Florence in 2006.
No. -- Free agent
|Date of birth:December 19, 1980|
|Place of birth: Waycross, Georgia|
|High school: Ocala (FL) Vanguard|
|NFL Draft: 2003 / Round: 2 / Pick: 46|
|Debuted in 2003 for the San Diego Chargers|
|Roster status: Active|
Career NFL statistics as of Week 15, 2012
Drayton Florence, Jr. (born December 19, 1980) is a American football cornerback who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the San Diego Chargers in the second round of the 2003 NFL Draft. He played college football at Tennessee-Chattanooga and Tuskegee.
- 1 Early years
- 2 College career
- 3 Professional career
- 4 Personal
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Florence attended Tuskegee University (2001–2002) after transferring from the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (1999–2000). He registered school-record three returns for touchdowns on interceptions at Tuskegee. As a senior, he was named first-team Division II All-America by the Associated Press and American Coaches Association. He majored in social work.
2003 NFL Draft
Florence was drafted by the Chargers 46th overall in the second round of the 2003 NFL Draft and was the 2nd cornerback selected by Chargers that draft after Sammy Davis. He is the highest drafted NFL player from Tuskegee University
|Ht||Wt||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20 ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6-0¼ *||198 lb *||4.39 *||1.53 *||2.58 *||X *||X *||35 in. *||10'04" *||18 *||X|
|(* represents NFL Combine)|
San Diego Chargers
On Sunday, January 14, 2007 in the AFC Divisional Playoff game against the New England Patriots after a muffed punt by wide receiver Eric Parker at the San Diego 31-yard line, Florence committed a personal foul, head-butting Patriot TE Daniel Graham following a 3rd and long play. During the play, the Charger defense had stopped the Patriots for a 7-yard loss putting the ball at the Charger 37-yard line (apx. 53-yard field goal range). The result of the penalty was a Patriots first down on the Charger 18. The extension of the drive led to a Stephen Gostkowski 34 yard field goal. The Patriots went on to win the game 24-21.
The NFL fined San Diego Chargers cornerback Drayton Florence $15,000 for the illegal hit he put on Houston Texans Quarterback Matt Schaub on Sunday October 28. On an interception return, Florence drilled Schaub from the blind side, and he was penalized 15 yards for unnecessary roughness. The league ruled that on a change of possession, Florence unnecessarily made helmet-to-helmet contact with Schaub, who suffered a concussion and missed the rest of the game.
On March 1, 2008, Florence was signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars to a six-year $36 million contract with $13 million in guaranteed money. After only one disappointing season with the team he was released on February 11, 2009.
On March 3, 2009, Florence was signed by the Buffalo Bills. Florence made the starting rotation under Head Coach Chan Gailey. Florence responded by leading the Bills in takeaways, including a fumble returned for a touchdown against the Bengals and an interception returned for a touchdown against Minnesota, two weeks apart. He also scored the go-ahead touchdown in the Bills' victory against the New England Patriots in 2011.
On July 27, 2011, Florence re-signed with the Bills for 3 years at a total contract value of $15 million. On May 4, 2012, Florence was released.
Florence signed with the Denver Broncos on May 10, 2012 and released on Aug, 31, 2012.
On August 31, 2013, he was cut by the Panthers. He was later re-signed to their roster on September 19, 2013.
Return to the Detroit Lions
|Year||Team||GP||COMB||TOTAL||AST||SACK||FF||FR||FR YDS||INT||IR YDS||AVG IR||LNG||TD||PD|
- GP: games played
- COMB: combined tackles
- TOTAL: total tackles
- AST: assisted tackles
- SACK: sacks
- FF: forced fumbles
- FR: fumble recoveries
- FR YDS: fumble return yards
- INT: interceptions
- IR YDS: interception return yards
- AVG IR: average interception return
- LNG: longest interception return
- TD: interceptions returned for touchdown
- PD: passes defensed
- "Drayton Florence Draft Profile", NFLDraftScout.com, retrieved January 18, 2010
- "The Marty Watch begins following Chargers' ouster". Sporting News. 2007-01-15. Retrieved 2007-01-17.
- "Play By Play, 3rd Quarter". ESPN. 2007-01-14. Retrieved 2007-01-17.
- "Jags sign former San Diego cornerback". 2008-03-01. Retrieved 2008-03-01.
- Ketchman, Vic (02-11-2009). "Porter, Florence cut by Jaguars". Jaguars.com. Retrieved 02-11-2009. Check date values in:
- Bills, CB Florence Agree to Terms Yahoo Sports, March 4, 2009
- Drayton Florence to sign with Lions, reports say
- Panthers sign veteran Drayton Florence
- Dunkak, Ashley. "Lions Sign Veteran Cornerback Drayton Florence". CBS Detroit. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- "Drayton Florence Stats". ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- Ultimate Jaguars Newsroom: It's a Small world 02/19/04