Droid Razr M
|Compatible networks||3G UMTS/HSPA+
4G LTE (LTE not avaliable on RAZR i due to the modem lacking LTE)
|Dimensions||4.82×2.39×0.33 in (122×61×8.4 mm)|
|Weight||4.44 oz (126 g)|
|Operating system||Android 4.1|
|SoC||Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 MSM8960 Intel Atom Z2460 Razr i|
|Memory||1 GB RAM|
|Storage||8 GB flash memory|
|Removable storage||microSD supports up to 32 GB|
|Front camera||1.3 megapixels|
|Other||Gorilla Glass 2|
The lower-end Droid Razr M was announced alongside the Droid Razr HD and Razr Maxx HD on 5 September 2012. The Razr HD and M models ship with Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). They will be upgradable to Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean). The Jelly Bean-upgrade for the Razr M has started rolling out on Nov 9, 2012.
A Developer Edition will be sold, which will have an unlocked bootloader.
The RAZR i (XT890) is an almost identical edition except it has an Intel Atom Z2460 processor. This means it has more processing power and imaging power; however, it lacks LTE support. It does not fully support many high-end apps and games designed for ARM processors until these apps or games are ported and recompiled for Intel compatibility. However, because this is one of the only (if not the only) device using a x86 processor instead of an ARM processor, developers might not bother porting their applications unless there is more of a market for them.
The GPU in the RAZR i's Intel Atom Z2460 processor is a PowerVR SGX540, a faster-clocked version of the same GPU as in the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and many older smartphones such as the original Samsung Galaxy S. While the RAZR i's raw CPU processing power can be excellent for tasks such as web browsing, its GPU can be considerably slower than the RAZR M, which uses a Snapdragon S4 CPU featuring an Adreno 225 GPU. This may be alleviated somewhat by the Atom Z2460 being capable of providing much greater memory bandwidth, which has traditionally been a severe performance-constraining factor in ARM-based chips.
- "DROID RAZR M by Motorola Fact Sheet". Motorola. Sept. 05, 2012.
- Laptopmag.com (5 September 2012). "Motorola launches new Razr smartphones". Fox News. Retrieved 6 September 2012.
- droid-life.com (9 November 2012). "Verizon Approves Jelly Bean Update 98.12.4 for DROID RAZR M, Starts Rolling Out Today". Droid Life. Retrieved 10 November 2012.
- "The worlds first 2Ghz Phone". TalkWorld. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- "Motorola RAZR i Fact Sheet". Motorola.
- Shimpi, Anand Lal. "Motorola Hits 2GHz with Intel Powered RAZR i". AnandTech. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- Bader, Daniel. "Motorola and Intel launch the RAZR i with 2Ghz Medfield processor". MobileSyrup. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- Lal Shimpi, Anand. "Intel's Medfield & Atom Z2460 Arrive for Smartphones: It's Finally Here". AnandTech. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Smith, Van. "The Coming War: ARM versus x86". Bright Side of News. Retrieved 30 September 2012.