Dowling Catholic High School
|Dowling Catholic High School|
Veritas ∙ Fides ∙ Sapientia
Truth ∙ Faith ∙ Wisdom
|1400 Buffalo Road
West Des Moines, Iowa, (Polk County), 50265
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Chaplain||Father Zach Kautzky|
|Chief custodian||Robert Sparks|
|Faculty||96 (all straight)|
|Average class size||300|
|Student to teacher ratio||18:1|
|Color(s)||Maroon and White|
|Athletics conference||Central Iowa Metro League|
|Dean of Students||Grant Bousum|
|Admissions Director||Tatia Eischeid|
|Athletic Director||Tom Wilson|
In 1972, it was created by the merger of St. Joseph Academy for girls (established in 1885) and Dowling High School for boys (established in 1918 as the Des Moines College boarding school for boys). Approximately 1435 students currently attend Dowling Catholic High School.
During the 2003-04 school year, Dowling Catholic High School was recognized with the Blue Ribbon School Award of Excellence by the United States Department of Education, the highest award an American school can receive.
Total tuition cost for 2014-2015 is $9,766 for Freshmen, Sophomores, and Juniors; the tuition for seniors is $9,766. Tuition for students belonging to a Catholic Parish is $6,984 for 9th through 11th grades; 12th graders pay $6,984. 
Dowling Catholic baseball is coached by Tim O'Neill. The Maroons hold the record for most team home runs during a championship game with 5 in 2001.
|Baseball State Championships|
Dowling has made it to State in baseball 13 times
|State Boys Basketball Championships|
Dowling has made it to the Iowa boys basketball state tournament nine times. Bobby Hansen who later played at the University of Iowa and nine years in the NBA, was on the 1979 state championship team.
The girls Cross Country coach is Fr. Jim Kirby.
|State Cross Country Team Championships|
- 2011 State Champion
- 2010 State Champion
- 2009 State Champion
- 2008 State Champion
- 2007 State Champions
- 2007 Girls Heartland Regional Champions
The boy's team is coached by athletic trainer Tim Ives. Dowling has 11 Top 8 Finishes in Boys Cross Country.
|State Cross Country Team Championships|
- 2012 State Champions
- 2011 State Champions
- 1985 State Champions
- 1974 State Champions
- 2000 Individual Champion Ben Glaser (15:22)
- 2012 Individual Champion Jason Thomas (15:02)
Dowling Catholic is coached by Tom Wilson. Home games are played at the 8,000 seat Valley Stadium in West Des Moines or at Drake Stadium in Des Moines. The Maroons have a winning percentage (68.1%) and an all-time 284-109 win-loss record including a 37-30 W-L record in the playoffs. Their 30 playoff appearances is #2 in any classification. Dowling has also tied Valley in the number of consecutive trips going to playoffs.
Dowling made the playoffs 17 years in a row beginning in 1985 and ending in 2002 when Dowling missed the playoffs. The school won 36 consecutive games in the 1967 through 1971 graduating class seasons. Dowling won 64 consecutive Metro conference games, a streak lasting from 1968 to 1977. In addition to the 64 metro games Dowling also won 57 consecutive conference games lasting from 1993 to 2002. WDM, Valley is Dowling's primary rival since 1968 when the schools joined the Des Moines Metro Conference. Dowling has 23 or higher quarterfinal finishes. Albert Smith has the school receiving record with 1,044 receiving yards and 15 Touchdowns in 1990. Rich Lowery has the school passing record with 2,105 passing yards in 1991. Grant Mayfield has the school rushing record with 2,049 yards in 2008 and 31 touchdowns.
|State 4-A Football Championships|
|2000||Champion (13-0)||35-28||Bettendorf (11-2)|
|2001||Champion (13-0)||35-15||Iowa City High (12-1)|
|2010||Champion (14-0)||38-31(OT)||Iowa City High (13-1)|
|2013||Champion (14-0)||44-13||Cedar Rapids Xavier (12-2)|
|2014||Champion (13-1)||49-14||Washington High School (13-1)|
Band directors Steve Holland and Nick Hoover have led the Dowling Catholic Marching Band to many high placements in band competitions. At the Eden Prairie: Prairie Colors tournament on October 11, 2008 in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, Dowling received a first place overall, best drumline, and best winds in the class 2-A competition.
