Douglas Elliman is the largest residential real estate brokerage in the New York metropolitan area and the fourth largest real estate company in the United States. The company has more than 70 offices and 4,000 real estate agents.
History and overview
Douglas Elliman was founded in 1911 as a basement store at 421 Madison Avenue in Manhattan. The company was sold to the Milstein family (Seymour Milstein and Paul Milstein) in 1989 and then again to Insignia Financial Group (now CB Richard Ellis). In 2003 Insignia sold Douglas Elliman to Montauk Battery Realty, an affiliate of Vector Group's New Valley LLC subsidiary.
In 2012, the company dropped “Prudential” from its name, returning to its original 1911 name. It is strategic partners with London-based Knight Frank LLP for residential business. Douglas Elliman affiliates include DE Property Management, DE Title and DE Capital Mortgage.
Douglas Elliman New York
Douglas Elliman operates in the New York Metropolitan area, with 22 offices in New York City, 26 offices in Long Island, nine offices in the Hamptons, and six offices in Westchester. The company releases quarterly market reports and guides by borough within New York City as well as for its other metropolitan location that are often used to measure real estate activity by entities such as The New York Times and Crain’s New York Business.
Douglas Elliman Florida
Douglas Elliman operates throughout South Florida, formerly under the name Douglas Elliman Florida, but is now called Douglas Elliman like it's New York counterpart. The company's Miami flagship office at 1111 Lincoln Road in South Beach, is one of five South Beach offices, with five additional offices in Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Palm Beach and Aventura.
Douglas Elliman Florida has also named former Major League Baseball player, Billy Bean, as Director of its new Sports & Entertainment Division. In September of 2013, Douglas Elliman named Jay Phillip Parker, a Florida attorney and real estate entrepreneur, as CEO of their Florida brokerage.
Douglas Elliman contributes to a variety of charities, some of which include the American Heart Association, Central Park Conservancy, the Gold Coast Film Festival, and Big Brothers Big Sisters of New York City. Causes unique to individual brokers are also listed on the company website. In 2013, the company donated $100,000 to the Southampton Hospital Foundation.
- Insignia Financial Group Sells Residential Business to Montauk Battery Realty, LLC | RISMedia
- "Douglas Elliman officially drops “Prudential” from brokerage name". The Real Deal. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "Douglas Elliman Celebrates South Florida Agents With 2012 Awards Ceremony At Cipriani". Yahoo! Finance. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Douglas Elliman Offices". Douglas Elliman Real Estate. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- Anuta, Joe. "Luxury housing market lifts Hamptons". Crain's New York. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- Finn, Robin. "Home Sales Rose in Tighter Manhattan Market, Report Says". The New York Times. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- "Douglas Elliman Offices in Florida". Douglas Elliman Real Estate. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- "Douglas Elliman Florida Drafts MLB Star Billy Bean for Sports & Entertainment Division". BillyBean.com. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- Bernstein, Fred A. "New Brokerage Donates Portion of Fees to Charity". The New York Times. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Douglas Elliman Real Estate Sponsors Annual Gold Coast Film Festival In Support Of Local Arts And Cinema". KCTV. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Douglas Elliman Donates $100K to Southampton Hospital Foundation from Sale of Former Hospital Thrift Shop". Southampton Hospital. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- Douglas Elliman Real Estate official website
- Douglas Elliman Florida South Florida subdivision
- DE Capital Mortgage - Partnership of Wells Fargo Ventures, LLC, and Douglas Elliman Real Estate
- Douglas Elliman Property Management
- John Holusha, Douglas Elliman Real Estate Brokerage to Be Sold, New York Times, May 29, 1999