Downers Grove South High School
|Downers Grove South High School|
|1436 Norfolk St.
Downers Grove, Illinois, 60516
|School district||Community HS Dist. 99|
|Average class size||21.0|
|School colour(s)||navy blue
|Athletics conference||West Suburban Conference|
|Average ACT scores||22.0|
|Radio station||WDGC (88.3 FM)|
|Cable TV Station||Channel 29|
Downers Grove South High School, or DGS, and locally referred to as "South," is a public four-year high school located at the corner of Dunham Road and 63rd Street in Downers Grove, Illinois, a western suburb of Chicago, Illinois, in the United States. It is part of Community High School District 99, which also includes Downers Grove North High School. The South campus draws students from Downers Grove (south of 55th St.), the majority of Woodridge, a large portion of Darien (west of Cass Ave.), and small sections of Bolingbrook and Westmont.
The school opened its doors in 1964 and the student population at Downers Grove High School was split in two, half going to the original structure now named Downers Grove North, and half going to the new building. It has since undergone significant renovations to bring it up to date, including a $49.5 million voter referendum for the district in 2001. In the summer of 2008 the school embarked on a parking space expansion on campus, which had been plagued by delays. Despite several causes for postponement, parking lot adjustments were prepared in time to effectively start the 2008—09 school year. On Friday, 22 June 2011 at around 8:30 pm, South High School received extensive damage to its outdoor sports areas during a two-minute EF1 tornado: fences around the tennis courts were flattened, portable toilets and rows of bleachers were flipped upside-down as well as some fallen branches across the school's football/soccer field.
In 2008, Downers Grove South had an average composite ACT score of 22.0, 0.5 points above the state average. DGS graduated 96.7% of its senior class. Downers Grove South has not made Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) on the Prairie State Achievement Examination, which with the ACT, are the assessment tools used to fulfill mandates of the federal No Child Left Behind Act. While the school as a whole did make AYP, two of the six student subgroups failed to meet expectations in reading.
South competes in the West Suburban Conference. The school is also a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA), which governs most sports and competitive activities in the state of Illinois. The school teams are stylized as the Mustangs.
The school sponsors interscholastic teams for young men and women in: basketball, cross country, golf, gymnastics, soccer, swimming & diving, tennis, track & field, and volleyball. Young men may compete in baseball, football, and wrestling, while young women may also compete in badminton, bowling, cheerleading, and softball. The DGS Fillies (Varsity) and Pintos (JV) dance and pom teams perform at half time of men's home football and basketball games and compete at the Team Dance Illinois State Competition every year.
The following teams have won in their respective IHSA sponsored state tournament or meet:
- Football: State Champions (2001—02)
- Soccer (boys): State Champions (2004—05)
- Softball: State Champions (1992—93)
- Volleyball (girls): State Champions (1996—97, 99—2000, 02—03)
- Volleyball (boys): State Champions (2012—13)
Downers Grove South has won several state championship for its extracurricular activities in its history, including (as of 2008[update]) three in performance in the round, two in chess, and three from the Fillies Pom and Dance Team. The Coed Cheerleading team also won Back to Back State Championships in 2003 and 2004 and Back to Back National Championships in 2004 and 2005. Its speech team has won sixteen state championships, more than any other school. In 1997 it became the only team to win the speech state championship four years in a row, and in 2009 the only school to win that same title 6 years in a row.
Other School Activities Include:
- Nick Burdi, baseball player
- Greg Corner, bass guitarist for Kill Hannah and Co-Host and Musical Director for JBTV. 
- Lauren Frost, actress
- Emo Philips, comedian
- History of District 99; accessed 15 July 2009[dead link]
- District 99 Administration; accessed 15 July 2009[dead link]
- Administrative directory for DGSHS; accessed 15 July 2009[dead link]
- Staff directory for DGSHS; accessed 15 July 2009[dead link]
- Class of 2008 school report card; accessed 15 July 2009[dead link]
- School information for DGSHS; ihsa.org; accessed 15 July 2009
- Directory of Clubs at DGSHS; accessed 15 July 2009[dead link]
- Curricular activities directory for DGSHS; accessed 15 July 2009[dead link]
- Competitive activities at DGSHS; accessed 15 July 2009[dead link]
- [dead link]
- Confirmed: Tornadoes Hit Downers Grove, Mount Prospect « CBS Chicago
- List of teams; DGSHS Athletic Department; accessed 15 July 2009
- Season summaries for DGSHS; ihsa.org; accessed 15 July 2009
- IHSA Table of Titles
- IHSA Individual Events Team Champions and Runners-Up
- "Burdi excited for MLB draft | Suburban Life Media". Mysuburbanlife.com. Retrieved 2013-10-26.
- "Lauren Frost". IMDb. Retrieved 1/24/2013.