|Submission declined on 29 August 2014 by talk).
You are encouraged to make improvements by clicking on the "Edit" tab at the top of this page. If you require extra help, you may ask a question at the , that declined your submission, or get help at our live help chat with experienced editors. .Declined by 31 days ago. Last edited by Jaypaulth 31 days ago. Reviewer: Inform author.
|Submission declined on 4 July 2014 by talk). Declined by ( 2 months ago. Last edited by Jaypaulth 31 days ago. Reviewer: Inform author.|
Comment: Right now, the article looks more like a resume and less like an encyclopedia entry. We don't make lists of accomplishments or activities; we write about them. Try mimicking an already-established biography for an idea of how to write this one. Also take a look at Wikipedia:Biographies of living persons; note that for biographies, "all quotations and any material challenged or likely to be challenged must be attributed to a reliable, published source using an inline citation". Thanks. ~SuperHamster Talk Contribs 08:25, 4 July 2014 (UTC)
TREVOR GORING: (Born 1949. London, England) is a visual artist, author, publisher, lecturer and consultant with a long history of exploring connections between artistic practice and social activism in Europe and North America. He maintains studios in Montreal, Canada and Cork City, Ireland and works extensively throughout the United States.
Biography: Early life and career. Trained in Montreal at the École des Beaux Arts, Université du Québec (1968-1972) in print-making with Pierre Ayot, and painting with Jacques Hurtubise and Fernand Leduc he completed scholarship post graduate studies at Saint Martin’s College of Art, London, (1972-74) painting with Keith Grant and Frederick Gore, and sculpture with Anthony Caro. Returning to Canada he taught painting at the Montreal Museum School of Fine Arts and St Georges School, Westmount whilst exhibiting at Museums and galleries across Canada including the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and the Musée d'art Contemporain de Montréal. He was a participating artist in the 1976 Montreal Olympics art and architecture exhibition “Corridart”, curated by architect Melvin Charney.
Repeatedly elected chairman of Vehicule Art (1975-1982), one of Canada’s first artist-run, multi-disciplinary art centres, he oversaw the exhibition and promotion of early experimental work by international contemporary artists such as Philip Glass, Bill Viola, Michael Ondaatje, General Idea, Genesis P-Orridge, Sally Potter, Pierre Falardeau, Reindeer Werk, Claude Vivier, Marie Chouinard and Margie Gillis. Co-founder of The Association of National Non-Profit Artists' Centres (ANNPAC) and its magazine Parallelogramme he was active in lobbying for the rights of artists across Canada.
Harnessing the power of publishing to further his interest in arts activism he co-founded, published and art directed Virus International, a contemporary arts magazine and Virus Montréal (1978-1984) the radical French language arts and entertainments magazine which gave voice to writers such as Jacques Lanctot, Rober Racine, Patrick Schupp and Richard Martineau. Virus Montreal, in bold innovative graphics, pioneered the promotion of the established and experimental arts, independent cinema, new music, gay rights, animal rights, vegetarianism, holistic medicine and community activism.
Later Professional Activities Further seeking a connection between the arts and social justice Trevor Goring founded Images of Justice (1991), researching the visual history and symbolism of law from earliest times. Working closely with plaintiff litigators and criminal defence lawyers he has produced over 200 original paintings, hundreds of limited edition prints, two legal art history books, (Women In Law, preface by Margaret Sumerville and Judges In Time, preface by Hon. Colin D. McKinnon), and numerous magazine articles, video productions and public lectures, actively supporting and promoting the democratic values inherent in the civil and criminal justice system.
Painted portrait subjects include: Canadian Supreme Court Justice John Sopinka; Westmount Mayor, Karin Marks; National University of Ireland President Gerry Wrixon; and renowned litigators David Boies, Chris Searcy, Bobby Lee Cook, Richard “Racehorse” Haynes and Melvin Belli;.
Trevor Goring’s work with the North American and European trial lawyer community also includes frequent lectures on creative confidence and visual advocacy to organizations such as The American Association for Justice, The National College of Advocacy, The American Inns of Court, The American Board of Trial Advocates, law schools and associations. He acts as a visual communications consultant on complex litigation cases, creating visual presentations for opening statements and closing arguments. He has served three consecutive terms on the Eastern Canada selection committee for Rhodes Scholarships.
