||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (August 2011)|
|Stable release||X6 / March 4, 2013|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
|Type||Vector graphics editor|
In addition to traditional vector drawing tools, DrawPlus provides realistic, natural-looking brushes that allow the user to paint with watercolours, oils and other media whilst retaining vector editing capability. DrawPlus is also able to produce Stop frame and Key frame animations, including output to Adobe Flash swf file format and support for ActionScript.
DrawPlus X5 and Starter Edition offer support for pressure-sensitive input devices such as Wacom's range of tablets. Both applications feature a Pressure Studio to allow calibration of the individual devices and allow functions to be mapped to the supported buttons on the tablet. DrawPlus supports pressure-sensitive vector lines and brushes to create a striking range of effects from manga through to painting in an array of media.
DrawPlus is available both as a paid-for version, DrawPlus X5, or as a cut-down Starter Edition which is completely free. Both variants support SVG import and export to provide compatibility with other vector editing software.
||This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (January 2014)|
- DrawPlus 2.0 1993.
- DrawPlus 3 1996.
- DrawPlus 5 2000.
- DrawPlus 6 2001.
- DrawPlus 7 2003.
- DrawPlus 8 2005.
- DrawPlus X2 2007.
- DrawPlus X3 2009.
- DrawPlus X4 2010.
- DrawPlus X5 2011.
- DrawPlus X6 2013.
Object creation and editing
DrawPlus provides a range of object creation and editing tools which are common in other editors, and also offers additional tools 
- Pencil and Paintbrush tools create freehand curves. The Pen tool creates Bézier curves and the Line tool allows easy creation of straight line segments. All of these tools can also be used to manipulate existing curves.
- Context-sensitive Node tool provides control over post-editing objects and nodes.
- A range of QuickShapes which are predefined simple shapes that can be quickly modified with sliders to adjust certain parameters, for example quickly creating rounded rectangles, etc. Shapes include: Rectangles, Ellipses, Stars, Spirals, Cogs, Petals, etc.
- Freeform Paint tool creates solid polygons by 'painting' areas.
- Eraser tool for intuitive object erasing and manipulation.
- Knife tool to cut through objects leaving them in multiple, editable pieces.
- HSL, RGB and CMYK colour models. Plus a range of Pantone palettes.
- Gradient colour picker which samples gradients and allows them to be used as fills, in addition to single colour picking.
- Gradient fill and transparency effects, also mesh fills.
- Connector and Dimension tools for creating flowcharts and technical drawings.
- Artistic Text, Frame Text (which wraps to a frame) and Curve Text which can be entered onto an existing curve.
- DrawPlus offers image editing and filters through its PhotoLab and also provides a dedicated background-removal tool in the form of Cutout Studio. X4 introduced an Autotrace Studio to automatically convert bitmaps into vector representations.
- Shadow tool to interactively add drop and wall shadows to any object.
- Crop tool allows easy cropping of any object(s) including photographs.
- Blend tool.
- Envelope, Roughen and Perspective tools.
- Filter Effects for one-click realistic effects such as glass, metallic, plastic and other 2D/3D filters. (this is limited in Starter Edition).
- Instant 3D to transform 2D objects into 3D.
- Snapping allows objects to be snapped to page margins, centres and guides. Dynamic Guides allow snapping objects to existing objects and vertices.
- Object Properties tab shows all the current attributes applied to the selected object at a glance and allows them to be edited freely.
- 3D Planes to aid creation of pseudo-3D objects.
- Various Overlays such as Golden Spiral, Rule of Thirds and an Export Overlay, which help with design and layout.
- How To tab offering context-sensitive help depending on current selection and tool choice.
- Layers Control showing previews of each element of the document in a tree-view.
- User-definable keyboard shortcuts.
DrawPlus X5 and Starter Edition both support the SVG file format in order to allow cross-application document exchange. Both versions also support PNG, JPEG, GIF, Microsoft HD Photo and TIFF export. DrawPlus also opens and exports PDF documents, CAD drawings, and is also able to open EPS documents and Adobe Illustrator files (version 9.0 onwards). DrawPlus can be used to create Adobe Flash swf files and WMV/AVI movies from user animations. DrawPlus can also be used to create GIF animations. Output from both DrawPlus and Starter Edition can be automatically supersampled to create very high quality exported images.
- Comparison of vector graphics editors
- List of vector graphics editors
- Open Clip Art Library
- Open Font Library
- "DrawPlus Full Feature List". (Serif Europe) Limited. 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-25.
- Serif DrawPlus X5 review by PC Advisor
- DrawPlus X4 Review by Bright Hub
- DrawPlus X4 Review by SoftwareCrew