Dragonology is a series of several books, a modeling kit, and a board game released in 2006. The books are presented as works of non fiction written by a dragonologist, Dr. Ernest Drake. Dragonology mainly explains the science of dragons, how to find dragons, how to befriend dragons, and how to protect dragons. It includes an alphabet of the dragon language and ancient runes, and replica samples of dragon scales, hide, and dust. The other books in the series expand on these concepts and explain them in more detail than the original book. The toys include figures and models of the various types of dragons, a strategic board game, and a card game.
The first book is officially edited by Dugald A. Steer, with other contributors credited as Helen Ward (Scientific Artist), Douglas Carrel (Chief Draughtsman), Wayne Anderson (Pictorial Artist), and Nghiem Ta (Artistic Direction).
Dr. Ernest Drake is described as living in the 19th century and being a member of the Secret and Ancient Society of Dragonologists (S.A.S.D.). Dragonology is the study and conservation of dragons, who during his time were becoming extinct due to rapidly increasing human population. The photograph of him in Dragonology bears a very close resemblance to Steer's great grandfather. His books, Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons (one hundred copies printed in 1896), The Dragonology Handbook: A Practical Course in Dragons (1893), and Tracking And Taming Dragons: A Guide For Beginners were republished by the Five Mile Press, who have also created facsimiles of Wizardology and the Wizardology Handbook [both written by Merlin, the legendary wizard], Egyptology [by Emily Sands] and Pirateology [by captain William Lubber].
Goals and Alliances
Dr Ernest Drake's lifelong goal was to help bring dragons the scientific attention they deserve, and to protect them. By writing his dragonology books, Dr Drake Wanted to teach openminded students to appreciate and protect dragons. Dr Drake worked with the SASD ( Secret and Ancient Society of Dragonologists), an organization formed to share and expand the scientific information on dragonology.
- Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons by Dr. Ernest Drake, editor Dugald A. Steer, ISBN 1-84011-503-3
- The Dragonology Handbook - a Practical Course in Dragons' by Dr. Ernest Drake, editor Dugald A. Steer, ISBN 1-84011-523-8
- The Dragonology Chronicles: The Dragon's Eye by Dugald Steer, ISBN 1-84011-533-5
- Dragonology Pocket Adventures Collection:
- The Northern Frost Dragon
- The Dragon Dance
- The Winged Serpent
- Dragonology, Bringing up Baby Dragons
- Dragonology The Complete Works
- Dragonology The Frost Dragon
- Dragonology Field Guide to Dragons
- Drake's Comprehensive Compendium of Dragonology
- Dragonollogy field guide
- Dragonology: Obscure Spells and Charms of Dragon Origin
- Dragonology: Tracking and Taming Dragons
- Dragonology: Field Guide to Dragons
- Dragonology: Code Writing Kit
- Dragonology: Drake's Comprehensive Compendium of Dragonology
Sets, Games, and Toys
- Dragonology: The Board Game
- Dragonology: Hatch (cards)
- Series 1 Dragon Toys
- Series 2 Dragon Toys
- Miniature Dragon Toys
- Dragonology: Dragon 'Build your own' models
- Dragonology: The Complete Book Of Dragons