Dracula (TV series)
|Created by||Cole Haddon|
by Bram Stoker
|Country of origin|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||6 (List of episodes)|
|Running time||43 minutes|
|Original run||October 25, 2013– present|
Dracula is a British-American horror drama television series that premiered on NBC on 25 October 2013. It is produced by London-based Carnival Films. The series was created by Cole Haddon, and is a reimagining of the classic Dracula novel by Bram Stoker. Daniel Knauf, creator of the HBO series Carnivàle, serves as showrunner/head writer, working with Haddon.
The series introduces Dracula as he arrives in London, posing as an American entrepreneur who maintains that he wants to bring modern science to Victorian society. In reality, he hopes to wreak revenge on the people who ruined his life centuries earlier. There's only one circumstance that can potentially thwart his plan: Dracula falls hopelessly in love with a woman who seems to be a reincarnation of his dead wife.
- Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Dracula / Alexander Grayson / Vlad Tepes
- Jessica De Gouw as Mina Murray / Ilona, a medical student and the reincarnation of Dracula's long-dead wife.
- Thomas Kretschmann as Abraham Van Helsing, Mina's lecturer at university. Kretschmann previously played Dracula in the 2012 Italian horror film, Dracula 3D.
- Victoria Smurfit as Lady Jayne Wetherby, a fashionable woman who is immediately enticed by the King of Vampires.
- Oliver Jackson-Cohen as Jonathan Harker, a gauche journalist who's desperate to climb the ranks of aristocracy.
- Nonso Anozie as R.M. Renfield, Dracula's loyal confidant and keeper of secrets.
- Katie McGrath as Lucy Westenra a rich society girl who harbors secret romantic feelings for Mina, her best friend.
- Matt Barber as Campbell
- Michael Nardone as Hermann Kruger
- Ben Miles as Browning
- Robert Bathurst as Lord Davenport
- Tamer Hassan as Kaha Ruma aka "The Moroccan", a world renowned and feared vampire hunter, think Van Helsing meets Sherlock Holmes".
Steve Shill (Dexter, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, The Tudors) directed the pilot. Other directors will include Andy Goddard (Law & Order: UK, Downton Abbey, Torchwood), Brian Kelly (Inspector Lewis, Downton Abbey), Nick Murphy (Occupation, Primeval) and Tim Fywell (Inspector Lewis, Waking the Dead, Masters of Sex).
Prior to the series premiere, NBC released an animated web companion entitled Dracula Rising, which serves as a prequel that depicts the origin story of the titular character.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|1||"The Blood Is the Life"||Steve Shill||Cole Haddon||October 25, 2013||5.26|
|Enter the arrival of Alexander Grayson to England with his lavish party. He spots Mina, a woman who strongly resembles his dead wife Ilona, from across the room with her friends Jonathan Harker and Lucy Westenra. He also meets Lady Jayne Wetherby as well as his victims, members of the Order of the Dragon.|
|2||"A Whiff of Sulfur"||Steve Shill||Daniel Knauf||November 1, 2013||3.39|
|Grayson and Lady Jayne become lovers, despite his suspicions about her being involved with the Order of the Dragon. Mina asks for Grayson's help with a challenge at medical school which leads to a much desired success; Van Helsing continues his work on a solar vaccine for Dracula as Harker enters a bargain with the devil.|
|3||"Goblin Merchant Men"||Andy Goddard||Harley Peyton||November 8, 2013||2.96|
|With Harker's help, Grayson begins to dismantle the Order of the Dragon from within by attacking its members one by one. He unmasks and threatens to exploit Lord Laurent's secret to his own advantage. This ultimately leads the Order to take drastic measures to reprimand members who break their rules. As a result of a chain of events resulting from Grayson's blackmail of Lord Laurent, he, in turn, earns a powerful enemy within the Order of the dragon - Lord Davenport. Renfield proves to be a sophisticated and skillful tactician in business matters on behalf of his employer. Grayson investigates Lady Jayne and finds brutal proof regarding her secret life within the Order - now he realizes he must change his tactics with her. Lucy tries to help Mina who is depressed over the current sad state of her relationship with Jonathan. Mina confides in Grayson about her troubles and Grayson offers Jonathan advice to help fix the situation. Jonathan and Mina reconcile and become engaged to be married - all according to Grayson's plan to continue to keep Mina close, but not too close.|
