Drop It Like It's Hot
|"Drop It Like It's Hot"|
|Single by Snoop Dogg featuring Pharrell|
|from the album R&G (Rhythm & Gangsta): The Masterpiece|
|B-side||"Get 2 Know U"|
|Released||September 12, 2004|
|Format||12" single, CD single|
|Label||Doggystyle, Star Trak, Geffen|
|Writer(s)||Chad Hugo, Calvin Broadus, Pharrell Williams, Tim Stahl, John Guldberg|
|Certification||2x Platinum (RIAA)
Gold (ARIA, RIANZ)
|Snoop Dogg singles chronology|
"Drop It Like It's Hot" is a single by American rapper Snoop Dogg featuring American singer and producer Pharrell. Snoop Dogg performs the chorus and the second and third verses (of three), while Pharrell performs the first verse. Pharrell's verse includes a line from "Raspy Shit" (a song from his debut album In My Mind), which was produced by The Neptunes and contains vocal samples from Laid Back's "White Horse". Part of "White Horse"'s production is sampled in "Drop It Like It's Hot" as well.
The song topped the US Billboard Hot 100 for three weeks from December 11, 2004, making it Snoop Dogg's first number one on the chart. It was also his first Top 10 as a solo artist since 1994's "Gin and Juice". The song also gave him his first number one on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. It also peaked at number one for four consecutive weeks in New Zealand, and number ten in the UK Singles Chart. It gained some critical attention for its very sparse production, which is essentially just tongue clicks, keyboards and a drum machine beat which, compared to much early 2000s rap, was very minimalist. It was nominated at the Grammy Awards of 2005 for Best Rap Song and Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group, though it lost both awards to the songs "Jesus Walks" and "Let's Get It Started", respectively. The single was Pharrell's biggest hit worldwide, until 2013's "Get Lucky" and "Blurred Lines" (his highest peaking single as lead artist is "Happy").
On December 11, 2009, "Drop It Like It's Hot" was named the most popular "Rap Song" of the decade by Billboard.
Origin of title
The phrase "drop it like it's hot" was already in common use before the song was released, and had been used in various songs since the 1990s. It is a metaphorical description of a dance move commonly performed by women, and is performed by various women throughout the music video. It was used in Positive K's 1992 album The Skills Dat Pay Da Bills, in the song "Ain't No Crime." It was also used by Lil Wayne as a guest rapper on Juvenile's 1999 hit single "Back That Azz Up" from his album 400 Degreez. Lil' Wayne also has a song called "Drop It Like It's Hot" from his 1999 debut album Tha Block is Hot, which was released a year later. Jay-Z said "drop it like it's hot" in the song "Cashmere Thoughts" off his 1996 album, Reasonable Doubt. Drake's song "Practice" has been used by Young Money's parent label, Cash Money's former rap artist Juvenile featuring spin-off labelmate Lil Wayne of the same name which was released from Take Care in 2011.
The line was also spoken in the 2000 film Big Momma's House.
The music video of the single was shot in black-and-white. It was directed by Paul Hunter. It shows Snoop Dogg doing the dance step known as the Crip Walk in the very beginning and end. The video included both of Snoop Dogg's sons, Corde and Cordell. Other appearances in the video include Terry Kennedy, Lauren London and Pharrell Williams' fellow Neptunes member Chad Hugo.
There are two radio edits for the song: one is a standard radio edit that removes profanities and drug references while the other is an "Extra Clean" edit that removes phrases with gun and gang references (and the word "roll" from the chorus) as well.
- The official remix features new verses from Snoop Dogg, Pharrell Williams, and a verse from Jay-Z dissing R. Kelly for suing him, which appeared on the bonus CD of the Boss'n Up DVD. MTV
- DJ and Drum and Bass producer Roni Size performed a remix with Dynamite MC on BBC Radio 1's Live Lounge on the 10th of January, 2005.
- Glitch-hop producer Edit also created an unofficial, unreleased remix, which can be found on various mixtapes. 