|2008 Marching Competition Awards and Placement|
|Location and Date||Awards|
|Iowa City High- October 4, 2008||Best Drumline, Best Drum Majors, 2nd place|
|Cedar Rapids Jefferson- October 4, 2008||Best Drumline, 3rd place|
|Eden Prairie, Minnesota- October 11, 2008||Best Drumline, Best Winds, 1st place|
|Ankeny- October 18, 2008||Best Drumline, 5th place|
Head boys swim coach Mark Crouch has led the Boys' swimming team to championships for four years; 2000-2003. Dowling has 15 Top 8 Finishes in Boys Swimming. Frankie Hanson and Becca Bott coach girls Varsity and JV swimming. New Head Coach Nate Zittergruen lead the boys to become conference and district champions in 2010 and ended up second at the state meet.
|Boys-2A State of Iowa High School Tennis Championships|
|Year||Team Titles/Player Titles/Notable Player Results||Opponent||Score|
|1992||2A-Team Title||Cedar Rapids Kennedy High School||5-3|
|1999||2A-Singles (Pete Cownie) Title||Valley High School||7-5, 6-4|
|2000||2A-Singles (Jon Hoak) Title||Cedar Rapids Washington High School||3-6, 6-2, 7-5|
|2001||2A-Doubles (Jon Swanson-Charlie Smith) Title||Burlington High School||6-1, 6-1|
|2001||2A-Team Title||Dubuque Senior High School||5-3|
|2011||2A-Singles (Elliot Baker) Title||DM Roosevelt High School||6-0, 6-1|
|Dowling Catholic High School "All-Time Historical" Boys-2A State of Iowa|
|"Individual Tennis Tournament" Team Roster|
|Player Name||Class Grad Year||Years signifies notable performance in the Championship Tourn.|
|Baker, Elliott||'11||2009, 2010, 2011|
|Barber, Nate||'94||1992, 1994|
|Cownie, Paul||'94||1993, 1994|
|Cownie, Pete||'99||1998, 1999|
|Hamilton, Parker||'99||1997, 1998, 1999|
|Olson, Justin||'99||1997, 1998, 1999|
|Schuster, Bill||'80||1977, 1979, 1980|
|Swanson, Jon||'02||2001, 2002|
- Dowling in team competition currently has made it to the Boy's State of Iowa Tennis Team Championship Tournament seven times in 1990, 1991, 1992, 1998, 1999, 2001 and 2002. In the first noteworthy historical appearance of Dowling Catholic Boy's Tennis Program since the State Tournament was started in 1929 happened in The 1979 Boy's State of Iowa Tennis Championship Tournament where the 2-A doubles team of Bill Schuster-Jim Joerger of Dowling surprisingly advanced to the semi-finals of the 1979 Boy's State Doubles Championship Tournament losing to The Boy's State of Iowa Championship Tennis Team from Bettendorf High School. It was the first time a Dowling Catholic High School Tennis Player ever placed in Singles or Doubles competition in the Boy's State of Iowa High School Tennis Championship Tournament in 50 years.
