|Toronto Blue Jays – No. 36|
August 22, 1990 |
|Bats: Left||Throws: Right|
|April 21, 2012 for the Toronto Blue Jays|
(through 2012 season)
|Earned run average||4.60|
Andrew S. "Drew" Hutchison (born August 22, 1990) is a pitcher for the Toronto Blue Jays of Major League Baseball. He was considered one of the Blue Jays top prospects before the start of the 2012 Major League Baseball season.
The Blue Jays purchased the contract of Hutchison from their Double-A affiliate team New Hampshire Fisher Cats on 19 April 2012. He made his first MLB start on 21 April 2012 against the Kansas City Royals in Kansas City, pitching 5 ⅓ innings, and yielding 5 earned runs, with 4 strikeouts and 3 walks in a 9–5 win. After making 11 starts, Hutchison was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right ulnar collateral ligament sprain. Hutchison was later transferred to the 60-day DL. On August 7 it was announced that Hutchison would require Tommy John surgery to repair his injured elbow. Hutchison posted a 5–3 record with a 4.60 ERA over 11 starts in his first professional season.
The Blue Jays placed Hutchison on the 60-day disabled list on March 22, 2013 to make room for Todd Redmond on their 40-man roster. On May 7, 2013, it was reported that Hutchison was on track to return in early August, one year since undergoing surgery. The Blue Jays announced on August 8, 2013, that Hutchison would start for the Triple-A Buffalo Bisons on August 9 as part of his rehab assignment. He was activated from the disabled list on August 10, and optioned to Buffalo.
- Chisholm, Gregor (20 January 2012). "Prospect Hutchison may make another big leap". Toronto: Major League Baseball. Retrieved 2012-04-20.
- Gilbert, Erika (11 June 2009). "Day 2 of Jays' Draft filled with connections". Major League Baseball. Retrieved 2012-04-20.
- Rode, Nathan (19 December 2011). "Baseball America Blue Jays top 2012 prospects". Baseball America. Retrieved 2012-04-20.
- Griffin, Richard (20 April 2012). "Griffin: Blue Jays' off-season failure to land starting pitcher opens door for Hutchison". Toronto Star. Retrieved 2012-04-20.
- Drew Hutchison's injury 'clearly' less serious than Kyle Drabek's: Jays' manager
- Drellich, Evan (August 7, 2012). "Hutchison, McGowan to undergo surgery Thursday". Bluejays.com. Retrieved August 7, 2012.
- "Blue Jays claim Redmond". March 22, 2013. Retrieved March 22, 2013.
- Chisholm, Gregor (May 7, 2013). "Drabek, Hutchison on schedule in recovery". MLB.com. Retrieved May 7, 2013.
- Nicholson-Smith, Ben (August 8, 2013). "Jays' Hutchison to start for Bisons Friday". Sportsnet. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Drew Hutchison on Twitter