Downers Grove Township, DuPage County, Illinois
|Downers Grove Township|
Location in DuPage County
DuPage County's location in Illinois
|Settled||November 6, 1849|
|• Supervisor||Frank J. Wurster (R)|
|• Total||50.93 sq mi (131.9 km2)|
|• Land||49.56 sq mi (128.4 km2)|
|• Water||1.36 sq mi (3.5 km2) 2.67%|
|Elevation||758 ft (231 m)|
|• Density||2,961.9/sq mi (1,143.6/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||60439, 60480, 60514-60517, 60521, 60523, 60527, 60559, 60561|
|GNIS feature ID||0428909|
Downers Grove Township is one of nine townships in DuPage County, Illinois, USA. As of the 2010 census, its population was 146,795 and it contained 60,438 housing units. It is the largest township in the county, both in terms of area and population.
Downers Grove Township is named for Pierce Downer, who settled in the neighborhood about 1830.
Back in the 1800s, the town's residents buried people at a cemetery called Main Street Cemetery. That cemetery was close to a creek. There was flooding and icy conditions around the creek, which made burying people near it difficult to do. To find a new spot to bury people, the town's people asked a wealthy resident named Dexter Stanley, who owned large amounts of land, to donate some of his land to build a new cemetery. He agreed, and the town built the Oak Hill Cemetery. The cemetery is still used today.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 50.93 square miles (131.9 km2), of which 49.56 square miles (128.4 km2) (or 97.31%) is land and 1.36 square miles (3.5 km2) (or 2.67%) is water.
Cities, towns, villages
- Bolingbrook (partial)
- Burr Ridge (west three-quarters)
- Clarendon Hills
- Downers Grove (southeast three-quarters)
- Hinsdale (partial)
- Lemont (partial)
- Oak Brook (partial)
- Westmont (south three-quarters)
- Willow Springs (partial)
- Woodridge (partial)
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
- Tedens at
(These towns are listed as "historical" by the USGS.)
The township contains these ten cemeteries: Cass, Clarendon Hills, Downers Grove, Fullersburg, Hinsdale Animal, Oak Hill, Pierce Downer, Saint Johns Lutheran, Saint Mary of Gostyn and Saint Patricks Catholic.
Airports and landing strips
- Argonne Heliport
- Brookridge Airport
- Darien-Woodridge Fire Department Heliport
- Madison Avenue Venture Heliport
- Midwest Heliport
- Bruce Lake
- Golfview Lake
- Maple Lake
- Picadilly Lake
- Ruth Lake
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Dupage County Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve
- Westmont Community Unit School District 201
- Illinois's 13th congressional district
- State House District 42
- State House District 47
- State House District 82
- State Senate District 21
- State Senate District 24
- State Senate District 41
- "Downers Grove Township, DuPage County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-01-10.
- United States Census Bureau 2008 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States National Atlas
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 108.
- "Cemeteries". Downers Grove Township. Downers Grove, Illinois. 2011. Retrieved 7 November 2014.
||Milton Township||York Township||Proviso Township, Cook County|
|Lisle Township||Lyons Township, Cook County|
|DuPage Township, Will County||Lemont Township, Cook County||Palos Township, Cook County|