Dr Plonk is a 2007 Australian film directed by Adelaide-based Australian director Rolf de Heer. It premiered in Australia in March 2007 at the Adelaide Film Festival. It is a silent film and at the premiere had live accompaniment by the Stiletto Sisters. The film was also screened at the launch of Australia's National Film and Sound Archive's new cinema, Arc, in August 2007. Its public cinema release is 30 August 2007.
The film, set primarily in 1907, has been described as "a time-travelling satire". The Adelaide Film Festival program described it as "a black and white, silent comedy shot with a hand-cranked camera and brimming with romance, action and especially, slapstick comedy". Its score was composed by Graham Tardif. It is also notable for a cameo appearance by the South Australian Premier, Mike Rann, playing the 2007 Prime Minister.
The story focuses on Dr Plonk, a scientist and inventor who, in 1907, determines that the world will end in 101 years. However, he is ridiculed for his beliefs and so invents a time machine in order to collect evidence from the future to prove his case. But each visit he makes to 2007 only causes him more problems, and he eventually becomes a wanted man...
- Nigel Lunghi, as Dr Plonk
- Magda Szubanski, as Mrs Plonk
- Paul Blackwell, as Dr Plonk's assistant, Paulus
- Reg, the dog, as Tiberius the dog
De Heer was inspired to make the film after discovering old raw film stock, which prompted him to make a silent movie.
Dr Plonk was distributed in Australia by Palace Films.
Dr Plonk grossed $83,450 at the box office in Australia.
- National Film and Sound Archive
- Adelaide Film Festival (2007)
- Andrew L Urban, "DE HEER, ROLF – DR PLONK", Urban Cinefile accessed 11 November 2012
- Film Victoria - Australian Films at the Australian Box Office
- Dr. Plonk at the Internet Movie Database
- Official Palace Films Website
- Adelaide Film Festival (2007) Dr Plonk
|This article related to an Australian film of the 2000s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This film article about a 2000s comedy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|