||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for music. (January 2014)|
Drowners performing at Coachella in 2014
|Origin||NYC, United States|
|Genres||alternative rock, indie rock, post-punk revival|
Erik Lee Snyder
Drowners are an American-Welsh indie rock band formed in New York in 2011 by Matthew Hitt (lead vocals, guitar), Jack Ridley III (lead guitar), Erik Lee Snyder (bass) and Joe Brodie (drums). Their first release was the EP Between Us Girls which appeared in early 2013. In January 2014 their debut album "Drowners" was released worldwide. The first single is "Luv, hold me down" The band has toured both North America and Europe.
The band was formed when Welsh-born Matthew Hitt moved to New York in 2011 to pursue a career in modelling. With a degree in English Literature, he found time to "write and jam on my guitar every day". He recruited three musicians and began rehearsing and recording the songs. Guitarist Jack Ridley is originally from the North West of the US while bass player Erik Snyder grew up outside Philadelphia. On February 4, 2013, Drowners released their first EP “Between Us Girls” on the English label Birthday Records. The EP contains three short songs, which included “Long Hair” - oft cited as the lead track.
The band signed with a Frenchkiss Records, and began to record their first studio album in May 2013. The album was produced by Gus Oberg and Johnny T, while recording took place over a three week period.
The band headed to Europe for the first time in February 2014 in support of their album, to perform a small number of London shows (including an in-store performance at Rough Trade East), and were main support for Cage The Elephant on their European tour and main support for SKATERS on their UK tour. At this stage, the original drummer of the band quit and they enlisted Joe Brodie from Hull to fill in, he since has become a permanent fixture.
The band opened shows for Arctic Monkeys, The Vaccines and Foals while undertaking their first headlining tour of North America and Europe in February/March 2014. They continue to tour and performed at the Coachella festival and played support to Temples.
- Between Us Girls: 4 February 2013, Birthday Records
- "Clash Interview" Joe Zadeh, 'OTW #487: Drowners Revamped Brit Pop Garage', Clash Magazine, March 20, 2013.
- "The Drowners". last.fm. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- Campion, Freddie. "Band of the Week:". vogue.com. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- darwin, liza. "band crush: drowners". nylonmag.com. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- Lester, Paul. "New Band of the Day". theguardian.com. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- Gill, LaToya (April 15, 2014). "Conversations with… Drowners (Part 1)". Rooms Magazine. Retrieved August 10, 2014.
- Tout, Alicia (May 29, 2014). "Gimme Your Answers: An Interview w/ Drowners". A Music Blog, Yea?.
- "Gig Review" Marco Zande, 'Gig Review: SKATERS + Drowners at Dingwalls', Invasion Mag, March 16, 2014.
- "2014 tour" SongKick 2014 tour listings