Downtown West End, Calgary
|Downtown West End|
Condominiums in the Downtown West End
|• Mayor||Naheed Nenshi|
|• Administrative body||Calgary City Council|
|• Councillor||Evan Woolley|
|Elevation||1,050 m (3,440 ft)|
|• Average Income||$47,964|
|Website||Downtown West End Community Association|
The Downtown West End is a neighbourhood within the western portions of downtown Calgary, Alberta, Canada. It is bounded to the north by the Bow River, to the east by 9th Street W, to the south by the CPR Tracks and to the west by 14th Street W.
Downtown Calgary was established as a neighbourhood in 1884, after the arrival of the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1883. It is represented in the Calgary City Council by the Ward 8 councillor, on a provincial level by Calgary-Buffalo MLA Kent Hehr, and at federal level by Calgary Centre MP Lee Richardson.
The Shaw Millennium Park and Mewata Armouries are located in the western area of the neighbourhood, while paved multi-use (bicycle, walking, rollerblading, etc.) paths line the northern rim along the Bow River.
In the City of Calgary's 2012 municipal census, Downtown West End had a population of  With a land area of 0.4 km2 (0.15 sq mi), it had a population density of 5,800/km2 (15,000/sq mi) in 2012.2,322 living in 1,628 dwellings, a -6.5% increase from its 2011 population of 2,483.
Residents in this community had a median household income of $47,964 in 2000, and there were 25.6% low income residents living in the neighbourhood. As of 2000, 20.2% of the residents were immigrants. A proportion of 93.4% of the buildings were condominiums or apartments, and 53.9% of the housing was used for renting.
- "Calgary Elections". City of Calgary. October 21, 2013. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- City of Calgary (2006). "Downtown West End Community Statistics" (PDF). Retrieved 2007-05-22.
- Calgary Communities. "Downtown West Community Association". Retrieved 2007-05-23.
- "2012 Civic Census Results" (PDF). City of Calgary. 2012. Retrieved February 4, 2013.
- "Community Boundaries" (ESRI SHAPEFILE). City of Calgary. Retrieved February 5, 2013.
- City of Calgary (2004). "Ward 8 Profile" (PDF). Retrieved 2007-05-22.
|Prince's Island Park