DreamWorks Animation in amusement parks
|Part of a series on|
|Theming in amusement parks|
|Amusement Parks Portal|
Since the early 2000s, DreamWorks Animation, an American animation studio, has had an involvement in the creation and theming of amusement park rides and attractions. This article details the ventures of DreamWorks Animation in amusement parks.
In 2003, Universal Parks & Resorts opened the 4D film called Shrek 4-D at Universal Studios Florida, Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Studios Japan. The film is chronologically sequenced between the original 2001 film Shrek and Shrek 2 which was released in 2004. In 2004 and 2005, Shrek 4-D was added to Movie Park Germany and Warner Bros. Movie World respectively (the film was later removed from Warner Bros. Movie World in favour of Journey to the Center of the Earth 4-D Adventure).
On 18 March 2010, DreamWorks Animation moved further into the theme park industry with the opening of two themed lands at Universal Studios Singapore. The first land is Madagascar which is based upon the 2005 film of the same name. The second land is Far Far Away which is based upon the Shrek franchise. Each of the lands featured a variety of attractions themed after the movies. In 2011, Dreamworld announced a $10 million deal with DreamWorks Animation to bring the company's characters to their amusement park. In a 3-stage development beginning on 19 December 2011, Dreamworld will open new shows and newly themed rides and attractions.
In February 2013, it was revealed that DreamWorks Animation has partnered with Regions GC to build in Russia Europe's largest indoor theme parks. Set in Moscow, Saint Petersburg and Yekaterinburg, each park will incorporate a movie and concert hall, 4D movie theater, three-star 400-room hotel and retails. The parks, which are expected to be completed in 2015, will feature themes based on Shrek, Madagascar, How to Train Your Dragon, Kung Fu Panda, and Turbo.
In May 2013, DreamWorks signed a licensing agreement with Sands China to bring its cast of animated characters to Sands Cotai Central in Macau. The resorts will present a series of performances, parades, dining experiences, meet-and-greets and photo opportunities highlighting characters such as Po from Kung Fu Panda; Shrek, Fiona and Puss in Boots from Shrek; Alex the Lion, King Julien and the Penguins from Madagascar and Toothless and Hiccup from How to Train Your Dragon.
|Park||Area||Opening date||Closing date||Previous attraction||Replaced by|
|Dreamworld||1 April 2012||N/A||Kid's World
|Movie Park Germany||Standalone attraction||27 May 2004||N/A||SpongeBob SquarePants 4-D||N/A|
|Universal Studios Florida||Standalone attractions||12 June 2003||N/A||Alfred Hitchcock: The Art of Making Movies
|Universal Studios Hollywood||Standalone attractions||23 May 2003||N/A||Rugrats Magic Adventure 3-D||N/A|
|Universal Studios Japan||Standalone attraction||20 June 2003||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Universal Studios Singapore||
||18 March 2010||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Warner Bros. Movie World||Standalone attractions||17 September 2005||29 August 2010||Marvin the Martian in 3D||Journey to the Center of the Earth 4-D Adventure|
Below is a list of all of the attractions at DreamWorks Animation themed children's areas around the world. The dates shown in the columns refer to the opening and closing dates for the ride under that name. It does not mean that the ride was closed and/or removed.
|Donkey Live||Interative live show||2010–|
|Donkey's Photo Finish||Meet and greet||2003–|
|DreamWorks Holiday Shrektacular Show||Live show||2011–2012|
|Dronkey Flyers||Children's rotating flat ride||2012–|
|Enchanted Airways||Junior roller coaster||2010–|
|Escape from Madagascar||Suspended Family Coaster||2012–|
|Gingy's Glider||Kite Flyer||2012–|
|King Julien's Beach Party-Go-Round||Carousel||2010–|
|King Julien's Theatre in the Wild||Show stage||2012–|
|Kung Fu Academy||Play area||2012–|
|MAD Jungle Jam||Ball play area||2012–|
|Madagascar: A Crate Adventure||Water ride||2011–|
|Magic Potion Spin||Children's ferris wheel||2010–|
|Meet Shrek and Donkey||Meet and greet||2003–|
|Pandamonium||Zamperla Air Race||2012–|
|Puss in Boots Sword Swing||Swing ride||2012–|
|Shrek 4-D||4D film||2004–||2003–||2003–||2003–||2010–||2005–2010|
|Shrek Live||Live show||????-????|
Madagascar: A Crate Adventure at Universal Studios Singapore
- "Shrek 4D (Warner Bros. Movie World)". Parkz. Retrieved 27 November 2011.
- Scott, Tessa (10 November 2011). "DreamWorks at Dreamworld". Nine Gold Coast News. Retrieved 10 November 2011.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (February 15, 2013). "DreamWorks Animation Plans Indoor Theme Parks In Three Russian Cities". Deadline. Retrieved February 15, 2013.
- Yu, Grace (2 May 2013). "Sands China-DreamWorks agreement: Shrek, Kung Fu Panda and more coming to Cotai". Macau Daily Times. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "Dreamworld Unveils Spectacular End of 2011: New World-Class Entertainment Alliance with DreamWorks Animation". Press Release. Dreamworld. 10 November 2011. Retrieved 10 November 2011.
- "Marvin the Martian in 3D (Warner Bros. Movie World)". Parkz. Retrieved 27 November 2011.
- "Journey To The Center Of The Earth 4-D Adventure (Warner Bros. Movie World)". Parkz. Retrieved 27 November 2011.
- Universal Studios Singapore. "Donkey Live". Resorts World Sentosa. Retrieved 27 November 2011.
- Abate, Amanda (10 November 2011). "DreamWorks Deal". Seven News. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- "Dreamworld To Open New Dreamworks Animation Precinct". Press Release. Dreamworld. February 2012. Archived from the original on 20 February 2012. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- Marden, Duane. "Enchanted Airways (Warner Bros. Movie World)". Roller Coaster DataBase. Retrieved 27 November 2011.
- Universal Studios Singapore. "King Julien's Beach Party-Go-Round". Resorts World Sentosa. Retrieved 27 November 2011.
- Universal Studios Singapore. "Madagascar: A Crate Adventure". Resorts World Sentosa. Retrieved 27 November 2011.
- Universal Studios Singapore. "Magic Potion Spin". Resorts World Sentosa. Retrieved 27 November 2011.
- "Shrek 4-D (Universal Studios Florida)". Parkz. Retrieved 27 November 2011.
- Universal Studios Singapore. "Shrek 4-D Adventure". Resorts World Sentosa. Retrieved 27 November 2011.
- "Shrek Live (Warner Bros. Movie World)". Parkz. Retrieved 27 November 2011.