Dr. Michael M. Krop High School
|Dr. Michael M. Krop Senior High School|
|1410 County Line Road
Miami, Florida, 33179
|School district||Miami-Dade County Public Schools|
|Principal||Dawn M. Baglos|
|Campus size||315,000 square feet (29,300 m2) 39.44 acres (159,600 m2)|
|Color(s)||Black, Silver, & Purple|
|Newspaper||The Lightning Strike|
Coordinates: Dr. Michael M. Krop Senior High School is a secondary school located at 1411 County Line Road in the Ives Estates, an unincorporated area of north Miami-Dade County (Miami address), Florida, USA. However, it serves the city of Aventura, northern fringes of North Miami Beach, and the unincorporated areas around the school such as Ives Estates and Ojus; its principal is Dawn Baglos. The school is located on the Miami-Dade side of the Miami-Dade-Broward County line and it is the northernmost high school in the district.
Krop is considered to be a magnet school because it has a "Students Training in the Arts Repertory (STAR)" program. This magnet program is a visual and performing arts program that is open to students in the greater Miami area. Due to the recession of 2008 and ongoing financial issues, the STAR program has had severe cuts in its funding.
The school gained national attention after one of its students, Trayvon Martin, was killed in a controversial shooting.
The school's athletic rival is Alonzo and Tracy Mourning Senior High Biscayne Bay Campus.
Built on a former landfill, construction for Dr. Michael M. Krop High School began in 1996 after the Miami-Dade School Board approved plans to build a new high school in North Miami-Dade County to lessen overcrowding in local elementary and secondary schools, including North Miami Beach High School. Opening its doors in 1998, Krop began with 9th and 10th grades and eventually added 11th and 12th grades; its first graduating class was the class of 2001. At the time of its opening, Krop had a total enrollment of 1,475 students.
In early 1998, before its opening, the naming of the school triggered some controversy, as letters from members of the community indicated a preference for a more generic name. Michael Krop High School is named after Dr. Michael M. Krop, an orthodontist born in 1930 who was first elected to the Miami-Dade School Board in 1980. Krop retired from the board in 2004, after 24 years of service. Former board members Janet McAliley and Betsy Kaplan accused Michael Krop of lobbying to have the school named for him on separate occasions, a charge which Krop denied. On February 17, 1998: The city council of Aventura, Florida issued a resolution urging the Miami-Dade County school board to name the new high school in northeast Miami-Dade County "Dr. Michael M. Krop High School."
When Alonzo and Tracy Mourning Senior High Biscayne Bay Campus opened in 2009, it relieved Krop High. Golden Beach, Sunny Isles Beach, and portions of North Miami Beach were rezoned to Mourning from Krop.
- Years of construction: 1996-1998
- Number of portables:
- Number of classrooms:
- Student stations:
- Building footage:
- Portable square footage:
The S.T.A.R Academy is a performing and visual arts program. The strands are in dance, drama, vocal and instrumental music, visual arts, and television production. Students are accepted into the program through an audition process. Two classes out of the student's class schedule are dedicated to their arts.
The Lightning Strike newspaper
As of the 2005-2006 school year, the paper was converted to color on the front, middle and back and 20 pages each issue.
The newspaper is a member of the High School National Ad Network, Florida Scholastic Press Association, National Scholastic Press Association, Columbia Scholastic Press Association, and Quill and Scroll Honor Society.
Equal Access Groups
Inter-Club Council Student Government Association (SGA)
Dr. Michael M. Krop Senior High School has a gymnasium which is used for basketball, volleyball and badminton. The football and baseball fields are located on campus, although the varsity football team plays at FIU Campus. The athletic director is Coach Kypriss. MKHS offers these athletics:
- Tennis (girls) - 2007, 2008, 2010
- Tennis (boys) - 2004, 2006, 2007
- Trayvon Martin - attended Miami Carol City High School for 9th grade and much of the 10th grade, transferred to Krop High School
- Garrett Wittels - professional baseball player
- In the 2002-2003 school year Albert II, Prince of Monaco visited Krop to speak to student athletes, WLTN Lightning news (closed circuit Krop news station), and the press.
- Krop is also known to take a large share of Silver Knight awards in Miami-Dade.
- In 2012, Trayvon Martin, a junior at Krop, was killed in an encounter that gained widespread national attention.
- In November 2014, Verne Troyer (Mini-me from Austin Powers movie series) and Gabriela Isler (Miss Universe 2013) visited Krop to participate in a Thanksgiving luncheon with members of the school's Best Buddies chapter.
- "SS_QQQ1_1-24-09.pdf." Alonzo and Tracy Mourning Senior High Biscayne Bay Campus. Retrieved on May 6, 2012.
- Home page. Dr. Michael M. Krop High School. Retrieved on October 10, 2015. "1410 NE 215 Street Miami, FL 33179"
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Ives Estates CDP, FL." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on October 10, 2015.
- Burch, Audra D.S. and Carol Isensee. "Trayvon Martin: a typical teen who loved video games, looked forward to prom." Miami Herald. Thursday March 22, 2012. p. 2. Retrieved on April 26, 2013.
- FHSAA.org: Florida High School Athletic Association
- Burch, Audra D.S. and Carol Isensee. "Trayvon Martin: a typical teen who loved video games, looked forward to prom." Miami Herald. Thursday March 22, 2012. p. 1. Retrieved on April 26, 2013.
- Odzer, Ari. "Krop Senior High Students Honor Fallen Classmate Trayvon Martin With "Chain of Life"." NBC Miami. Tuesday March 27, 2012. Retrieved on December 9, 2012.
- Dr. Michael M. Krop Senior High School (2010–2011) Agenda
- Miami-Dade County Public Schools
- Dr. Michael M. Krop High School Official website
- The Lightning Strike, Official Student newspaper
- Dr. Michael Krop Senior High School 2004-2005 Spanish Honor Society
- Dadeschools.net Information about Krop High School
- CBS TV: Two Drama Students Transformed Into The Chongalicious Girls
- 'Chongalicious' video