February 17, 1957 |
Somerville, New Jersey
Douglas Urbanski (born February 17, 1957) is an American film producer, theater impresario, raconteur, and occasional film actor and talk show host.
Life and career
In 1997 Urbanski received the British Academy Award for Outstanding British Film of The Year for Nil By Mouth, written and directed by Gary Oldman, and for which Oldman received the Best Original Screenplay British Academy Award. The film received a total of 4 nominations for the 1997 BAFTA's. For 1997's Cannes Film Festival, Nil By Mouth was selected to inaugurate the Main Competition and received the 1997 Cannes Film Festival Award for actress Kathy Burke. In 1998 the film received six nominations for the British Independent Film Awards, and won three awards.
In 2010, he was featured in David Fincher and Aaron Sorkin's Academy Award winning motion picture The Social Network, playing the role of Larry Summers, for which he received personal acclaim and shared the Hollywood Ensemble Acting Award from the Hollywood Film Festival along with Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield, and Justin Timberlake.
In 2010/11 he Executive Produced the film version of John leCarre's Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, which stars Gary Oldman as master spy George Smiley, and also features Colin Firth, Tom Hardy, and Kathy Burke and is directed by Tomas Alfredson. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy received Eleven 2012 British Academy Award Nominations, including Best Picture, Best Actor, and Best Director; the film has also received three Oscar Nominations for the 2012 Academy Awards. The film won the 2012 British Academy Award for Outstanding British Film of The Year, making it the second Urbanski associated film to win the prize.
Since 2010, Urbanski has been part of the continuing rotation as a guest host on The Rush Limbaugh Show, when Rush is away, where Urbanski's popularity with the audience has earned him the nickname "America's Guest Host".
During 2013, Urbanski Executive Produces the screen version of Tom Rob Smith's acclaimed novel, Child 44. The film, directed by Daniel Espinosa, stars Gary Oldman, Tom Hardy, Joel Kinnaman, Jason Clarke, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Noomi Rapace.
In 2014, Urbanski once again appeared on screen as an actor, playing the role of Mayor Durant, the Mayor of Detroit, in the MGM/Sony reboot RoboCop.
- Whirling upstream in Hollywood: Douglas Urbanski | Spero News
- Home | Douglas Management Group
- Douglas Urbanski, Biography | Douglas Management Group
- 'Network' cast to be honored in Hollywood, UPI, October 1, 2010
- The Larry Summers moment in "The Social Network," and how actor Douglas Urbanski nailed it, The Washington Post, October 7, 2010
- Bamigboye, Baz (October 22, 2010). "BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Why Kathy Burke is coming in from the cold". Daily Mail (London).
- Douglas Urbanski, IMDb
- Archives - Rush Limbaugh - The Rush Limbaugh Show
- Profile at Douglas Management Group
- Douglas Urbanski at the Internet Movie Database
- Douglas Urbanski at the Internet Broadway Database