|4||"From Darkness to Light"||Andy Goddard||Tom Grieves||November 15, 2013||2.99|
|Grayson sets out to win Lady Jayne's heart and utmost trust in order to keep her and the Order of the Dragon from suspecting him to be the ancient vampire they're looking for. To this end, he sacrifices an old but loyal acquaintance who, according to the sage advice of Renfield, demonstrates too much brutish, uncontrolled behavior - thus, proving himself to be too much of a "wild card" to include in Grayson's strategically subtle plans for the Order (and possibly himself, with Mina). Harker looks into General Shaw, at Grayson's request, while Lord Davenport seeks out the help of an "expert" to destroy Grayson for indirectly causing the death of his son. Lord Davenport, without the sanction of the Order, aids in the kidnapping (and soon-to-be torture) of Renfield, Grayson's close associate, confidant & up-and-coming right hand man. Meanwhile, Lucy hides her broken heart over Mina by throwing herself into the planning for Mina and Harker's lavish engagement party - hosted entirely by Grayson.|
|5||"The Devil's Waltz"||Nick Murphy||Nicole Taylor||November 29, 2013||2.84|
|Mina dreams of Grayson in her bedroom telling her that Harker was not the right man for her. As they start to get intimate, Lucy walks into her room and Mina awakens abruptly from her dream. Van Helsing was able to make an initially successful attempt of the solar serum which was tried on a woman vampire after he and Grayson shocked her heart back to beating again - although she burst into flames after a few minutes' exposure to sunlight. Grayson reminisces about first meeting Renfield in America, while worriedly awaiting word from Harker who makes inquiry about Renfield's disappearance. Using the 'scent' of Renfield's pocket book which Harker found outside the building where Renfield was seen beaten and abducted into a carriage, Grayson was able to find and rescue him once night falls. Renfield admirably withstands grotesque torture techniques without uttering a single word of betrayal and then suddenly Grayson arrives to quickly and mercilessly exact bloody revenge against Renfield's torturers. During Mina and Harker's engagement party, Grayson was introduced to some of the elite gents of the Order of the Dragon and after shaking hands with them, he sniffs his hand in order to discover the man responsible for Renfield's kidnapping. Mina introduces Grayson to her mentor, Dr. Van Helsing, and the two men act as though they never met. Lucy observes Lady Jane searching for someone and correctly concludes she's looking for Grayson and that they are lovers. Later on, Lady Jayne catches Lucy looking at Mina lovingly and deduces she is in love with her. As a thank you to Grayson for the engagement party, Harker gifts him the first dance with Mina. Both Grayson and Mina are visibly shaken by this. While dancing, Mina and Grayson inadvertently have a long 'moment' as they seem to only have eyes for each other -- Lady Jayne, Harker and Lucy each then become aware that there is an intense attraction between them and Harker promptly interrupts their dance. Browning discusses with Lady Jayne the possibility of Grayson being the old one they are seeking as his entrance into London society coincides with Dracula's appearance. Lady Jayne dismisses this and Browning informs her that she is not the first woman to be blinded by lust but she will be the first vampire hunter to do so. Grayson gently tends to Renfield's head wounds and we continue to learn how the two became fiercely loyal to one another.|
|6||"Of Monsters and Men"||Nick Murphy||Katie Lovejoy||December 6, 2013||3.83|
|Browning decides to host a board meeting in the sunlight in an effort to expose Grayson. Grayson and Van Helsing acquire a vital component for the wireless electricity technology and his sunlight drug. Lucy expresses her true feelings towards Mina and professes her love. Mina and Harker have sex.|
|7||"Servant to Two Masters"||TBA||TBA||January 3, 2014||TBA|
|8||"Come to Die"||TBA||TBA||January 10, 2014||TBA|
|9||"Four Roses"||TBA||TBA||January 17, 2014||TBA|
- Busis, Hillary (May 12, 2013). "NBC fall schedule reveals big moves". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- Byrne, Craig (July 24, 2012). "NBC Orders 10-Episode Dracula Series With Jonathan Rhys Meyers". KSiteTV. Retrieved December 7, 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 8, 2012). "'Carnivale' Creator to Run NBC's 'Dracula'". Deadline. Retrieved January 25, 2013.
