The Dubai Mall
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (August 2013)|
The shopping mall's interior
United Arab Emirates
|Opening date||4 November 2008|
|Management||Emaar Malls Group|
|Architect||DP Architects Pte Ltd.|
|No. of stores and services||1,200+|
|No. of anchor tenants||2|
|Total retail floor area||502,000 square metres (5,400,000 sq ft)|
|No. of floors||4|
The Dubai Mall is the world's largest shopping mall based on total area and sixth largest by gross leasable area. Located in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, it is part of the 20-billion-dollar Downtown Dubai complex, and includes 1,200 shops. Access to the mall is provided via Doha Street, rebuilt as a double-decker road in April 2009.
Twice delayed, Dubai Mall opened on 4 November 2008, with about 635 retailers, marking the world's largest-ever mall opening in retail history. However it is not the largest in gross leasable space, and is surpassed in that category by several malls including the South China Mall, which is the world's largest, Golden Resources Mall, SM City North Edsa, and SM Mall of Asia.
The Dubai Mall recorded 60,000 tickets sold for the Dubai Aquarium and Discovery Centre in the first five days, following its opening. The Dubai Mall hosted over 37 million visitors in 2009, and attracts more than 750,000 visitors every week. while in 2010 it hosted 47 million, and saw footfall increase by around 27 percent over 2009, despite the economic crisis.In 2012, Dubai Mall continued to hold title of world's most-visited shopping and leisure destination, and attracted more than 65 million visitors, an increase of more than 20 percent compared to the 54 million recorded in 2011. It attracted more visitors than New York City with over 52 million tourists in 2012, and Los Angeles with 41 million. The numbers also surpass visitor arrivals to all landmark leisure destinations and theme parks in the world including Times Square (39.2 million), Central Park (38 million), and Niagara Falls (22.5 million).
Over 12 million sq foot (equivalent in size to more than 50 football pitches), the Dubai Mall has a total internal floor area of 5.9 million square feet (55 ha) and leasable space of 3.77 million square feet (35 ha), about the same as the West Edmonton Mall.
It also has a 250-room luxury hotel, 22 cinema screens plus 120 restaurants and cafes. The Mall has over 14,000 parking spaces across 3 car parks, with valet services and a car locator ticketing system. The mall has won five awards - two awards at the Retail Future Project Awards at Mapic, Cannes, in 2004, for Best Retail Development Scheme (Large) and Best Use of Lighting in a Retail Environment and the Dubai Mall brochure collected three awards at the Summit Creative Awards 2005 in Portland, Oregon - the Gold award for Best Art Direction / Graphic Design, Silver award for Best 4-colour B2B Brochure, and a Judges Special Recognition award.
Dubai Aquarium and Under Water Zoo
The Mall's Dubai Aquarium and Discovery Centre, developed and operated by Oceanis Australia Group, officially earned the Guinness World Record for the world's "Largest Acrylic Panel" (32.88 m wide × 8.3 m high × 750 mm thick and weighing 245,614 kg). The acrylic viewing panel is larger than Japan's Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium (22.5 m wide × 8.2 m high and 600 mm thick). Its 750 mm thick acrylic viewing panel can withstand pressure of 10 million litres of water used in the aquarium, but its transparency gives visitors clear views of over 33,000 marine animals on display. In February 2010, a leak in the aquarium caused a partial evacuation and brief shutdown of a portion of the mall.
Dubai Ice Rink
The Mall's Dubai Ice Rink multi-purpose venue, uses refrigeration plant technology by developing 1.5 inches (38 mm) of ice bed, 2 times the thickness of an NHL ice rink for Olympic-sized attraction. Dubai Ice Rink can host a capacity of up to 2,000 guests, when converted into a multi-functional hall with a multimedia system including a 20 m × 10 m LED screen. Operations Manager, Richard Rowlands, a 7 years Welsh figure skating pairs champion, described it: "Dubai Ice Rink in itself is an exciting facility, bringing the first-ever Olympic-sized ice rink to Dubai. A top-class facility offering the best of, including over 1,800 pairs of skates imported from a leading manufacturer in Italy to fit children and adults of all ages and sizes, the Dubai Ice Rink will host themed nights, Learn-to-Skate programs, figure skating lessons and hockey matches. The advanced technology used at the Dubai Ice Rink ensures that the consistency of the ice-bed is maintained at all times. By incorporating the refrigerator technology of pushing in glycol through a network of pipes, and monitoring the cooling over a period of five to six days, the 38 mm ice-bed is tailored to withstand multiple activities in a safe environment."
SEGA Republic, a 76,000 sq ft (7,100 m2) indoor theme park, was opened on 21 August 2009. Visitors can enjoy over 150 amusement games; The Redemption Zone hosts one of the region's largest selection of redemption games as well as a huge selection of winnable merchandise for all ages. It is a park that is mainly dedicated to SEGA's icon Sonic the Hedgehog. The entrance to Sega Republic is located on the second floor of The Dubai Mall.
The Reel Cinemas opened on 14 August 2009 on the second floor of Dubai Mall. Reel Cinema is a 22 screen megaplex with more than 2,800 seats. All screens are currently open. It is the largest cinema in the region. More than 10,000 visitors visited the cineplex in its opening week. It is operated by Reel Entertainment LLC, a joint venture formed by Emaar Retail LLC and Singapore-based entertainment provider Cathay Organisation Holdings Ltd to develop cinemas across the Middle East. The flagship 22-screen Reel Cinemas at The Dubai Mall is the first megaplex developed and operated by the venture, and will soon be followed by the 6-screen Reel Cinemas at Dubai Marina Mall. The Reel Cinemas is located on the 2nd level of the mall. Of the 22 screens present, there are both 2D and 3D screens available. A new movie starts at the Reel Cinemas every 10 minutes. 
