Mark Hyman (doctor)
|Born||November 22, 1959|
Mark Hyman is an American physician, scholar and New York Times best-selling author. He is the founder and medical director of the UltraWellness Center and a columnist for The Huffington Post. Hyman is a regular contributor to the Katie Couric Show.
Hyman is a proponent of functional medicine and is the chairman of the Institute for Functional Medicine. He was the editor-in-chief and is a contributing editor to Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, a peer-reviewed medical journal focused on functional medicine.
Hyman graduated from Cornell University with a bachelor’s in Asian Studies. He received his doctor of medicine from the University of Ottawa and completed his postgraduate training at the University of California, San Francisco's program in family medicine at the Community Hospital of Santa Rosa.
Hyman started his medical career as a family doctor in rural Idaho and later as an emergency room doctor in Massachusetts. He was the co-medical director at Canyon Ranch in Lenox, Massachusetts from 1996-2004. He opened the UltraWellness medical center in Lenox after leaving Canyon Ranch.
In 2009, Hyman testified before the United States Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions on integrative medical care. Hyman also participated in a Partners in Health program to bring medical care to Haiti following the 2010 Haiti Earthquake.
In a 2011 article, Hyman asserted a correlation between MMR vaccination and the occurrence of autism and bowel disease.
In December 2013, The Daniel Plan, a book Hyman co-authored with Pastor Rick Warren and Daniel Amen, became number 1 on the New York Times bestseller list. Hyman is the author of several books on nutrition and health, such as 10 Day Detox Diet. Hyman was named the Director of the Cleveland Clinical Center for Functional Medicine in September 2014.
- The Blood Sugar Solution: 10-Day Detox Diet, (2014-02-25) (ISBN 9781619696051)
- The Daniel Plan: 40 Days to a Healthier Life (ISBN 9780310344292)
- The Blood Sugar Solution: The UltraHealthy Program for Losing Weight, Preventing Disease, and Feeling Great Now! (ISBN 9780316127370)
- The UltraMind Solution: The Simple Way to Defeat Depression, Overcome Anxiety, and Sharpen Your Mind (ISBN 9781416549710)
- The UltraSimple Diet: Kick-Start Your Metabolism and Safely Lose Up to 10 Pounds in 7 Days (ISBN 9781439171318)
- Ultrametabolism: The Simple Plan for Automatic Weight Loss (ISBN 9780743272568)
- The UltraMetabolism Cookbook: 200 Delicious Recipes that Will Turn on Your Fat-Burning DNA (ISBN 9781416549598)
- Ultraprevention: The 6-Week Program That Will Make You Healthy for Life (ISBN 9780743448833)
- "Haiti Relief Aid Unfurls". CBS. 17 January 2010. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "HARDCOVER ADVICE & MISC.". New York Times. 8 April 2012. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "HARDCOVER ADVICE & MISC". New York Times. 29 March 2009. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Mark Hyman (26 February 2009). "Testimony of Mark Hyman, M.D.". Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "Mark Hyman". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "Dr. Mark Hyman". KAC Productions. Retrieved 17 September 2013.[dead link]
- "Board of Directors". Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "Physician-author Mark Hyman". PBS. 27 March 2012. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "Editorial Board". Alternative Therapies. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "MARK HYMAN, MD PRACTICING MEDICINE FOR THE FUTURE". Alternative Therapies in Health & Medicine 10 (4): 82–89. July 2004.
- "Turning Point: Q&A with Mark Hyman, MD". Kripalu. 7 April 2012. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "Excerpt:The UltraMind Solution'". ABC. 14 January 2008. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Len Sherman (ed.). "The Canyon Ranch Guide to Living Younger Longer". Canyon Ranch.
- Derek Gentile (26 January 2010). "Local couple provides medical relief for grieving Haitians". The Berkshire Eagle (Pittsfield, Massachusetts).
- "Full Committee Hearing - Integrative Care: A Pathway to a Healthier Nation". US Senate Committee. 26 February 2009. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Jenn Smith (11 January 2011). "Berkshire volunteers reflect on Haiti's road ahead". The Berkshire Eagle (Pittsfield, Massachusetts).
- "Nonrecommended Books". Quackwatch. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- Hyman, Mark. "How to Rid Your Body of Mercury and Other Heavy Metals: A 3-Step Plan to Recover Your Health". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- Anugrah Kumar. "Rick Warren's Bestseller 'Daniel Plan' Seeks to Change Lives, Not Just Food Habits". Christian Post. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- "Rick Warren, co-authors discuss their diet program, "The Daniel Plan"". CBS News. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Pesce, Nicole Lyn (Feb 11, 2014). "'10 Day Detox Diet' author Mark Hyman tells how to end sugar addiction and clean up your diet". New York Daily News.
- Townsend, Angela (22 September 2014). "Cleveland Clinic to open Center for Functional Medicine; Dr. Mark Hyman to be director". Cleveland.com. Retrieved 29 November 2014.
- Amy Chozick (April 11, 2014). "He Tells the Clintons How to Lose a Little". The New York Times. Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "KQED Life: Ultrametabolism: The Simple Plan for Automatic Weight Loss with Mark Hyman, M.D.". KQED.org. PBS. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- Gorski, David (14 April 2014). "Bill and Hillary Clinton go woo with Dr. Mark Hyman and 'functional medicine'". Science-Based Medicine.