Druid Hills Baptist Church
Druid Hills Baptist Church is a Baptist church, founded in July 1914 and located at 1085 Ponce de Leon Ave NE at the corner of Highland Avenue in the Poncey-Highland neighborhood in the city of Atlanta. Designed by architect Edward Bennett Dougherty (b. 1876), the Beaux-Arts Style building is remarkable for its massive columns and the orb-shaped designs woodwork surrounding the baptistery.
The first meeting of the church in 1914 was at the corner of Highland and Greenwood Avenues in Highland Park subdivision of what is now Virginia-Highland. While there, they used the facilities of the now defunct Highland Park Baptist Church. In 1918 the congregation acquired the land for the present day church at the corner of Highland and Ponce. The building was inaugurated in 1928 and in July 2014 the church celebrated its centennial year in that very building.
- Dr. Fernando Coello McConnell, 1914-1929
- Louie De Votie Newton,
- Dr. Harold Deaton Zwald, 1969-1976
- Dr. William Robert Defoor, 1976-1979
- Dr. Paul Mims, 1979-1990
- Dr. John David Baker, 1997-1998
- Rev. Jonathan Bud Spencer, 1998-2007
- Dr. Graham B. Walker, Co-Pastor; 2008-2010
- Rev. Mimi Walker, Co-Pastor; 2008-2010
- Rev. Mimi Walker, 2010–Present
- AIA Guide to the Architecture of Atlanta, p. 357
- Atlanta's Druid Hills: A Brief History, p. 57
- Atlanta and Environs: A Chronicle of Its People and Events, 1880s-1930s, Franklin M. Garrett, p. 647
- Virginia-Highland, Karri Hobson-Pape, Lola Carlisle, p.64
- Atlanta's Ponce De Leon Avenue: A History, Sharon Foster Jones, p.560
- Shaw, Harry & Jeanne (1987). They Continued Steadfastly. Atlanta, Georgia: Druid Hills Baptsit Church. pp. 29,117, 142, 159.