Douglas Lochhead FRSC (March 25, 1922 – March 15, 2011) was a Canadian poet who lived in Sackville, New Brunswick, of which town he was the official poet laureate. Born in Guelph, Ontario, Lochhead served in the Canadian Army during the Second World War, later taking degrees at McGill University and the University of Toronto.
From 1963 to 1975 he was a librarian and Senior Fellow of Massey College, University of Toronto. In 1975 Lochhead took up the position of Davidson Professor of Canadian Studies at Mount Allison University. The following year, he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, and received the Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal in 1977. The Bibliographical Society of Canada awarded Lochhead the Marie Tremaine Medal in 1985. In 1987 he received honorary doctorates from Saint Mary's University (D.Litt) and Dalhousie University (L.L.D). He received the 2005 Carlo Betocchi Poetry Prize, becoming the first non-Italian to be awarded this honour. In 2006 the University of New Brunswick awarded Lochhead an honorary doctor of letters degree. He was a Professor Emeritus of Mount Allison University.
- The Heart is Fire (1959)
- An old woman looks out on Gabarus Bay remembering history, June 8, 1958 (1959)
- It Is All Around (1960)
- Shepherds Before Kings (1963)
- Poet Talking (1964)
- A & B & C &: An Alphabet (1969)
- Millwood Road Poems (1970)
- Prayers in a Field: Ten Poems (1974)
- The Full Furnace: Collected Poems (1975)
- High Marsh Road: Lines for a Diary (1980) Published in Italian as La Strada di Tantramar (2004)
- A&E (1980)
- A&E. rev. ed. Harrier Editions, 1998. ISBN 0-919271-09-X
- Battle Sequence Poems (1980)
- The Panic Field: Prose Poems (1984)
- Tiger in the Skull: New and Selected PoemsFiddlehead Poetry Books/Goose Lane Editions (1986) ISBN 0-86492-072-5
- The Red Jeep and Other Landscapes: A Collection in Honour of Douglas Lochhead. Goose Lane Editions, 1987. ISBN 0-86492-063-6.
- Upper Cape Poems Goose Lane Editions(1989) ISBN 0-86492-100-4.
- Dykelands (With Thaddeus Holownia) (1989) ISBN 0-7735-0722-1
- Black Festival: A Long Poem (1991) ISBN 0-919271-03-0
- Homage to Henry Alline and Other Poems (1992) ISBN 0-86492-125-X
- Charlie, Boo Boo, Nutley Clutch and others: Twelve Canadian Jollies, Lovelies: Poems (1997)
- Breakfast at Mel's and Other Poems of Love and Places (1997) ISBN 0-86492-228-0
- All Things Do Continue: poems (1997) ISBN 0-9697802-5-7
- Millwood Road Poems (1998) ISBN 0-919271-10-3.
- The Lucretius Poems (1998) ISBN 0-919271-08-1
- Cape Engrage: Poems on a Raised Beach (2000)
- Yes, Yes, Yes! (2001)
- Orkney: October Diary (2002)
- Weathers: Poems New & Selected (2002)
- Midgic (2003)
- That Place by Tantramar: Sackville, New Brunswick (2007)
- Love on the Marsh (Sackville NB: Sybertooth, 2008) ISBN 978-0-9739505-3-3
- Looking into Trees (Sackville NB: Sybertooth, 2009) ISBN 978-0-9810244-3-1
- Letters from Helen, ed.(Sackville NB: Sybertooth, 2010) ISBN 978-0-9810244-9-3
- Coastlines: The Poetry of Atlantic Canada, ed. Anne Compton, Laurence Hutchman, Ross Leckie and Robin McGrath (Goose Lane Editions, 2002)
- Publisher bio & portrait
- Interview with Lochhead about his life & career
- Canadian Encyclopedia article on Lochhead