Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh Krishi Vidyapeeth
Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh Krishi Vidyapeeth (PDKV or PKV) is an agricultural university located at Akola, in Maharashtra, India, in the Vidarbha region. The University is entrusted with the responsibility of agricultural education, research and extension education along with breeder and foundation seed programmes. Its jurisdiction includes all eleven districts of Vidarbha namely Akola, Amravati, Bhandara, Buldhana, Chandrapur, Gadchiroli, Gondia, Nagpur, Washim and Yavatmal.
The Central Campus is at Akola while the another major campus is at Nagpur. A new campus has been established at Garchiroli. The details about university can be found at University Website www.pdkv.ac.in
The University has over a total 3425 hectares of cultivable land under its possession for conducting various research, field trials in addition to seed multiplication programme. This university covers the need of a wide range of climatic zones varying from Wet Humid Rice zone of East gradually ending with Arid Cotton and Millet Zone of west. Similarly its Northern districts form southern limit for wheat cultivation in India. In the past this university has made significant contribution to research work especially in cotton (PKV-2 cotton hybrid), sorghum (kharif hybrids), pulses (TAU- series of Black gram), oilseed (TAG-24 Groundnut variety; few linseed varieties), watershed management, dryland management, Mandarin orange cultivation.
- 20 Research stations
- 24 All India Co-ordinated Projects
- 16 ad-hoc schemes are under operation
- 28 Non Plan and 2 Plan Research Projects
- Biotechnology Centre
- Nagarjuna Medicinal and Aromatic Plant park
- Biodiversity Park
- Maharajbagh Zoo *(1)
Agricultural Research Stations
- Central Research Station: Akola
- Central Trial Campus, Vani Rambhapur, Akola
- National Agril Res. Project, Yavatmal
- National Agril Res. Project, Sindewahi, District Chandrapur; Paddy Research Station
- Kharif Cereal and Pulse Research and Training Project: Mhali, Amgaon Dist- Gondia
- Regional Research Centre, Amravati
- Agri. Research Station, Sonapur Dist. Gadchircoli
- Agri. Research Station, Washim
- Agri. Research Station, Achalpur Dist- Amravati
- Agri. Research Station, Buldana
- Agri. College Campus, Nagpur
- Regional Fruit Research Station Katol Dist Nagpur
- Agri. Research Station, Tharsa Dist. Nagpur
- Agri. Research Station, Sakoli
- Agril Ressearch Station, NavegaonBan Dist- Bhandara
- Agril Ressearch Station, Patur Road, Akola
- Betelwine Research Station, Ramtek
- Agril Ressearch Station, Kutki, tal-hinganghat, Dist-Wardha
- Agril Ressearch Station, Ekarjuna Dist. Chandrapur
- Betelwine Research Station: Akot Dist. Akola:
PDKV grants Bachelors, Masters and Doctoral degrees in Agricultural Sciences and Agricultural Engineering & Technology. Admission to all the degree, Post Graduate and Doctorate degree programmes are made through MCAER, Pune. New College of Agriculture has been opened at Gadchiroli, a tribal district. There are also five agriculture schools for lower education located at Buldana, Hiwara, Mul-Maroda, Nimbi, Sawangi and Warud. recently under the grant of Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh Krushi Vidhyapeeth running new college Vasantrao Naik College of Agriculture and Biotechnology, at Yavatmal.
- Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh Agriculture University has several departments with its intent to provide the best current knowledge needed by farmers. The university is always trying to provide highly reputed education, research and extension with the departments.
- Plant Pathology
- About Departments
- The Department has been established in April, 1970, with the main objective of teaching, research and extension in the subject of plant pathology and carrying out need-based research for of the region.
- Department Accademics
- Student Intake per year
- Student Intake per year
- Department Accademics
- Agriculture Entomology
- Agriculture Botany (Genetics and plant Breeding, Crops Physiology, Seeds Technology, Agriculture Biotechnology)
- Soil Science
- Agriculture Economics and statistic
- Extension Education
- Animal husbandry and Dairy science
Imparting of extension education is one of the mandatory functions of the University. The university has 11 Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVK), which undertake training and demonstrations for the benefit of farmers. It also has a Training and Visit Scheme (T&V) at Nagpur, Sindewahi and Yavatmal.
The Directorate of Extension Education of the University has been recognized by the Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India, as the Center of Excellence for imparting training on Dryland Agriculture Technology.
Institution Village Linkage Program (IVLP): The pilot project on technology assessment and refinement through IVLP sponsored by ICAR,New Delhi is being implemented by the University in the village Gorwha, Taluka Barshitakli, District Akola, since 1995.
Maharashtra State government decided to establish Maharashtra State Agril. University at Rahuri in Western Maharashtra by end of 1966. This provoked an angry response from citizens of Vidarbha, who viewed it as a form of ignorance. On 17 August 1967 in Akola, thousands of people demonstrated against this government's decision finally resulting in of the massive violent agitation of the Students with many losses of many lives *. Finally this university was started on 20 October 1969 named after the illustrious son of Vidarbha Dr. Panjabrao (alias Bhausaheb) Deshmukh, who was the Minister for Agriculture, Government of India, as Panjabrao Krishi Vidyapeeth. It was renamed as Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh Krishi Vidyapeeth from 15 November 1995.
College of Agriculture, Nagpur located in heartland of the city is one of the 5 oldest Agriculture colleges that started in 1905.
RG Dani (a distinguished Plant breeder and Geneticist) joined as a Vice Chancellor (VC) of this University on Aug 2012 for a term of five years.
Former Vice Chancellors in chronological order are as given below:
Previous Vice Chancellors
- Late L.N. Bongirwar (1-7-1969 to 9-10-1972) was the first Vice Chancellor.
- Late N. Gopalkrishna (10-10-1972 to 1-6-1978) specialization in Horticulture; Previously Horticulturist to the Government of Bombay
- D.N. Kapoor (2-6-1978 to 2-7-1978)additional charge
- Late B.A. Chougule (3-7-1978 to 15-4-1981); specialization in the field of Agricultural Chemistry
- S.P. Upasani (16-4-1981 to 10-6-1981) additional charge
- V.S. Gopalkrishna (11-6-1981 to 13-8-1981)additional charge
- S. Rama Krishna (14-8-1981 to 12-2-1982)additional charge
- K.R. Thakare (13-2-1981 to 15-12-1985); specialization in Entomology
- Dr. V.T. Rahate (16-12-1985 to 15-6-1986) additional charge
- Late H.B. Ulemale (16-6–1986 to 30-4-1990) (DOB: 26-1-1944); Specialization in Agricultural Economics
- Late P.W. Amin (1-5-1990 to 30-4–1993); (expired 2006); specialization in Entomology
- B.G. Bhatkal (1-5-1993 to 30-4–1996); specialization in the field of Agronomy
- G.M. Bharad (1-5-1996 to 16-5–1999); DOB 21-1-1941; specialization in the field of Watershed Management
- M.L. Madan (17-5-1999 to 16-5–2002) ;(DOB 1-1-1939); specialization in the field of Animal Husbandry
- S.A. Nimbalkar (17-5-2002 to 3-7–2007); specialization in the field of Entomology
- V.M. Mayande (4-7-2007 to 3-7-2012); specialization in the field of Agril. Engineering
- R.G. Dani (14-08-2012 to present); specialization in the field of Genetics
For last few years there have been controversies regarding selection of staff. These were investigated and found correct as per recommendations of Justice Dhabe commission and the Ganesh Thakur committee. As per their recommendations few staff were removed or placed back to their original positions.