Dream Theater (album)
|Studio album by Dream Theater|
|Released||September 20, 2013|
|Recorded||January–May 2013 at Cove City Sound Studios in Glen Cove, New York|
|Genre||Progressive metal, progressive rock, hard rock|
|Dream Theater chronology|
|Singles from Dream Theater|
Dream Theater is the self-titled twelfth studio album by American progressive metal/rock band Dream Theater, released on September 23, 2013 in Europe through Roadrunner Records and a day later in the US.
Dream Theater is a progressive rock, progressive metal, and hard rock album, and songs on the album also include elements of symphonic rock, symphonic metal, pop, arena rock, soft rock, and classical music.
Preliminary writing for Dream Theater's twelfth album commenced on the A Dramatic Turn of Events Tour in April 2012. During soundchecks, the band would jam and record their ideas, and guitarist John Petrucci would try out independently composed material. They did not enter the recording studio until January 2013, returning to Cove City Sound Studios in Glen Cove, New York, where they recorded their previous album, A Dramatic Turn of Events. Recording concluded in May. The album was engineered by Richard Chycki, the guitarist of Winter Rose, a 1980s glam metal act of which James LaBrie was a member before joining Dream Theater.
Dream Theater is the first Dream Theater album with Mike Mangini wholly integrated in the creative process from the start; as John Petrucci programmed the drum parts on A Dramatic Turn of Events for the writing process, although Mangini was subsequently recorded playing parts that he and the band (after listening to them) thought suitable for the final version. Commenting on Mangini's work, Petrucci said: "When people hear the drumming on this album, they’re gonna be pretty freaked out. On the last album, he did a great job, but he wasn’t there for the writing process and he was interpreting drum parts that I had programmed. Even though he used his creativity, of course, to change them up and do his thing, I feel like now he’s just Mike Mangini unleashed. It's all him. It's all his creativity, all his decisions and ideas - and man, the guy's an animal." 
The album features two instrumentals, the band's first album to have such a song since 2003's Train of Thought. The album also features a string ensemble on "False Awakening Suite" and "Illumination Theory," conducted and arranged by Eren Başbuğ.
The album was released on September 24. The album's first single, "The Enemy Inside", was made available for streaming by USA Today on August 5. Its second single, "Along for the Ride", was made available for streaming one month later. On September 16, Rolling Stone premiered the album on its website, offering a free stream of the full album for a week leading to its release. The album was released in a standard CD edition, Deluxe CD+DVD Edition, a double Vinyl LP, a limited edition box set, and a digital format.
Dream Theater has received critical acclaim. Allmusic called it "one of the more dynamic, far-reaching albums in DT's catalog," giving special praise to Mike Mangini's full integration into the band. Loudwire gave the album a score of 4.5/5, praising its more streamlined sound compared to previous Dream Theater albums and saying that "Towering and atmospheric, ‘Dream Theater’ pushes the envelope into some new musical dimension, a cosmic realm reserved for the best".
It also received praise from Metalholic.com saying "Prepare to be not only submerged but actually touched by this album…’Dream Theater’ is an emotional leviathan". UltimateGuitar.com gave a positive review, saying "The musicianship is flawless (as always), the composition is genius, the mixing is great".
After being released on September 24, 2013, it sold around 34,000 copies in the first week to land at No. 7 on the Billboard 200 chart, making it the band's second highest chart position, behind Black Clouds & Silver Linings, which peaked at No. 6. It also is the band's third consecutive top 10 debut. Also, the album topped Billboard's list of "Hard Rock Albums". It entered the Top 5 in fourteen countries including Japan, Germany, Argentina, the Netherlands, Finland, Italy, Switzerland and Canada; and Top 10 in nine countries including Denmark, Norway, Austria, Australia and United Kingdom.
The band also received their second Grammy nomination when the first single from the album, "The Enemy Inside", was nominated for "Best Metal Performance".
|1.||"False Awakening Suite"
|2.||"The Enemy Inside"||6:17|
|3.||"The Looking Glass"||4:53|
|4.||"Enigma Machine" (instrumental; music by Petrucci, Rudess, Myung, Mangini)||6:01|
|5.||"The Bigger Picture"||7:40|
|6.||"Behind the Veil"||6:52|
|7.||"Surrender to Reason" (lyrics by Myung)||6:34|
|8.||"Along for the Ride" (music by Petrucci, Rudess)||4:45|
|Japanese edition bonus track|
|10.||"The Enemy Inside" (instrumental)||6:17|
- Dream Theater
- James LaBrie – lead vocals
- John Petrucci – guitar, backing vocals, producer
- Jordan Rudess – keyboards, GeoSynth App, Seaboard
- John Myung – bass
- Mike Mangini – drums, percussion
- String Ensemble
- Violin I - Misha Gutenberg (Concert Master), Larisa Vollis
- Violin II - Yelena Khaimova, Yevgeniy Mansurov
- Viola - Aleksandr Anisimov, Noah Wallace
- Cello - Anastasia Golenisheva, Valeriya Sholokhova
- Contrabass - Len Sluetsky
- Richard Chycki: Engineering and Mixing
- James "Jimmy T" Meslin: Assistant Engineer
- John Arbuckle: Intern
- Eren Başbuğ: Orchestral Arrangements, Conducting
- Ted Jensen: Mastering
- Hugh Syme: Cover and Album Design 
|Czech Republic ||4|
|Germany (Metal-Rock-Charts) ||2|
|UK Albums Chart ||15|
|UK Rock Chart ||1|
|US Billboard 200 ||7|
|US Billboard Tastemaker Albums ||3|
|US Billboard Top Digital Albums ||10|
|US Billboard Top Hard Rock Albums ||1|
|US Billboard Top Rock Albums ||3|
- "Dream Theater // The Milestone Self-Titled Album Out Now!". Roadrunner Records UK. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Writing for the next DT album officially commenced while in Osaka the other day. Jet lag seems to open up one's creative channels.". John Petrucci - Facebook. Retrieved 9 June 2013.
