||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (November 2012)|
Douglas Lain (born 1970 in Memphis, Tennessee) is a postmodern writer whose books include the Bizarro fiction novella "Wave of Mutilation" from Eraserhead Press, and the magical realist novel Billy Moon which is due out from Tor Books in August 2013.
His short stories have appeared in genre magazines such as Interzone (magazine) and Amazing Stories as well as in online publications such as Pif Magazine and Strange Horizons. He has written nonfiction as well as fiction and is a blogger for Thought Catalog and The Partially Examined Life. Lain's fiction has been generally well received by critics in journals and periodicals such as Locus Magazine (Rich Horton// Locus Magazine; January 2012, Issue 612, Vol. 68 No. 1), Publisher's Weekly (Olson, Ray // Publishers Weekly; 12/19/2005, Vol. 252 Issue 50, p 46), and Rain Taxi Magazine (Dole, Kevin//Rain Taxi; Vol. 11 No. 2, Summer 2006, #42).
Lain is the host of the philosophy podcast "Diet Soap."
He lives in Portland, Oregon.
- Billy Moon, Tor Books (2013)
- "Wave of Mutilation", Fantastic Planet Press (2011)
- Pick Your Battle, Funded through Kickstarter (2011)
Short story collections
- Fall Into Time, Eraserhead Press (2011)
- Last Week's Apocalypse, Night Shade Books (2006)
- Wave of Mutilation, a novella Eraserhead Press, October 2011
- Pick Your Battle: Your Guide to Urban Foraging, Hollywood Movies, Late Capitalism, and the Communist Alternative (a memoir)
- Fall Into Time, Eraserhead Press, May 2011
- Last Week's Apocalypse, Night Shade Books, 2006
- Douglas Lain's Homepage, the author's official site. Includes his blog, bibliography, and links to some of his stories online.
- Diet Soap Podcast.
- Mahesh Raj Mohan interviews Douglas Lain for Strange Horizons, April 17, 2006
- Diet Soap Podcast #34-Reading of How to Cut Your Life to Pieces, December 2, 2009
- One Thousand Words Podcast: Conversations about the history of the Avant Garde
- Douglas Lain at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
Short stories available online
- Resurfacing Billy,"Futurismic November 2008.
- How to Cut Your Life to Pieces,"Farrago's Wainscot" May 2008.
- A Coffee Cup/Alien Invasion Story, Strange Horizons, 7 February 2005.
- Shopping at the End of the World, Strange Horizons, 22 September 2003.
- The '84 Regress, The Infinite Matrix, 5 May 2003.
- "Identity Is a Construct" (and Other Sentences), Strange Horizons, 14 January 2002.
- Free Speech and the End of the World, Pif Magazine, November 2001.