Dr. Acula (band)
|Origin||Long Island, New York, US|
|Labels||Victory, Uprising, Shock Street, 187|
|Associated acts||My Bitter End, Kissing Candice, Vulture, For This We Kill, A Mandown, Midnight Desire, Idala, Sown in Tears, Eye Am Legion,|
Dr. Acula was an American deathcore band from Long Island, New York. Formed in 2004, the group has released five studio albums, and One Independent EP which is long since out of print. They were signed to Victory Records at the time of disbandment. The band is known for the use of soundclips from movies and TV shows as an accent to their songs. Their band name is derived from an alternative perspective from the name of Dracula. They broke up in October 2012.
Dr. Acula was founded in 2005. Their name derived originally as a quote from comedian Mitch Hedberg; "I went to see the doctor. All he did was suck blood from my neck. Don't go see Doctor Acula." In the beginning, the band did not take the music seriously by writing joke songs, but soon after they began to pioneer songs from their experiments and released an EP independently the following year. To this day, the band buckled down and wrote and released a more serious album, entitled "Nation".
The band released two demo albums; 2006's Chillogy and 2007's S.L.O.B. (Silver-Lipped Operator of Bullshit). They latter gained the attention of Uprising Records, and Dr. Acula was eventually signed to the label. The following year their debut-full length album, Below Me was released through Uprising, receiving mixed to negative critical reception by many. In the proceeding year, the band saw themselves touring and performing at many local and national festival with more popularized and larger groups. Following into December 2009, three members of the band departed, all leaving just one original member, Bill Graffeo, left.
After re-aligning their line-up again, Dr. Acula released their third studio album, The Social Event of the Century in 2010, also through Uprising Records. It was met with better reception than Below Me, although it was somewhat hobbled with critics noting that the record did not entirely venture to a progressed sound than that of their previous album.
After the release of The Social Event of the Century, Dr. Acula were taken in with a Victory Records contract. The band released their Victory Records debut, Slander on February 15, 2011. On June 20th of that year, keyboardist, Joey Simpson quit the band while on The Horror Nights Tour. On June 19, 2012 Dr. Acula released Nation.
- Final lineup
- Casey Carrano – vocals (2009–2013)
- Ricky Ostolaza – guitar (2010–2013)
- Jesse Ciappa – drums (2010–2013)
- Kevin Graffeo – bass (2009–2013)
- Former members
- Bill Graffeo – lead guitar (2005–2012)
- Craig Hecht – samples (2005–2006)
- Rob Accardi – vocals (2005–2007)
- Mikey Dada – drums (2005–2007)
- Bert Vegas – vocals, keyboard (2005–2008)
- Lou "Dawg" Figurito – guitar, bass (2005–2009)
- Billy Brady – drums (2007–2008)
- Rob "Acula" Guarino – guitar, bass (2005–2007, 2007–2009), keyboard (2008)
- Jon-Erik "Jerik" Pantorno – vocals (2007, 2008),
- Adam Stiletto- bass (2007), keyboard (2008)
- Eric Wallwork – drums (2008–2009)
- Tyler Guida – vocals (2008–2012)
- Drew Gipe – drums (2009–2010)
- Joey Simpson – keyboards, synthesizers, samples (2009–2011)
- Peter Stolarski - samples/keys (2006-2007) vocals(2007-2009)
- Full-length albums
- S.L.O.B. (Silver-Lipped Operator of Bullshit) (2007, 187 Records)
- Below Me (2008, Uprising)
- The Social Event of The Century (2009, Uprising)
- Slander (2011, Victory)
- Nation (2012, Victory)
- Chillogy (2006, self-released)
- Demo 2007 (2007, Self-released)
- Slobology (2009, Uprising)
- "Is This a Party, or a Dick Measuring Contest?" (2010)
- "Who You Gonna Call?" (2011)
- "Welcome to Camp Nightmare" (2011)
- "Party 2.0" (2012)
- "Ironic Enclosure" (2012)
- "Citizens Arrest" (2012)
- "Victory Metal - Dr. Acula". Victory Records. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- Below Me Amazon
- Below Me review AbsolutePunk
- Below Me review Teeth of the Divine
- Dr. Acula loses three members Lambgoat
- The Social Event of the Century The New Review
- DR. ACULA HAVE ESTABLISHED THEMSELVES AS SAD TIMES MetalSucks
- Victory Records signs Dr. Acula Alternative Press
- Victory Signs Dr. Acula
- "Dr. Acula keyboardist quits band". Lambgoat. Retrieved 13 January 2012.