- Dowling has Won State Dual Wrestling Championships in 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, and 1992
- Dowling has Won the State Traditional Wrestling Championship in 1975, 1978, 1984, 1988, 1990, and 1991
- Scott Killings 1975
- Dave Schreck 1975
- Perry Hummel 1977-1978
- Brian Neal 1977
- John Campana 1978
- Bob Hallman 1979
- Rick DeBartolo 1980-1981
- Jeff Carter 1981
- Matt Egeland 1981
- Mike Guthrie 1983
- Chris Bazzocco 1984
- Ken Lewton 1985
- Tim Anderson 1987-1988
- Jeff Theiler 1988-1989-1990
- Curtis White 1988
- Curt Engler 1988
- Cory Manning 1989
- Brad Henry 1989
- Jason Jewett 1990
- Joe Piazza 1990
- Mark Fox 1991
- Chris Coppola 1992
- Matt Mulvihill 1993
- Steve Blackford 1995-1996
- Micah Daggy 1996
- MacJohn Daggy 1997
|State Wrestling Team Championships|
- Dowling has 13 Top 3 or Higher Finishes at the State Traditional Tournament
- Dowling has had 7 Top 2 or Higher Finishes at the State Dual Tournament
- Dowling has the state record for most consecutive dual wins with 136
- Michael Annett, professional NASCAR driver
- Jerry Groom (class of 1950), College Football Hall of Fame member offensive lineman
- Bobby Hansen, Former University of Iowa Hawkeye, Utah Jazz and Chicago Bulls basketball player.
- Bob Harlan, Former President of the Green Bay Packers[when?]
- Tom Harkin, United States Senator (Iowa)
- Matt Macri, MLB 3rd baseman for the Minnesota Twins
- Mike Mahoney, former MLB catcher for the Chicago Cubs and St. Louis Cardinals
- Matt McCoy, Iowa State Senator and author of "McCoy, You're Going Straight to Hell." Possible candidate for Congress in Iowa's 3rd district
- Scott Pose, 1985 Major League Baseball player for the Florida Marlins, New York Yankees, and Kansas City Royals
- Tyson Smith, linebacker for the Iowa Barnstormers
- Ross Verba, former NFL lineman for the Green Bay Packers and Cleveland Browns
- Joel Dickinson, Billboard charting producer and remixer for recording artists (including Whitney Houston, Cyndi Lauper and Junior Vasquez)
- Fred L. Turner, CEO of McDonalds[when?]
- Shawn Crahan, Percussionist for Slipknot[when?]
Dowling has been accused of discriminatory practices for its refusing to promote a substitute teacher and track coach to a full-time position after learning that the teacher is gay. Although Dowling is exempt from state anti-discrimination laws as a religious institution, the event still resulted in a protest in which current students walked out of class to join alumni in a protest gathering.
- Sioux Valley News, August 5, 1885, pg. 2
- Des Moines Daily News, September 7, 1918, pg. 1
- U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon Schools Program: Schools Recognized 2003 through 2006 (PDF), United States Department of Education. Accessed May 11, 2006.
- CIBA cited as one of the best by Education Department, Journal Inquirer, November 16, 2006. "The Blue Ribbon award is given only to schools that reach the top 10 percent of their state's testing scores over several years or show significant gains in student achievement. It is considered the highest honor a school can achieve."
- Viers Mill School Wins Blue Ribbon; School Scored High on Statewide Test; The Washington Post. September 29, 2005, "For their accomplishments, all three schools this month earned the status of Blue Ribbon School, the highest honor the U.S. Education Department can bestow upon a school."
- STATE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME RECORDS- Baseball, Iowa High School Athletic Association. Accessed February 18, 2008.
- SUMMER STATE CHAMPIONSHIP RESULTS - Baseball, Iowa High School Athletic Association. Accessed February 18, 2008.
- "IHSAA Basketball Champtionship Game Results through 2013" (PDF). Iowa High School Athletic Association. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "2013 Cros Country Stat Book" (PDF). Iowa High School Athletic Association. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- Jerry "Boomer" Groom, College Football Hall of Fame Accessed February 19, 2008.
- Peterson, Randy Bobby Hansen, Des Moines, 1999, Des Moines Register, July 25, 1999; accessed February 19, 2008. "Graduated from West Des Moines Dowling High School in 1979, graduated University of Iowa in 1983."
- Miller, Judith. "Tom Harkin's Old-Time Religion", The New York Times, February 9, 1992. Accessed November 6, 2007. "After his mother died, Harkin, an altar boy, went to Dowling Catholic High School in Des Moines and won a Navy R.O.T.C. scholarship to college."
- Bolten, Kathy A. (8 April 2015). "Gay teacher denied job applauds outpouring of support". Des Moines Register.