Douglas Spotted Eagle
|Douglas Spotted Eagle|
|Origin||Valley Junction, Iowa|
|Labels||Windham Hill Records|
Douglas Spotted Eagle, is a Grammy-winning musician, noted for his live and recorded performances on the traditional Native American flute, sometimes accompanied by either traditional Navajo (Diné) singers and instrumentalists or a modern band. He is listed in The Native American Almanac as a flutist who does traditional and new age music, and in World Music By Richard Nidel as a flutist and film composer "who incorporates synthesizers into Native sounds." He is also a lecturer and publisher of instructional books and DVDs for music and video computer software.
Many call his music "modern ethnic", as it mixes jazz, new age, pop, and world beat with Native American music. Spotted Eagle received a Grammy Award for his production of Gathering of Nations Powwow, and along with numerous collaborations has released 13 albums under his own name and contributor to several hundred others. His website shows him as producer of many recordings for Native American artists such as Nino Reyes, James Bilagody, Wil Numkena, Black Lodge Singers, and many many others.
He was raised in Valley Junction, Iowa, and has been building flutes since he was 12 years old, and he performed traditional music as well as being a guitarist for a popular rock and roll band after his family moved to Salt Lake City, Utah. He was married to a Diné woman from Bluff, Arizona. Spotted Eagle lives in Utah and works in support of youth anti-drug causes as well as being involved in the prevention of child abuse. After losing his son to suicide he became active in both Native and non-Native suicide prevention and awareness programs. He has been heavily involved in the Children's Justice Center as a fundraiser. He also teaches filmmaking to aspiring Native filmmakers. His recording include Canyon Speak Closer to Far Away', 'PRAY', Legend of the Flute Boy and Sacred Feelings.
Video production and software
Spotted Eagle is also involved in the field of video production and regularly writes articles for Videography, Studio, DMN, Creative COW, other magazines, and VASST, and tours doing training for Adobe, Apple, Sony Media Software. His interests outside of music and video production appear to include skydiving. Douglas was nearly killed in a skydiving accident when he made a piloting error. His music is featured and he is a producer of Sundance Media Group's 2002 video The Way of the Pow-Wow.
He is not an enrolled member of any tribe, yet grew up with both Lakota and Navajo families, the former of which gave him his name when he was 14 or 16. He does not claim tribal membership, but has several Lakota and Navajo family members on his Facebook page that call him "brother." His adoption into and of Native American culture as well as his use of a Native American name have come under scrutiny. He participated in the Sand Creek Massacre site location hearings in Montana, Denver, and Washington D.C..
- 1990 - Sacred Feelings (SOAR)
- 1991 - CanyonSpeak (SOAR; reissued 2000)
- 1991 - Legend of the Flute Boy (SOAR; reissued 2007)
- 1992 - Stand at the Center (Natural Visions NV101)
- 1993 - Human Rites (Natural Visions NV102)
- 1994 - Ultimate Collection (Natural Visions/NV103)
- 1994 - Common Ground (Natural Visions/NV106)
- 1995 - Between Father Sky and Mother Earth by Various Artists
- 1996 - Closer to far Away (Windham Hill/BMG)
- 1997 - Tenaya: Ode to Yosemite (Natural Visions/NV120)
- 1998 - Pray (Higher Octave)
- 1999 - Voices
- Spotted Eagle, Douglas (1997). Voices of Native America. Illustrated by Ralph L. Smith. Eagle's View Pub., ISBN 0-943604-56-7. ISBN 9780943604565120.
- Making Indian Bows and Arrows the Old Way Publisher: Eagles View Publishing; Eagle's View Publishing Ed edition (June 1, 1978)
- Making Arrows the Old Way (1977) Publisher: Eagles View Publishing; Eagle's View Publishing
- Pow Wow Highway; Dances of Native America
- Vegas Pro Editing Workshop (2012) ISBN 0240823699
- Using Soundtrack: Produce Original Music for Video, DVD, and Multimedia (2004) ISBN 978-1578202294
- Instant Digital Audio: VASST Instant Series (2005)ISBN 978-1578202768
- Vegas Editing Workshop (2005) ISBN 1578202795
- The Book of Wingsuit Formations (2013) ASIN: B00BNHQ9U4
- The DV Production Guide
- The Guerilla Filmmaker's Workshop (2005)
- Instant Sound Forge (VASST) (2004)
- Instant Adobe Encore (2005)
- YouTube for Dummies (technical editor)
- Basics of Digital Video (Sony) (2006)
- The Full HD: A Complete Guide to High Definition Video (2011)
- HDV: What You NEED to Know (2008)
- Beyond the Full HD (4K/8K) third ed (2013)
- The Native American Almanac by Arlene B. Hirschfelder, Martha Kreipe De Montaño http://books.google.com/books?id=vzAralcZfWUC&q=Douglas+Spotted+Eagle&dq=Douglas+Spotted+Eagle&lr=&pgis=1
- World Music by Richard Nidel, p. 311
- The Native American Almanac By Arlene B. Hirschfelder, Martha Kreipe De Montaño page 174
- Handbook of Native American Mythology by Dawn E page 244 http://books.google.com/books?id=IsyQu1kDK-kC&pg=PA244&dq=Douglas+Spotted+Eagle&lr=
- Halfbreed by David F. Halaas, Andrew E. Masich prologue p. vii http://books.google.com/books?id=_8_i4RoC-c4C&pg=PR7&dq=Douglas+Spotted+Eagle&lr=#PPR7,M1
- Source for The Great Plains Region by Amanda Rees The Greenwood Encyclopedia of Regional Cultures http://books.google.com/books?id=v0MpNai3xdMC&pg=PA353&dq=Douglas+Spotted+Eagle&lr=#PPP1,M1