Drive By (song)
|Single by Train|
|from the album California 37|
|Released||January 10, 2012|
New York City
Venice, Los Angeles
(Ruby Red Studios)
"Drive By" is a song by American roots rock band, Train, from their sixth studio album, California 37. It was released in the United States as the album's lead single on January 10, 2012. The song was written by lead singer Patrick Monahan and Norwegian songwriting duo Espen Lind, Amund Bjørklund, the same team responsible for Train's 2009 hit single "Hey, Soul Sister". "Drive By" peaked at number 10 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming the band's third top 10 hit in the US. It was awarded a double platinum certification by the RIAA on July 23, 2012, for more than 2 million sales in the US. Internationally, the song became a top ten hit in 13 countries. Train performed the song on television series 90210 in the episode "Blood Is Thicker Than Mud", which aired on March 13, 2012. Train also performed a parody entitled "Five By" with Elmo and Count von Count for an episode of Sesame Street.
Billboard gave the song a positive review stating:
If at first you succeed -- why not try again? For the first single from its forthcoming "California 37," Train returns to the Espionage, the Norwegian songwriting and production duo of Espen Lind and Amund Bjorklund that helped the group put together its 2010 comeback smash "Hey Soul Sister." "Drive By" starts with a staccato guitar strum and a percussive thump that certainly recalls its predecessor, with a slight ethnic flavor that makes it recall a Bar Mitzvah reception. Frontman Pat Monahan semi-speaks the [verses] in tuneful, rap-like cadence, then turns to smooth pop singing for the choruses. The lyric, however, is a bit darker, with Monahan's protagonist trying to convince a one-night-stand that he really wants to "get down to the more-than-friends" at last. We bet she's heard that from all the pop singers, but Monahan pleads with enough joyful exuberance that she -- and we -- might just buy it.
The single has proved to be a worldwide success primarily in the band's home country where it has been certified double platinum and was the 19th most successful song on the Hot 100 chart. In the UK 'Drive By' sold 502,700 copies and was the 23rd best selling single of 2012. It reached #6 in the UK, so it was the first hit in the UK since Drops of Jupiter in 2001.
The music video was posted on YouTube on February 15, 2012.
Monahan is on the phone with his former girlfriend (Linda Croitoru). She scolds him and says that he was the one who left, and tells him she has to get to work before hanging up. Monahan goes to the garage and gets into his blue 1967 Pontiac Firebird. He drives through parts of San Francisco. At an intersection, he is joined by Stafford, who drives a yellow Chevrolet Camaro, and Underwood, who drives a red Ford Mustang. Then the scene shifts to Monahan, Underwood and Stafford performing together under a tree, and Monahan explains how he met his former girlfriend: she works as the tour guide at the winery that Monahan visited. They participated in a three-legged race, crushed grapes and tasted some wine. However, their relationship is merely a one-night stand, as Monahan, after waking up in bed next to her, leaves before she wakes up.
Back to the present, the band arrives at a classic car meeting. Later he leads the whole fleet of classic cars to the same winery where he met his girlfriend. She is on the balcony giving some guests a tour. She sees a procession of cars that are driving up to the winery. The procession is led by Monahan, who stops his car at the front entrance. He gets out and sings the chorus verse of the song "Oh I swear to you, I'll be there for you, this is not a drive-by", and eventually reconciles with her. The final scene shows the two driving in the Firebird while laughing and joking together.
- ;Digital download
- "Drive By" – 3:16
- ;CD single
Credits and personnel
- Recorded at Integrated Studios, New York City and at Ruby Red Studios, Venice, Los Angeles
- Patrick Monahan – songwriter, producer, vocals
- Espen Lind – songwriter, producer, engineer, additional guitars, bass, keyboards and backing vocals, programming
- Amund Bjørklund – songwriter, producer, programming
- Butch Walker – producer
- Mark Endert – mixing
- Francis Murray – engineer
- Jake Sinclair – engineer
- Jimmy Stafford – guitar
- Scott Underwood – drums
- Jerry Becker – keyboards
- Hector Maldonado – bass
Credits adapted from "Drive By" CD single liner notes.