Art Exhibition References
- Melvin Charney. Corridart dans la rue Sherbrooke July 1976 http://www.marthaailishmoore.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Corridart-Wallboard1.pdf Corridart Concordia University http://archives.concordia.ca/P119
- Art and Architecture In Canada: A Bibliography and Guide to the Literature ..., Vol. 1 Loren R. Lerner, Mary F. Williamson University of Toronto press 1991
- Entre L’hallucination et la douceur. Marie-Michele Cron Le Devoir. Saturday 19th Sept 1992 Page C14
- Boreal Blues. Montreal Mirror September 24th 1992 Illustrated
- Offbeat, Exuberant. Henry Lehman Montreal Gazette Saturday Sept 26th 1992 Illustrated
- Trevor Goring : Des forêts et des hommes, Michael Molter - Vie des Arts, vol. 39, n° 157, 1994-1995, p. 56-59. http://id.erudit.org/iderudit/53487ac
- Corridart 25 Ans Plus Tard, Galerie d'art Leonard & Bina Ellen, Jan 1, 2001 - Art - 46 pages, http://books.google.ca/books/about/Corridart_25_Ans_Plus_Tard.html?id=ZS_cAAAACAAJ&redir_esc=y
- Artexte, http://e-artexte.ca/5191/
Images of Justice. References
- Trevor Goring. Images of Justice, Susan Lightstone. - National Magazine. Canadian Bar Association, October 1994 Vol. 3. No. 7, Pages 40 -42 Illustrated
- New York Injury Lawyers, http://www.newyorkinjurynews.com/2009/07/27/8220King-Of-Torts8221-Melvin-Belli-honoured-in-home-town-San-Francisco-by-Belli-Society-and-artist-Trevor-Goring_20090727532.html
- A Tapestry Of Law, The Lawyers Weekly. Issue 2436 Feb 4th 2005, Illustrated
- Carroll Associates. Counsel for the Arts, http://www.carrollassoc.com/goring.html
- Portrait of the Artist As Lawgiver, Feature article. - Peter K. Hrastovec, Caveat Magazine. 1994 Page 18. Illustrated
- Image Making. The Art of Trevor Goring., Perspectives. American Bar Association, Fall 1996 Vol. 5, No. 3 Page 4
- The Good Lawyer. Seeking Quality in the Practice of Law. Douglas O. Linder and Nancy Levit. Oxford University Press 2014. Page 261.
- Irish Examiner December 13th 2006, http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2006/1213/ireland/painting-honours-couple-20577.html
- President Wrixon’s Portrait. - University College Cork News. January 2007, Page 25. Illustrated.
- The Changing Face of Portraiture in Ireland - University College Cork News. May 2007, Page 18-19 Illustrated
- Melvin Belli, Plaintiff Magazine - November 2009 Page 16-17 Illustrated, http://www.plaintiffmagazine.com/nov09/goring_artist-reveals-the-multifaceted-king-of-torts_plaintif-magazine.pdf
- Bobby Lee Cook portrait, http://news.gonzaga.edu/2009/famed-lawyer-cook-delivers-luvera-lecture-sept-30
- Karin Marks Portrait unveiled. - Westmount Examiner. Thursday March 8th 2012, Lead story front page. Illustrated
- Voir Dire. American Board of Trial Advocates. Vol. IV Pages 10-15 Issue 3 Summer 1997. - Heirlooms of Legal History. The Paris Collections, Illustrated.
- Tallahassee.com. Florida State University Law School - June 2013, http://archive.tallahassee.com/article/20130606/CHRONICLE/306060021/
- American Inns of Court. - Magazine article. July 2013, http://www.innsofcourt.org/ebencher/Bencher_JulAug2013.pdf
- American Association for Justice. Faculty. Skiing with Stars - Deer Valley, Utah, March 2014, http://www.justice.org/cps/rde/justice/hs.xsl/22302.htm & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3A7ExlZ2f0
This may take several weeks, to over a month. The Articles for creation process is severely backlogged. Please be patient. There are 2680 submissions waiting for review.