Drew County, Arkansas
|Drew County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Arkansas's location in the U.S.
|Founded||November 26, 1846|
|Named for||Thomas Drew|
|• Total||836 sq mi (2,165 km2)|
|• Land||828 sq mi (2,145 km2)|
|• Water||7.3 sq mi (19 km2), 0.9%|
|• Density||22/sq mi (8/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Drew County is a county located in the U.S. state of Arkansas. As of the 2010 census, the population was 18,509. The county seat is Monticello. Drew County was formed on November 26, 1846, and named for Thomas Drew, the 3rd governor of Arkansas.
- Lincoln County (north)
- Desha County (northeast)
- Chicot County (southeast)
- Ashley County (south)
- Bradley County (west)
- Cleveland County (northwest)
As of the 2000 United States Census, there were 18,723 people, 7,337 households, and 5,091 families residing in the county. The population density was 23 people per square mile (9/km²). There were 8,287 housing units at an average density of 10 per square mile (4/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 70.30% White, 27.16% Black or African American, 0.25% Native American, 0.42% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.00% from other races, and 0.85% from two or more races. 1.76% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 7,337 households out of which 33.50% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.30% were married couples living together, 14.20% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.60% were non-families. 26.00% of all households are made and 10.50% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.46 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.80% under the age of 18, 12.60% from 18 to 24, 27.20% from 25 to 44, 21.50% from 45 to 64, and 12.80% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 94.10 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.50 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $28,627, and the median income for a family was $37,317. Males had a median income of $30,794 versus $20,707 for females. The per capita income for the county was $16,264. About 13.10% of families and 18.20% of the population were below the poverty line, including 21.90% of those under age 18 and 21.80% of those age 65 or over.
Townships in Arkansas are the divisions of a county. Each township includes unincorporated areas; some may have incorporated cities or towns within part of their boundaries. Arkansas townships have limited purposes in modern times. However, the United States Census does list Arkansas population based on townships (sometimes referred to as "county subdivisions" or "minor civil divisions"). Townships are also of value for historical purposes in terms of genealogical research. Each town or city is within one or more townships in an Arkansas county based on census maps and publications. The townships of Drew County are listed below; listed in parentheses are the cities, towns, and/or census-designated places that are fully or partially inside the township. 
- Bartholomew (contains Jerome)
- Clear Creek
- Franklin (contains part of Tillar)
- Live Oak (contains Winchester)
- Marion (contains Monticello)
- Saline (contains Wilmar)
- Spring Hill
- List of lakes in Drew County, Arkansas
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Drew County, Arkansas
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 109.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- Based on 2000 census data
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Summary Population and Housing Characteristics, CPH-1-5, Arkansas" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. United States Census Bureau. September 2012. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- 2011 Boundary and Annexation Survey (BAS): Drew County, AR (PDF) (Map). U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- "Arkansas: 2010 Census Block Maps - County Subdivision". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 28, 2014.
||Cleveland County||Lincoln County||Desha County|
|Ashley County||Chicot County|