The mall was built by a joint venture of Dutco Balfour Beatty, Al Ghandi/CCC and Turner Construction for Emaar Properties and was scheduled to be completed in 2006, claiming to be the size of 50 "international-sized football (soccer) pitches". Most of the workers used in construction of the mall were Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi and Sri Lankan guest workers. The internal mobile phone coverage for Dubai Mall was commissioned, integrated and carried out by Motorola Dubai for Etisalat and du. Multimedia and acoustic design is by Shen Milsom & Wilke, London . Gulf precast was in charge of the precast job on the outside.
World records and achievements
- Largest mall in the world with total area 1,124,000m2.
- Worlds sixth largest mall with Gross Leasable Area (GLA) 350,000m2.
- World’s largest acrylic panel (Aquarium) inside Dubai Mall, which is (32.88 m wide × 8.3 m high × 750 mm thick and weighing 245 tons).
- World’s largest sweet shop "Candylicious" spanning over 10,000 sq ft (930 m2) inside Dubai Mall.
- Dubai Mall records more than 5 million visitors in the month of March,2010 during the one-month Dubai Shopping Festival, setting an all-time record in visitor footfall
- Dubai Mall has been named the best shopping experience on 29 April 2010 by Grazia Style Awards.
- The Dubai Mall hosted a record 37 million visitors in its first year of operation in 2009, and attracts more than 750,000 visitors every week.
- The Dubai Mall hosted a record 47 million visitors in 2010, and broke the record of 37 million visitors received last year, an increase of 27 percent despite the economic crisis.
- In 2011, Dubai Mall becomes the world's most-visited shopping and leisure destination, and attracted more than 54 million visitors, an increase of 15 percent from the visitors of last year.
- In 2012, Dubai Mall continued to hold title of world's most-visited shopping and leisure destination, and attracted more than 65 million visitors, an increase of more than 20 percent compared to the 54 million recorded in 2011. It attracted more visitors than New York City with over 52 million tourists in 2012, and Los Angeles with 41 million.
Incidents and accidents
- On 25 February 2010 the aquarium sprung a leak which led many shops to temporarily close down and forced shoppers to evacuate the mall. It reopened the following day. 
- Dubai Fountain
- List of shopping malls in Dubai
- List of the world's largest shopping malls
- Mall of Arabia (Dubai)
- The Dubai MallEmaar
- gulfnews.com, Dubai Mall: A milestone harks back to humble origins
- Lonsway, Brian. "Mall: Very Large. Center of Now. Fast." In The Dubai Mall. Singapore: DP Architects 2012.
- Ahmed, Ashfaq (19 April 2009). "Double-decker roads will be open by month's end". Gulf News. p. 2. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- Dubai Mall visitors hit 60,000 | 2008 | AMEinfo.com
- The Dubai Mall crosses landmark 30 million visitors » The Dubai Mall
- Stefania Bianchi (25 February 2010). "Leak at Dubai Mall Aquarium Forces Evacuation". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 25 February 2010.
- [dead link]
- Emaar's Dubai Mall posts 27% rise in footfall in 2010 - Retail - ArabianBusiness.com
- Dubai Mall claims world visitors record - The National
- Dubai Mall set for August 28 opening | GulfNews.com
- tradearabia.co, The Dubai Mall opens with 600 retailers
- The Dubai Mall, Emaar, retrieved 12 March 2006
- ameinfo.com, Dubai Mall aquarium breaks world record
- www.albawaba.com, Dubai Aquarium & Discovery Centre Sets Guinness Record for 'World's Largest Acrylic Panel' at The Dubai Mall
- zawya.com, Aquarium at The Dubai Mall scoops world record
- arabianbusiness.com, Ice skating in the sun and sand
- www.ibtimes.com, The Dubai Mall Opens With Largest Number of Retailers in the World's Largest-Ever Mall Opening
- SEGA Republic » The Dubai Mall
- Sega Republic indoor theme park opens its gates at The Dubai Mall | Emaar Malls | AMEinfo.com
- More than 10,000 visit Dubai Mall cineplex in first week - Retail - ArabianBusiness.com
- "Cinema At Dubai Mall". yagulf.com.
- World's largest candy store opens in Dubai.
- Balfour Beatty Website: Burj Dubai Mall
- Top 10 construction world record holders | ConstructionWeekOnline.com
- Dubai Aquarium & Discovery Centre sets Guinness Record for the ‘World’s Largest Acrylic Panel’ at The Dubai Mall » The Dubai Mall
- World's biggest sweet shop opens in Dubai - Odd News | newslite.tv
- Dubai Mall smashes record with 5 million visitors | HotelierMiddleEast.com
- Dubai Mall named best shopping experience - Retail - ArabianBusiness.com
- Aquarium leak hits Dubai Mall
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dubai Mall.|
- The Dubai Mall - Official website
- The Dubai Mall: The Largest Mall in the World - A Complete Dubai Mall Review
- The Dubai Mall, Profile
- Dubai Mall Information
- Dubai Mall video
- SMD Interiors for retail stores in Dubai