June 22, 1966
Taipei, Taiwan (Republic of China)
|Alma mater||National Taiwan College of Performing Arts|
|Occupation||Film director, producer, screenwriter, actor, show host|
"Doze" Niu Chen-Zer (Chinese: 鈕承澤; pinyin: Niǔ Chéngzé; Wade–Giles: Niu Ch'eng-tse; born: June 22, 1966) is a Taiwanese actor, film director, show host, screenwriter and producer. As a film director, he is best known for the Taiwanese film Monga.
Life and career
Doze started his career as an actor at the age of 9 and nominated his first Golden Horse Award for the best supporting actor in 1983 (Growing Up) when he was 17. The early success that he has had did not help him all that much as he grew older. At the age of 19, Doze could not find any roles in films and started squandering his time away. He started hanging out with the so called “corner brothers” and had improved his Taiwanese tremendously. By speaking fluent Hokkien, he was able to get along with the islanders even though the origin of his family is Beijing. Hardship was all too familiar to Niu as he had endured many difficulties and depression ever since he was young. At the age of 12, his dad was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. This disease, the same disease that troubled Stephen Hawking, put Doze’s dad on the bed for a good 25 years. His dad had died when Niu is 36. During Doze’s school years, he was often bullied because of his celebrity status and because of his size. The bullying all stopped when Niu became friends with a notorious classmate nicknamed “teapot”. Similar to the plot of Monga, teapot’s dad was also the head of one of the gangsters. Eventually, Doze went to find his bullies with teapot and was surprised to see the bullies’ reaction. The bullies stood still in front of them and addressed Doze in a polite manner.
Doze is the founder of the production company Red Bean Production Co, which was created on August 2002. Doze participated in all three movies that he directed but vowed to not appear in anymore movies so that he can focus entirely on directing the movie.
What On Earth Have I Done Wrong?!
“What on Earth Have I Done Wrong” is the first dramatic film that Niu directed. This movie has a unique cinematic style. The main actor in the movie is Doze Niu himself. Although the movie is not an auto biography, there are a lot of resemblance between him and the character. The character in the movie is also a director attempting to gather enough money to produce a mockumentory film. The film was initially about the politics in Taiwan; however, Niu took a completely different turn with the film and focused the film on the character. A lot of media commented that this film is a half-biography or a documentary. The film was nominated for the best picture award for Golden Horse Film Festival and it won the FIPRESCI Prize.
Doze once again demonstrated his unique and artsy way of storytelling. Monga is a gangster movie that sets place at the Wanhua District of Taipei and has a cast of mainly young actors like Mark Chao and Ethan Juan. Doze Niu also participated in the movie as the head of the gang from the mainlander. The movie became an instant success at the Taiwanese box office grossing more than 1.8 million$ in US. In terms of the money grossed, the movie is often compared to the movie Cape No. 7 released in 2008 which did well in the Taiwanese box office as well.
|1983||The Boys From Fengkuei||風櫃來的人|
|1985||Tong Chee yi li nan||唐朝綺麗男|
|1987||The Game They Called Sex||黃色故事|
|1989||Fang cao bi lian tian||芳草碧連天|
|1999||March of Happiness||天馬茶房|
|1999||A Chance to Die||想死趁現在|
|2007||What on Earth Have I Done Wrong?!||情非得已之生存之道|
|1987||After the game||遊戲之後|
|2001||Story of a stone||石頭的故事|
|2001||Kiss of the toast||吐司男之吻|
|2004||Say Yes Enterprise||求婚事務所|
|2007||My lucky star||放羊的星星|
Doze Niu directed music videos for Richie Ren Xian-QI’s “wu ni jiu wu wo” and Jasmine Leong’s “di san zhe”.
Award and Nomination
- Growing Up (小畢的故事) 1983 Golden Horse Film Festival best supporting actor nomination
- 1984 China Art Film Performance Award Medal
- [After the game](遊戲之後) 1987 Golden Bell Award best actor nomination
- [Awakening](甦醒) 1989 Golden Bell Award best actor nomination
- [Banana Paradise](香蕉天堂) 1989 Golden Horse Film Festival best actor nomination
- [Fei Tian](飛天) 1996 Golden Horse Film Festival best supporting actor nomination
- [Xiaoguang](曉光) 2000 Golden Bell Award best actor nomination
- [What on Earth have I done wrong?!] (情非得已之生存之道) 2007 Golden Horse Film Festival FIPRESCI Prize
- [Wayward Kenting] (我在墾丁*天氣晴) 2008 Golden Bell Award drama director award nomination
- FW 鈕承澤被一句話扭轉人生, retrieved July 19, 2010
- 這不是《艋舺》影評（鈕承澤專訪及我的四崁仔）, retrieved July 19, 2010
- 鈕承澤, retrieved July 22, 2010
- 豆導再度自導自演〈艋舺》一角 鈕：下次要避免, retrieved May 28, 2010
- ﹝導演專訪﹞【情非得已之生存之道】導演鈕承澤, retrieved July 19, 2010
- 'Monga' beats 'Avatar' on first-day gross, retrieved July 30, 2010
- "Taiwan film "Monga" to compete for Oscar". Channelnewsasia. Retrieved 2010-08-27.