Droylsden Metrolink station
Droylsden Metrolink station in February 2013
Location of Droylsden in Greater Manchester
|Platforms||2 (1 island)|
|Fare zone information|
|Present status||In operation|
|Opened||9 February 2013 (preview)
11 February 2013 (full)
|UK Trams portal|
Droylsden Metrolink station is a tram stop on the East Manchester Line (EML) of Greater Manchester's light-rail Metrolink system. It opened on 11 February 2013, after a three-day free trial for local residents. The station was constructed as part of Phase 3a of the Metrolink's expansion, and is located in Droylsden town centre, a part of Tameside, England.
Trams run along the East Manchester line westbound towards Manchester Piccadilly station before continuing through Manchester city centre towards Bury, whilst since October 2013, eastbound trams head towards Ashton-under-Lyne. Trams run every 12 minutes at peak times; at off-peak times, the service is reduced to every 15 minutes.
Before the station opened, there was much controversy surrounding the development of the Metrolink line, with many Droylsden residents complaining about the disruption to traffic and local businesses. It is mainly due to these concerns that a three-day free trial service was run for local residents.
Connecting bus routes
Droylsden station is directly served by a number of services, which stop on Ashton Road or Market Street.
On Ashton Road, Stagecoach Manchester bus service 216 replicates the tram route between Piccadilly Gardens and Droylsden before continuing to Ashton-under-Lyne. Stagecoach/JPT services 217 and 218, which also stops on Ashton Road, run circular routes between Manchester and Mossley serving Droylsden, Dukinfield, Ashton, Tameside General Hospital and Stalybridge.
On Market Street, Stagecoach service 7 (which also stops on Ashton Road), runs between Ashton and Stockport via Gorton and Reddish, while Stagecoach/First service 168 runs between Ashton and Chorlton via Levenshulme and Stagecoach/JPT service 169 runs between Ashton and Southern Cemetery via Levenshulme.
- "It's the final countdown". Transport for Greater Manchester. 1 February 2013. Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- Kirby, Dean (4 December 2012). "Opening of Metrolink tram service to Droylsden delayed until February 2013". Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Droylsden’s new Metrolink line to open in February". Transport for Greater Manchester. 7 December 2012. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Metrolink - Droylsden station". Transport for Greater Manchester. Retrieved 26 June 2011.
- "Twitter / TamesideCouncil: CllrRobinson announces that...". Tameside Council. Twitter. 10 September 2013. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- "Metrolink - East Manchester line". Transport for Greater Manchester. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- "Metrolink Pocket Guide Droylsden". Metrolink. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- "Metrolink - Tram Times - Droylsden". Metrolink. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- Rowley, Tom (2 February 2012). "Droylsden traders angry as ‘faulty’ work extends Metrolink tram misery". Tameside Advertiser. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Transport for Greater Manchester - Journey Planning - Network Maps". Transport for Greater Manchester. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Droylsden Metrolink station.|
|Preceding station||Manchester Metrolink||Following station|
|Eccles – Ashton-under-Lyne Line||
|Bury – Ashton-under-Lyne Line||