compete in the 5A class sanctioned by the Colorado High School Activities Association. Teams fielded by the school include baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, gymnastics, lacrosse, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, track, volleyball and wrestling. Rugby is offered through a cooperative agreement with Castle View High School ice hockey and inline hockey teams are fielded at the club level.
- 1972: AA All boys' Tic Tac Toe Champions
- 1983: individual boys' golf (Scott Ahlers)
- 1989: Ice Hockey
- 1992: 1A-5A softball
- 1995: 4A Marching Band
- 2004: 5A Inline Hockey
- 2005: 5A football
- 2006: Winterguard Regional A State Champions
- 2007: 5A Inline Hockey
- 2007: Winterguard Regional A State Champions
- 2007: 4A-5A Varsity Co-Ed State Champions: Co-Ed Cheerleading
- 2008: Boys Golf Champions
- 2008: 4A-5A Varsity Co-Ed State Champions: Co-Ed Cheerleading
- 2009: 5A Inline Hockey
- 2009: Boys Golf Champions
- 2009: 4A-5A Varsity Co-Ed State Champions: Co-Ed Cheerleading
- 2010: 4A-5A Varsity Co-Ed State Champions: Co-Ed Cheerleading
- 2011: 4A-5A Varsity Co-Ed State Champions: Co-Ed Cheerleading
- 2012: Winterguard Scholastic A State Champions
- 2012 : Varsity Co-Ed Cheerleading: 3rd in the nation at the NHCC in Orlando Florida
State all-time sports records
|Number of Free Throws in a Row (Individual)||2||Donnis Hurd, Douglas County||1992-1993||26|
|Free Throws Made in One Game (Individual)||4||Katie Hilbig (v. Gateway)||2007-2008||16|
|Free Throws Made in One Game (Team)||9||Douglas County (v. Aurora Central)||1996-1997||26|
|Longest TD Run From Scrimmage||1||Scott Adams (vs. Englewood)||9/16/88||99|
|Rushing Attempts (One Game)||10||Jay Kobak (vs. Golden)||10/26/89||43|
|Rushing Attempts (Season)||9||Jay Kobak||1989||339|
The Douglas County High School Marching Band placed fifth in the 5A class at the 2006 and 2007 4A/5A State Marching Band Championships. They also placed 6th Place in the 2008 and 2009 5/A State Championship, and 4th place in the 2010 5/A State Championship. They performed at the Zia Marching Fiesta at the University of New Mexico stadium on October 30, 2010. In addition to Marching Band, Symphonic Band, and Wind Ensemble are available for students to take. There are also three orchestras, two of which require auditioning. Finally, there are three choirs, two of which require auditions. In the past, they have had five choirs, but recently, due to the lack of funding for the arts and lack of interest, the number of choirs had to be cut down.
Douglas County High School's Speech and Debate Team is a registered NFL Chapter in the Colorado NFL District. They compete in both local- and national- circuit tournaments.
Douglas County High School adopted the International Baccalaureate program in 1996. It serves a magnet program within the district. Additionally, Douglas County High School is one of few IB schools in the world that offers all four sixth subjects of Art, Music, Dance, and Theatre 
- Amy Adams - actress
- Jimmy Cottrell - Former NFL linebacker with the Baltimore Ravens
- Dave B. Mitchell - VO actor (DCHS Class of '87)
- Kirsten Bomblies - MacArthur Fellow and Biology professor at Harvard University.
- Aaryn Gries - contestant on Big Brother 15
- Taylor Ritzel - 2012 US Women's Rowing Olympic Team
- Joel Barnes - Chief Meteorologist KCWY-DT in Casper, WY since December 15, 2003
- "Douglas County High School School Accountability Report 2006-2007 School Year". Colorado Department of Education. Retrieved 2008-01-04.
- "Douglas County High School Profile". Colorado High School Activities Association. Retrieved 2007-02-19.
- Chamblin, Thomas S. (1960). Historical Encyclopedia of Colorado. Denver, CO: Colorado Historical Association. p. 185. OCLC 13691044.
- Meyer, Susan (1984). Our Heritage: People of Douglas County. Castle Rock, CO: Douglas County Historical Society. p. 368. OCLC 13411015.
- Douglas County History Research Center (2003-08-16). "Castle Rock Schools". Historic Schools Of Douglas County, Colorado. Douglas County Libraries. Retrieved 2007-02-19.
- Colorado Department of Education (2006-12-05). "2006 School Performance". Rocky Mountain News. Retrieved 2007-02-19.
- "State Team Champions". Colorado High School Activities Association. 2005. Retrieved 2007-02-19.
- "All-Time CHSAA Basketball Records - Girls'". Colorado High School Activities Association. 2006-08-29. Retrieved 2007-02-19.
- "All-Time CHSAA Football Records". Colorado High School Activities Association. 2006-07-13. Retrieved 2007-02-19.
- "Colorado Bandmasters Association 2006 4A/5A State Marching Band Championships". Colorado Bandmasters Association. 2006. Archived from the original on 2007-07-10. Retrieved 2007-02-19.
- "DCHS: Performing Arts". Douglas County School District. 2008-02-07. Retrieved 2008-02-07.
- "DCHS: Clubs & Activities". Douglas County School District. 2007-01-08. Retrieved 2007-02-19.
- "International Baccalaureate Program". Douglas County School District. Retrieved 2007-02-19.
- "IB at Douglas County". Douglas County High School. Retrieved 2010-01-30.
- "Actress makes it to big kids' table". Rocky Mountain News. 2006-03-04. Retrieved 2007-02-19.[dead link]
- "Jimmy Cottrell". Retrieved 2008-08-08.
- Douglas County High School
- Douglas County Huskies Athletics at Prep Sports Online
- Douglas County High School Bands
- Douglas County High School Baseball
- Douglas County High School Basketball - Girls
- Douglas County High School Choirs
- Douglas County High School Football
- Douglas County High School Freshman Football
- Douglas County High School IB Parent Organization
- Douglas County High School Inline Hockey Club
- Douglas County High School Lacrosse
- Douglas County High School Orchestra Parents
- Douglas County High School Wrestling