Drunk on a Plane
|"Drunk on a Plane"|
|Single by Dierks Bentley|
|from the album Riser|
|Released||April 21, 2014|
|Dierks Bentley singles chronology|
"Drunk on a Plane" is a song co-written and recorded by American country music singer-songwriter Dierks Bentley. It was released in April 2014 as the third single from his seventh studio album Riser. The song has been certified Platinum by the RIAA.
"Drunk on a Plane" is an up-tempo song about a man who is left behind at the altar and takes a trip to Cancún by himself after he is unable to obtain a refund for the airplane tickets he had purchased for a honeymoon. While on the airplane, the narrator drinks heavily, becoming intoxicated and parties with the other passengers. Bentley told Country Standard Time, "It's a fun song, but when you really listen, there's also an underlying lonesomeness, which is what makes it different than a lot of the other uptempo songs I've put out."
Bob Paxman of Country Weekly rated the song "A", saying, "The song has a particular smartness about it, which sets this apart from the sundry drinking songs that inundate our space…'Drunk on a Plane' captures a sky-high party atmosphere while giving off a melancholy feel at the same time, a difficult maneuver that's pulled off nicely."
Aside from receiving strong critical acclaim, "Drunk on a Plane" is a commercial success as well. The song is Bentley's 18th career single to peak in the top 10 on Billboard's Hot Country Songs or Country Airplay chart. In August 2014, it hit number one on Country Airplay. Peaking at number 27 on the Billboard Hot 100, it is Bentley's second highest peaking song on the chart, only behind his debut single, What Was I Thinkin', which peaked at number 22. The song was certified Platinum by the RIAA on September 26, 2014. It reached its million sales mark in the United States in October 2014. The song has sold 1,190,000 copies in the US as of January 2015.
In the music video, Bentley plays both himself and an airline pilot. According to Country Weekly, "musician Dierks (who is a real-life pilot) has to save the day when the craft is plummeting toward the ground." Wes Edwards directed the video.
Charts and certifications
"I Don't Dance"
by Lee Brice
|Billboard Country Airplay
August 30–September 6, 2014
by Lady Antebellum
- "American single certifications – Dierks Bentley – Drunk on a Plane". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- Paxman, Bob (2 June 2014). "Dierks Bentley — 'Drunk on a Plane'". Country Weekly 21 (22): 66. ISSN 1074-3235.
- "Bentley gets "Drunk on a Plane"". Country Standard Time. 7 April 2014. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- Paul Grein (October 1, 2014). "Chart Watch: Women Tie All-Time Record". Yahoo! Music.
- Matt Bjorke (January 16, 2015). "Country Music’s Top 30 Digital Singles: Week of January 16, 2015". Roughstock. Sales figure given here
- "Dierks Bentley Saves the Day in "Drunk on a Plane" Video". Country Weekly. 12 May 2014. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "'Drunk on a Plane' video". Country Music Television. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Dierks Bentley, Keith Urban + Miranda Lambert Are Early 2014 CMA Awards Winners". Taste of Country. November 5, 2014. Retrieved November 5, 2014.
- "Dierks Bentley Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Dierks Bentley.
- "Dierks Bentley Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Canada Country for Dierks Bentley.
- "Dierks Bentley Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Dierks Bentley.
- "Dierks Bentley Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Country Airplay for Dierks Bentley.
- "Dierks Bentley Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Dierks Bentley.
- "Best of 2014: Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "Best of 2014: Hot 100 Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "Best of 2014: Country Airplay". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- "Best of 2014: Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.