|Australia (ARIA)||2× Platinum||140,000^|
|Austria (IFPI Austria)||Gold||15,000x|
|Canada (Music Canada)||3× Platinum||30,000^|
|Denmark (IFPI Denmark)||Gold||15,000^|
|Italy (FIMI)||2× Platinum||60,000*|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||Platinum||15,000*|
|Sweden (GLF)||3× Platinum||120,000x|
|United States (RIAA)||3× Platinum||3,000,000*|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|United States||10 January 2012||Digital download||Columbia Records, Sony Music|
|Germany||23 March 2012||CD single|
|United Kingdom||16 April 2012||Digital download|
- Zemler, Emily (6 April 2012). "Train Tries To Follow A Massive Hit - Again - on 'California 37'". Billboard. Retrieved 9 April 2012.
- "Gold & Platinum Searchable Database - March 14, 2013". RIAA. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- Gonzalez, Sandra (January 9, 2012). "Train to make musical stop on '90210' -- EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved May 18, 2012.
- SesameStreet (September 19, 2012). Sesame Street: Train - "Five By" (YouTube).
- Train. "Train "Drive By" Sheet Music - Download & Print". Musicnotes.com. Retrieved 2013-09-18.
- "Track Review: Train, 'Drive By'". Billboard. billboard.com/.
- [dead link]
- "The Official Top 40 Biggest Selling Singles Of 2012 revealed!". Officialcharts.com. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- TrainVEVO (February 15, 2012). Train - Drive By (YouTube).
- "Train - Drive By" (in German). Sony Music Entertainment Germany GmbH. Retrieved 9 April 2012.
- Drive By (liner notes). Train. Columbia Records, Sony Music. 2012. 88691975282.
- "Australian-charts.com – Train – Drive By". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Train – Drive By – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Train – Drive By" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Train – Drive By" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Train Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Train.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201217 into search.
- "Danishcharts.com – Train – Drive By". Tracklisten.
- "Train: Drive By" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – Train – Drive By" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ – Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Italiancharts.com – Train – Drive By". Top Digital Download.
- "Luxembourg Digital Songs - April 7, 2012". Billboard. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – week 14, 2012" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40
- "Charts.org.nz – Train – Drive By". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Train – Drive By". VG-lista.
- "Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video". Polish Airplay Top 20. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- "Archive Chart". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201214 into search.
- "South Korea Gaon International Chart (Week: January 08, 2012 to January 14, 2012)". Gaon Chart. December 15, 2012. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Train – Drive By" Canciones Top 50.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Train – Drive By". Singles Top 60.
- "Train – Drive By – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart.
- "Train Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Train.
- "Train Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Alternative Songs for Train.
- "Train Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Train.
- "Train Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Pop Songs for Train.
- "Train Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Rock Songs for Train.
- "Train Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Train.
- "MAHASZ Rádiós TOP 100 2012" (in hungarian). Mahasz. Retrieved 18 January 2013.
- "Top 50 Canciones Anual 2012". Promuiscae.es. Retrieved 2013-01-15.
- "Best of 2012 - Hot 100 Songs". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2012 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Austrian single certifications – Train – Drive By" (in German). IFPI Austria. Enter Train in the field Interpret. Enter Drive By in the field Titel. Select single in the field Format. Click Suchen
- "Canadian single certifications – Train – Drive By". Music Canada.
- "Danish single certifications – Train – Drive By". IFPI Denmark.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Train; 'Drive By')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Italian single certifications – Train – Drive By" (in Italian). Federation of the Italian Music Industry. Select Online in the field Scegli la sezione. Select Week -- and Year ----. Enter Train in the field Artista. Click Avvia la ricerca
- "Single van Train goed voor platina" (in Dutch). NU.nl. October 24, 2012. Retrieved January 18, 2013.
- "New Zealand single certifications – Train – Drive By". Recording Industry Association of New Zealand.
- "Guld- och Platinacertifikat − År 2012" (PDF) (in Swedish). IFPI Sweden.
- "American single certifications – Train – Drive By". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- iTunes - Music - Drive By - Single by Train
- Praxis Media. "Radio1 Rodos Greece ::: UK Forthcoming Singles ::: Charts, DJ Promos, Dance, Lyrics, Free Mp3 Samples Downloads". Radio1.gr. Retrieved 2013-03-14.