|Herring under a fur coat, fur coat|
|Herring, vegetables (potatoes, carrots, beet roots), onions, mayonnaise|
|Cookbook:Dressed herring Dressed herring|
Dressed herring, colloquially known as herring under a fur coat or just fur coat (Russian: Селёдка под шубой - Selyodka Pod Shuboi, Russian: Шуба - Shuba) is a layered salad composed of diced salted herring covered with layers of grated boiled vegetables (potatoes, carrots, beet roots), chopped onions, and mayonnaise. Some variations of this dish include a layer of fresh grated apple and some don't.
- Herring under a fur coat recipe with an apple
- Herring under a fur coat recipe without apple
- in the U.S.S.R., by Anya von Bremzen in Food&Wine, Published: December 2003
- New Year Celebration History (in Russian)
- Catching a herring under a fur coat Irakli Iosebashvili, 2 October 2009, Russia Beyond the Headlines, article with recipe.
- Video Tutorial by Gipsy Chef