- Lil Wayne released a remix of the song, titled "Nah This Ain't the Remix", on his mixtape The Dedication. He takes shots at Snoop Dogg for using his line, with lines like "don't touch my shit nigga" and "I rock a red flag..". However, he claimed that he wasn't mad, saying in the song, "When I first heard this I got a little upset but then I thought to myself, what haven't I done yet?" and later, "Nah, I ain't hatin', don't get me wrong, I made it a hot line, you made it a hot song. Peace." It can be taken as a reference to Jay-Z's song dissing Nas "Takeover" in which Jay-Z says: "I sampled your voice, you was usin' it wrong, you made it a hot line, I made it a hot song."
- Mashup artist Party Ben mashed "Drop It Like It's Hot" with the Led Zeppelin song "Whole Lotta Love".
- dj BC mashed up the song with Nu Shooz's I Can't Wait.
- Jamie Foxx's hit "Blame It" (featuring T-Pain) sampled the song with cameo appearance by Snoop Dogg at the 2009 BET Awards.
- MADtv did a parody music video of "Drop It Like It's Hot" called "Smokin' Too Much Pot." (The real song also contains references to marijuana.)
- A remix of the song uses a new sample of the Gap Band song "Outstanding". The remix features E-40, Killer Mike, Warren G and Jadakiss.
- British comedian Lenny Henry performed an elaborate parody of the song, complete with a music video closely mimicking that of the original, on the second episode of his 2005 comedy series, The Lenny Henry Show.
- "Weird Al" Yankovic included a few lines from the song in "Polkarama!", a medley of popular songs set to polka music on his 2006 release Straight Outta Lynwood.
- Carlos Mencia parodied rappers who went to jail in his new rap video on Mind of Mencia. He parodied Snoop's "Drop It Like It's Hot", DMX's "Ruff Ryders Anthem" and Mystikal's "Shake It Fast".
- Bulgarian comedy rappers DJ Damian & Dinamit parodied the video of Drop It Like It's Hot and Fat Joe's song Lean Back (Remix) (produced by Lil Jon) in their song "Kachak" (Къчак) satirizing the lifestyle of the gypsies of Bulgaria.
- The music video was parodied by country group Hot Apple Pie for their 2005 video "Hillbillies".
- Snoop Dogg recently adapted the song to "Pocket like it's Hot" in an advertising campaign for Hot Pockets
- The song was covered by the German band The BossHoss on their 2007 release 'Stallion Battalion'.
- Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake covered the song in a "History of Rap" skit.
- The song was covered by German singer Lena Meyer-Landrut.
- The song appears in the game Dance Central for Kinect on the Xbox 360, in a commercial for the soft drink Sun Drop, and the 2013 animated film Turbo and its soundtrack (using the clean radio version)
- The song was featured on the NBA 2K15 soundtrack.
- The song was featured in The Wire, Season 3, Episode 12, "Mission Accomplished"
- List of number-one singles from the 2000s (New Zealand)#2005
- List of Hot 100 number-one singles of 2004 (U.S.)
- List of number-one R&B singles of 2004 (U.S.)
- [dead link]
- Music Video Database Music video database. Accessed October 25, 2007.
- "Australian-charts.com – SNOOP DOGG FEAT. PHARRELL – DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – SNOOP DOGG FEAT. PHARRELL – DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – SNOOP DOGG FEAT. PHARRELL – DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – SNOOP DOGG FEAT. PHARRELL – DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Danishcharts.com – SNOOP DOGG FEAT. PHARRELL – DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT". Tracklisten.
- "SNOOP DOGG FEAT. PHARRELL: DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – SNOOP DOGG FEAT. PHARRELL – DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Italiancharts.com – SNOOP DOGG FEAT. PHARRELL – DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT". Top Digital Download.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – SNOOP DOGG FEAT. PHARRELL – DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – SNOOP DOGG FEAT. PHARRELL – DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – SNOOP DOGG FEAT. PHARRELL – DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT". VG-lista.
- Romanian peak
- "Swedishcharts.com – SNOOP DOGG FEAT. PHARRELL – DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT". Singles Top 60.
- "Swisscharts.com – SNOOP DOGG FEAT. PHARRELL – DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "SNOOP DOGG FEATURING PHARRELL: Artist Chart History" UK Singles Chart.
- "The Billboard Hot 100 Singles & Tracks - Decade Year End Charts". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved February 10, 2011.
- "American single certifications – Snoop Dogg – Drop It Like It's Hot". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
USSaleswas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
Cite error: The named reference