Douglas L. Coleman
Douglas L. Coleman (born October 6, 1931 in Stratford, On Canada) is a scientist at The Jackson Laboratory. His work predicted that the ob gene encoded the hormone leptin, later co-discovered in 1994 by Jeffrey Friedman, Rudolph Leibel and their research teams at Rockefeller University. This work has had a major role in our understanding of the mechanisms regulating body weight and that cause of human obesity.
He obtained his BS degree from McMaster University in 1954 and his PhD in Biochemistry from the University of Wisconsin in 1958. He was elected a member of the US National Academy of Sciences in 1998. He won the Shaw Prize in 2009, the Albert Lasker Award for Basic Medical Research in 2010 and the 2012 BBVA Frontiers of Knowledge Award in the Biomedicine category jointly with Jeffrey M. Friedman for the discovery of leptin.
- Coleman, DL, Obese and Diabetes: two mutant genes causing diabetes-obesity syndromes in mice. Diabetologia, 1978, 14: 141-148.
- Green ED, Maffei M, Braden VV, Proenca R, DeSilva U, Zhang Y, Chua SC Jr, Leibel RL, Weissenbach J, Friedman JM. (August 1995). "The human obese (OB) gene: RNA expression pattern and mapping on the physical, cytogenetic, and genetic maps of chromosome 7". Genome Research 5 (1): 5–12. doi:10.1101/gr.5.1.5. PMID 8717050.
- Shell E (January 1, 2002). "Chapter 4: On the Cutting Edge". The Hungry Gene: The Inside Story of the Obesity Industry. Atlantic Monthly Press. ISBN 978-1-4223-5243-4.
- Shell E (January 1, 2002). "Chapter 5: Hunger". The Hungry Gene: The Inside Story of the Obesity Industry. Atlantic Monthly Press. ISBN 978-1-4223-5243-4.
- Zhang Y, Proenca R, Maffei M, Barone M, Leopold L, Friedman JM (December 1994). "Positional cloning of the mouse obese gene and its human homologue". Nature 372 (6505): 425–432. doi:10.1038/372425a0. PMID 7984236.
- Rosenbaum M (1998). "Leptin". The Scientist Magazine.
- Okie S (February 11, 2005). "Chapter 2: Obese Twins and Thrifty Genes". Fed Up!: Winning the War Against Childhood Obesity. Joseph Henry Press, an imprint of the National Academies Press. ISBN 978-0-309-09310-1.
- Zhang, Y, Proenca, P, Maffei, M, Barone, M, Leopold, L, Friedman, JM. Positional cloning of the mouse obese gene and its human homologue. Nature, 1994, 372: 425-432.