- Grubbs, Eric. "Dream Theater's John Petrucci On Obsessing Over Rush, Playing "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and More". Dallas Observer. Retrieved 9 June 2013.
- Teitelman, Bram. "EXCLUSIVE: DREAM THEATER’S JOHN PETRUCCI TALKS ABOUT DECISION TO REMAIN ON ROADRUNNER; WIN A SIGNED FILM CEL". Metal Insider. Retrieved 9 June 2013.
- "DT album is officially wrapped! Looking forward to the mix.". John Petrucci - Facebook. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- Epting, Chris. "Jordan Rudess Updates Noisecreep on the Next Dream Theater Album (VIDEO)". Noisecreep. Retrieved 9 June 2013.
- Note at the band's official Facebook page
- "Dream Theater Twitter Q&A with John Myung Will you be writing lyrics". dreamtheater - YouTube. Retrieved 9 June 2013.
- Bosso, Joe. "Jordan Rudess talks Dream Theater's self-titled new album track-by-track". MusicRadar.
- Mansfield, Brian (5 August 2013). "Song premiere: Dream Theater's 'The Enemy Inside'". USA Today. Gannett Company. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "DREAM THEATER: New Song 'Along For The Ride' Available For Streaming". Blabbermouth. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- Reed, Ryan. "Dream Theater Channel Prog Metal in 'Dream Theater' - Premier". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- Jurek, Thom (2013). "Dream Theater, Review by Thom Jurek". www.allmusic.com. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- David Perri. "DREAM THEATER - Dream Theater". BW&BK.
- Epting, Chris (2013). "Dream Theater, 'Dream Theater' - album review". www.loudwire.com. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- Metalholic.com - CD Review: DREAM THEATER — Dream Theater
- About.com - Dream Theater — Dream Theater Review
- PremierGuitar.com — Album Review: Dream Theater - "Dream Theater"
- Neobeat.co - "Dream Theater" Album Review
- "DREAM THEATER's New Album Cracks U.S. Top 10". BlabberMouth.
- Dream Theater Pre-Orders Available Now!!!
- Dream Theater Austrian chart (Woche 39): http://oe3.orf.at/charts/stories/album/
- Dream Theater Australian chart: http://australian-charts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Dream+Theater&titel=Dream+Theater&cat=a
- Dream Theater Belgian chart "http://www.ultratop.be/nl/showitem.asp?interpret=Dream+Theater&titel=6%3A00&cat=s"
- Dream Theater Canadian chart: http://www.billboard.com/charts/2013-10-12/canadian-albums
- Filter: "Uge 39" http://www.hitlisten.nu/
- Dream Theater's German chart (Reference available until week 40): http://www.mix1.de/charts/longplaycharts.htm
- Dream Theater's German Metal-Rock-chart (Reference available until week 40): http://www.mix1.de/charts/metal-rock-charts.htm
- Dream Theater's Dutch chart: http://www.dutchcharts.nl/weekchart.asp?cat=a&year=2013&date=20130928
- Dream Theater's Hungarian chart (2013. 39. hét): http://zene.slagerlistak.hu/top-40-album-dvd-es-valogataslemez-lista
- Dream Theater Italian charts: http://www.fimi.it/main/chart_id/1653
- Dream Theater Norwegian chart: http://norwegiancharts.com/archiv.asp?sparte=a&woche=39&jahr=2013&todo=show
- "Top Oficial AFP" (in Portuguese). Retrieved 10-11-2013.
- "Dream Theater alcanza el puesto 11º de ventas en España AFP" (in Spanish). Retrieved 7-11-2013.
- Dream Theater Swedish chart: http://swedishcharts.com/weekchart.asp?cat=a&year=2013&date=20131004
- Dream Theater Swiss charts: http://www.hitparade.ch/weekchart.asp?cat=a&date=20131006&year=2013
- Dream Theater - UK Top 100 Albums Chart: http://www.officialcharts.com/artist/_/dream%20theater/
- Dream Theater - UK Rock Chart: http://www.officialcharts.com/rock-and-metal-albums-chart/
- Dream Theater - Billboard 200 Chart: http://www.billboard.com/charts/2013-10-12/billboard-200
- Dream Theater - Billboard Tastemaker Albums Chart: http://www.billboard.com/charts/2013-10-12/hard-rock-albums
- Dream Theater - Billboard Digital Albums Chart: http://www.billboard.com/artist/301301/dream%2Btheater/chart?f=400
- Dream Theater - Billboard Hard Rock Albums Chart: http://www.billboard.com/charts/2013-10-12/hard-rock-albums
- Dream Theater - Billboard Rock Albums Chart: http://www.billboard.com/artist/301301/dream%2Btheater/chart?f=408