He was the Istanbul bureau chief for the New York Times. He was the managing editor of The Los Angeles Times, from 2005 to 2007. He developed close links to the Turkish government when serving as the Istambul Bureau chief for the New York Times. He was chief investigator for the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
- 1993; 1998 Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting finalist
- 1993 Goldsmith Prize for Investigative Reporting
- Douglas Frantz, Catherine Collins (2000). Celebration, U.S.A.: living in Disney's brave new town. Macmillan. ISBN 978-0-8050-5561-0.
- Douglas Frantz, Catherine Collins (2003). Death on the Black Sea. Ecco. ISBN 978-0-06-621262-3.
- Douglas Frantz, Catherine Collins (2008). The Nuclear Jihadist. Grand Central Publishing. ISBN 978-0-446-50560-4.
- Douglas Frantz, Catherine Collins (2011). Fallout: The True Story of the CIA's Secret War on Nuclear Trafficking. Simon and Schuster. ISBN 978-1-4391-8306-9.
- Frantz, Douglas; Collins, Catherine. The New York Times http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/reference/timestopics/people/f/douglas_frantz/index.html
|url=missing title (help).
- "Douglas Frantz, former Times managing editor, to be chief investigator for Senate panel". Los Angeles Times. January 8, 2009.