|Single by Miami Sound Machine|
|from the album A Toda Maquina/Eyes of Innocence|
|Released||August 9, 1984|
|Format||CD single, cassette single, 7" single, Vinyl 12" maxi-single|
|Miami Sound Machine singles chronology|
"Dr. Beat" is the first international single released by the American band Miami Sound Machine, led by Gloria Estefan, on their first English language, but eighth overall, studio album Eyes of Innocence (1984). The single was released worldwide in 1984 becoming a top success across Europe where the album impacted the charts with this hit.
"Dr. Beat" was not quite as popular in the US as some of their later singles, only peaking at number 15 on the Hot Dance Club Play chart. However, it has become one of the group's biggest international hits, reaching the Top 10 in Spain and peaking at number 6 in the United Kingdom.
The song has maintained popularity through inclusion on a number of 1980s retrospective albums. It also became popular again in 2005 when dance artist Mylo mashed the song up with his hit "Drop The Pressure" to create "Doctor Pressure", which became a hit single in its own right.
Two videos were shot. At the beginning of the second music video which is more familiar to fans, Gloria Estefan is dancing on the roof of a tall building, in front of many people only to be driven to the hospital, performing a choreography on the way. In the hospital, some investigations and surgery are performed and in the end a boombox is removed from inside of Estefan.
Formats and track listings
These are the formats and track listings of major single releases of "Dr. Beat".
U.S. Vinyl 12" Maxi-Single (49 05023)
- "Dr. Beat" (Long Version)
- "Dr. Beat" (Instrumental Version)
Worldwide Vinyl 7" Single (34 04574)
- "Dr. Beat" (Album Version)
- "When Someone Comes Into Your Life" (Album Version)
"Dr. Beat" became a sensation in the charts across Europe becoming in the band's first song to enter the charts in a career for more than eight years, the song firstly entered the chart in the UK at the Top Ten, and then started to make debut at some another charts at other countries of Europe.
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||3|
|Germany (Media Control AG)||7|
|Irish Singles Chart||16|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||3|
|Netherlands (Mega Single Top 100)||6|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||15|
|South African Chart||11|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||5|
|UK (Official Charts Company)||6|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play||17|
- Album Version — 4:26
- Long Version — 6:26
- Instrumental Version — 5:26
- Hustlers Up-Town Full Length Disco Remix — 6:51
- Dr. Beat (Single - 1984)
- Music video in MyVideo.de
- "Ultratop.be – Miami Sound Machine – Dr. Beat" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Lescharts.com – Miami Sound Machine – Dr. Beat" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Miami Sound Machine - Dr. Beat". Charts.de. Media Control.
- "Dr. Beat in Irish Chart". IRMA. Retrieved 10 July 2013. Only one result when searching "Dr Beat"
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Miami Sound Machine search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Miami Sound Machine – Dr. Beat" (in Dutch). Mega Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Miami Sound Machine – Dr. Beat". Top 40 Singles.
- John Samson. "Dr. Beat in South African Chart". Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- "Miami Sound Machine – Dr. Beat – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "1984 Top 40 Official UK Singles Archive - 22nd September 1984". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Gloria Estefan awards on Allmusic". Allmusic. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- http://www.myspace.com/gloriaestefanmusic gloriestefanmyspace
- http://www.gloriaestefanmexico.com gloriestefanmexico.com
- http://www.90millas.com 90millas.com
- http://web.archive.org/web/20091027084359/http://www.geocities.com/weslarkins/glorialibre.html gloriaestefandiscographydatabase