|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2008)|
|Country of origin||U.S.|
|Official website||RCRD LBL|
Downtown Music, LLC is an independently owned American company which operates, Downtown Music Publishing, Downtown Music Services (Licensing Group), Downtown Digital/RCRD LBL and Downtown Recording Studios. Downtown was founded in January 2006 by Josh Deutsch, former Senior Vice President of A&R at Virgin Records, Terence Lam, formerly a senior executive at VH1, and John Josephson, a Managing Director at Allen & Company LLC. Offices are located in New York and Los Angeles. Downtown Records is distributed by Universal Music's Fontana and has a joint venture with Atlantic Records in North America for specific releases. Downtown Records consists of its Downtown and Mercer Street Imprints and joint venture partners Dim Mak, Fool's Gold, and Mad Decent Records.
Downtown has a series of strategic investments in the digital space, including a partnership with Engadget founder Peter Rojas in RCRD LBL, the critically acclaimed online singles label in blog format.
- "Downtown Records Rides Crest of Paradigm Shift", Lee, Chris, Los Angeles Times, July 25, 2008.
- "They Signed Gnarls Barkley: How upstart record labels score big-name acts, make download music history and compete with the majors" Gangemi, Jeffrey, Businessweek, June 28, 2006.
- "Gnarls Barkley to the Rescue", Leonard, Devin, Fortune, November 27, 2006.
- "New Label 'Crazy' Like a Fox", Lauria, Peter, The New York Post
- "Music Test: Can a Firm Profit from Free Tunes?", Smith, Ethan, The Wall Street Journal, November 15, 2007
- "Downtown and Dim Mak Labels Join Forces", Mills, Fred Harp, January 28, 2008.
- "Fools Gold Inks Joint Venture with Downtown Music" Press Release, July 16, 2008
- "Diplo Takes Mad Decent Downtown"
- "Downtown Links with Fontana, Interscope", Harding, Cortney, Billboard, September 5, 2008.