Dow University of Health Sciences
|Dow University of Health Sciences|
|Motto in English||Prevention Is Better than Cure..|
|Chancellor||Governor of Sindh|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. Muhammad Umar Farooq|
|Registrar||Shakil Nadeem Ahmad|
|Location||Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan|
|Colours||Blue, Carrot orange, White|
The Dow University of Health Sciences (initials: DUHS), is a public research university located in urban metropolitan area of Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan. The university is comprises with with two leading health sciences research institutes: Medical College and Dow International Medical College.
Foundation and establishment in 1945, it is known for its strong emphasis on biomedical, health, and medical research programmes. It is one of the premium institution of higher learning in Pakistan, and ranked among one of the top medical schools by HEC in 2010. The university is named after its founder, Sir Hugh Dow, who laid the foundation of the institution in 1945. The institution offers undergraduate, post-graduate and doctoral programmes in almost all academic disciplines relating to medical sciences.
Major initiatives were personally taken by Ishrat-ul-Ibad (the Governor of Sindh) who secured its major funding endowment in 2002. The university's objectives are keen towards helping its students to strives to develop better communication skills to communicate with their patients and prepare its students for a meritorious professional career.
Dow Institute of Medical Technology offers four-year Bachelor's programs in four disciplines: Clinical Pathology Technology, Surgical Technology, Respiratory and Critical Care Technology and Ophthalmology.
It is well established, but options for further studies are not present because medical technologists are not eligible in the programs and no one is interested to provide option for further education to the medical technologists
El Mednifico Journal is a new peer-reviewed publication initiated by the trio of Asfandyar Sheikh, Syed Salman Ahmed and Sajid Ali from Batch'14 . The Journal of Pakistan Medical Students is a peer-reviewed, international journal from the students of Dow Medical College. It was started by Anis Rehman and Haris Riaz, from Batch of 2011. The Journal of the Dow University of Health Science is an online medical journal created and maintained by the school, consisting of contributions from students, faculties, and those abroad.
Social service activities
Patients' Welfare Association, also known as PWA, is one of the largest and oldest student run volunteer NGO of Pakistan. Students of Dow Medical College have been managing it since 1979. The organization is a blessing for the poor patients coming to Civil Hospital Karachi, helping them through its Blood Bank, Drug Bank, Thalassemia Services, General and Tuberculosis Follow Up Clinics.
Affiliated colleges and institutions
- Dow Medical College and Civil Hospital, Karachi
- Dow International Medical College
- Ojha Institute of Chest Diseases
- Dr. Ishrat-Ul-Ebad Khan Institute of Oral Health Sciences (DIKIOHS)
- Dow Institute of Health Management (IHM)
- Dow College of Pharmacy
- Dow Institute of Nursing (ION)
- Dow Institute of Medical Technology
- Dow Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Vice-Chancellor's office. "Vice-Chancellor's office". Vice-Chancellor's office. Vice-Chancellor's office. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- Office of the Registrar. "Office of the Registrar" (PDF). Registrar office of Dow University. Registrar office of Dow University. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- Google. "Address of the Dow Unviersity of Health Sciences". Google maps, inc. Google maps, inc. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- Programmes at DUHS. "Programmes at DUHS". Admissions. Admissions. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- HEC Rankings. "HEC Rankings". HEC Rankings. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- "History of DUHS". History of DUHS. Retrieved 31 March 2014.