- Dowell, Ben. "Radio Times". Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- Keene, Allison (July 25, 2012). "Jonathan Rhys Meyers To Star in NBC DRACULA Series". Collider. Retrieved December 7, 2012.
- NBC. "About Dracula". NBC. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- Romano, Paul (January 18, 2013). "ARROW Actress Jessica De Gouw Lands Female Lead In NBC's DRACULA Series". Comic Book Movie. Retrieved January 19, 2013.
- Roots, Kimberly (February 11, 2013). "Scoop: NBC's Dracula Casts King Kong Actor as Its Van Helsing – With a Twist". TVLine. Retrieved February 12, 2013.
- Hall, Eva (February 4, 2013). "Victoria Smurfit To Sink Teeth Into Jonathan Rhys Meyers’ ‘Dracula’". IFTN. Retrieved February 4, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (February 11, 2013). "Thomas Kretschmann & Oliver Jackson-Cohen Join NBC’s ‘Dracula’ Series". Deadline. Retrieved February 12, 2013.
- Challis, Carla (February 12, 2013). "Say Hello To Dracula's Hot New Signings". Sky Living HD. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- Goldberg, Lesley (January 30, 2013). "NBC's 'Dracula' Series Casts 'Game of Thrones,' 'Merlin' Actors". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 31, 2013.
- Webb, Claire. "Katie McGrath: In the book Lucy is very sweet, mine has much more sass". RadioTimes. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Michael Nardone credits
- Fletcher, Alex (November 11, 2013). "'Dracula' on NBC, Sky Living: Tamer Hassan joins cast". Digital Spy. Retrieved November 18, 2013.
- Ford Sullivan, Brian (January 6, 2013). "NBC at TCA: Greenblatt Outlines Latest Plans for Midseason, Summer and Fall". The Futon Critic. Retrieved January 6, 2013.
- "Central Europe Jumps Onto Incentives Bandwagon". Korda Studios. June 2, 2013. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- "PAUL ENDACOTT — FILM EDITOR RTS NOMINATION BEST FILM & TAPE EDITING". Amanda McAllister Personal Management. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- "Annie Symons — Costume Designer". United Agents. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- "Q&A with Tom Grieves". Quercus. March 22, 2013. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- "Rebecca Kirsch, B.A. Screenwriting '05". Chapman University. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- Gutelle, Sam (October 7, 2013). "NBC's 'Dracula' Gets Animated In Web Companion Prequel". TubeFilter. Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (October 28, 2013). "Friday Final TV Ratings: No Adjustments to 'Grimm,' Dracula' or 'The Carrie Diaries'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 28, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (November 4, 2013). "Friday Final Ratings: 'Shark Tank' Adjusted Up, 'Blue Bloods' Adjusted Down + No Adjustment for 'Grimm' or 'Dracula'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 4, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (November 11, 2013). "Friday Final Ratings: 'Dracula' & 'The Neighbors' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 11, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (November 18, 2013). "Friday Final Ratings: 'Hawaii Five-0', 'Undercover Boss', 'Grimm' & 'Raising Hope' Adjusted Up; 'Last Man Standing', 'The Carrie Diaries' & 'The Neighbors' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 18, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (December 4, 2013). "Friday Final Ratings: No Adjustment for 'Nikita', 'Grimm' or 'Dracula'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (December 9, 2013). "Friday Final Ratings: 'Bones' & 'Raising Hope' Adjusted Up; 'The Neighbors' & 'The Carrie Diaries' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 9, 2013.
- "Dracula : Servant to Two Masters". Zap2It. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Dracula : Come to Die". Zap2It. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- "Dracula : Four Roses". Zap2It. Retrieved December 3, 2013.