|Created by||Peter Price|
|Current status||Online (archives only, no new content)|
Drobe was founded in 1999 by Peter Price. In 2001, Peter handed the site over to Chris Williams as editor. After 10 years, it closed as a news site in 2009. It is retained as an historical archive. A few weeks after the site's closure Williams posted articles on Micro Men, the television drama about the rivalry between Acorn and Sinclair in the 1980s. He subsequently stated that such articles may continue to appear periodically.
At launch, the site featured a news feed, POP email checker and a search facility "incorporating AcornSearch.com". As of 2013[update], the site features archived RISC OS articles, news and other media. It also hosts an online emulator for the BBC Micro, using the Java Runtime Environment.
Registered users were able to apply for user webspace in order to host their own projects. These subsites continue to be hosted by Drobe.
- Williams, Chris (2009-09-20). "Site down". Drobe. Drobe. Retrieved 2011-05-16. "On Monday, September 21, drobe.co.uk will turn 10 years old, marking nearly a decade of online and freely available news publishing for the RISC OS and Acorn kit-using platform. And, for many reasons and after much deliberation, it's time to take a new direction. Drobe's RISC OS news service, which launched in October 1999, will sadly cease from Monday."
- Williams, Chris. "About Drobe". Drobe. Retrieved 2011-05-16. "The site was founded in 1999 by Peter Price, who handed over the reins to Chris Williams in 2001. Hosting and webmaster work is taken care of by Ian Hawkins."
- "Internet portal launched". Acorn User (215). Christmas 1999. p. 10. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- Hoare, John (2009-09-20). "Drobe "closes"". The Icon Bar. One Point Nought. Retrieved 2011-05-16. "[...] longtime RISC OS news and articles website Drobe has closed... or, rather, entered "archive mode"."
- Camen, Kroc (2009-09-21). "Drobe Closes Its Doors After Ten Years". OSnews. OSNews. Retrieved 2011-05-16. "Drobe.co.uk, the premier RISC OS news website, today announced that it has entered archive mode and will no longer function as a news reporting source."
- Chris Williams (September 21, 2009). "Drobe.co.uk turns 10 years old - and takes a new direction". comp.sys.acorn.announce. Web link. Retrieved May 16, 2011.
- Williams, Chris (2009-10-09). "Message board". Drobe. Drobe. Retrieved 2011-05-27. "I don't mind doing the odd special feature from time to time, when the right opportunity arises, but I just can't find the time or energy to do day-today RISC OS news, sorry.."
- BBC Micro emulator
- File archives (mirrors of popular FTP sites, etc.)
- Reference material (various RISC OS/Acorn hardware)
Selected user sites
- stoppers.drobe.co.uk (ROLF (software), the RISC OS look and feel on Linux)