||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (April 2013)|
|Stable release||V1R3.1 / January 25, 2013|
|Operating system||Windows, Mac OS X, Linux|
DraftSight is a proprietary freeware 2D computer-aided design (CAD) software application. The product was developed by Dassault Systèmes and lets users create, edit and view DWG and AutoCAD DXF files.
DraftSight for Windows was released in February 2011 and was downloaded more than 1.8 million times as of December 2011.
Languages available include English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Czech, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, Turkish and Russian.
DraftSight has a file size of 76 MB. The activated DraftSight application folder takes up 185 MB. The software itself uses ARES from Graebert GmbH as platform.
DraftSight allows users to access DWG/DXF files, regardless of which CAD software was originally used to create them - except AutoCAD 2013 and later. According to industry estimates, there are more than three billion DWG legacy files in existence. As stated on its Homepage DraftSight uses the Teigha Classic for .dwg files and Teigha for .dwg files specifications from the Open Design Alliance to interpret the dwg-file format.
DraftSight runs on Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 (general release), Mac OS X and Linux (Mac and Linux are currently in beta).
- Initial beta release for Windows: June 2010
- Mac beta I release: September 2010
- General release for Windows: February 2011
- Linux beta release: March 2011
- Mac beta II release: March 2011
DraftSight was designed for professional CAD users and includes the following features:
- Read and write support for DWG/DXF files
- File | Save to DWT/DWG/DXF files back to previous versions ( need email activation)
- Create binary or ASCII DXF files
- Attach image files (.bmp, .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .tif, & .tiff)
- Attach external reference drawings
- File | Print to .plt, .jpg, .pdf, .png, & .svg file formats.
- Save as .wmf, .jpeg, .pdf, .png, .sld, .svg, .tif, & .stl
- Multi-page PDF creation
- Publish to eDrawings or Drawings Now
- File | export | Export To *.bmp, *.emf, *.jpg,*.pdf, *.png, *.sld,*.svg, *.tiff file formats.
- Cartesian coordinate system
- Command-line input
- Traditional toolbars and menus
- Wheel-mouse pan & zoom
- Blocks & reference files
- Layers & layer manager
- Polygonal ViewPorts
- ViewPort locking
- Freeze, lock or turn off layers per ViewPort
- Background masks for notes
- Property manager
- View proxy objects
- Dynamic pan & zoom
- Command aliases
- Menu files
- CTB and STB print style tables
- SHX and TrueType fonts
- LineStyle files
- Hatch pattern files
Online user community
Dassault Systèmes hosts an open, on-line community SwYm (See What You Mean) for DraftSight users. According to Machine Design magazine, engineers are increasingly turning to industry-specific social networking sites to collaborate on projects. The community also holds training resources.
The Draftsight community have an access to a CAD Library that allows access to 2D drawings from over 350 component supplier catalogs including: 3M, Advantech, Asco Numatics, Bosch Rexroth, Cepex, CGI, Clippard, DE-STA-CO, Facom, IFM, Igus, INA/FAG, Mädler, Norelem, Nozag, Parker Legris, Pneumadyne, RS Components, Schmersal, Schmalz, Schneider Electric, Sherex and Zimm.
- DraftSight Surpasses One Million Downloads
- Interview With Aaron Kelley On DraftSight at Deelip.com
- DraftSight Features
- Machine Design Magazine: “DraftSight has a social networking side.”