||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013)|
|"Dubfire" (Ali Shirazinia)|
|Also known as||Dubfire|
|Born||April 19, 1971|
|Years active||1991 – Present|
|Labels||Sci+Tec Digital Audio
Deep Dish Records
|Associated acts||Deep Dish|
|Members||Ali "Dubfire" Shirazinia|
Ali Shirazinia, commonly known by his stage name Dubfire, is an Iranian American house and techno DJ and producer. Prior to his solo career, Dubfire was one-half of the four-time nominated and Grammy Award-winning duo Deep Dish. Dubfire's style is noticeably different than that of Deep Dish, consisting of techno instead of progressive house.
During his youth he listened to mostly classic Hip-Hop, jazz/rare groove, dub reggae, new wave and industrial and was also influenced by the local punk scene and the music of Washington DC-based bands including Fugazi and Minor Threat. Shirazinia frequented a local record store called Yesterday And Today Records, where he became acquainted with the sounds of artists like Kraftwerk, Ministry, Jesus & Mary Chain, Depeche Mode, Nitzer Ebb, Adrian Sherwood of On-U Sound and Einstürzende Neubauten.
In 1991, Shirazinia and fellow DC resident Sharam Tayebi formed Deep Dish, a DJ and production duo that became notable for their productions and DJ sets. Deep Dish released acclaimed dance classics beginning with the 1995 remix of De'Lacy 'Hideaway,' and went on to work with an eclectic array of names in pop, rock and electronica. Shirazinia and Tayebi established Deep Dish Records, and they went on to win a Grammy in 2002 for their remix of Dido's "Thank You" along with many other high-profile awards. Following their successes as Deep Dish, both Shirazinia and Tayebi began to produce and DJ individually.
Shirazinia used his long-time stage name "Dubfire" for his solo productions. Shirazinia's solo sound differs noticeably from that of Deep Dish, consisting of minimal, techno, and house instead of the predominantly progressive house sound of Deep Dish. His production I Feel Speed, which is a cover of an obscure Love & Rockets song, features his own vocals. The track symbolically and sonically marked a crossroads in Shirazinia's music career, fusing Deep Dish's vocal-driven progressive house with darker, edgier sounds. Shirazinia also sings in In Love With a Friend on Deep Dish's debut album. I Feel Speed has appeared in the advertisement of the Volkswagen Eos.
In 2007, Shirazinia announced the launch of his new record label, Science + Technology Digital Audio, also known simply as SCI + TEC. He set the label up as an outlet to release his new music and began quietly unleashing a string of remarkable tracks. 2007's electro-tech track 'Roadkill' edged Dubfire ever closer to a techno sensibility, while the stripped-back 'RibCage' became the first ever release on Loco Dice's heralded Desolat label, becoming an instant classic.
Dubfire followed up with an onslaught of dancefloor-igniting releases, landing on some of electronic music's leading labels. Richie Hawtin, who signed Dubfire's 'Emissions' to his highly respected Minus label, also released Dubfire's rework of 'Spastik' (the classic track that Hawtin produced in 1993 under his Plastikman alias) as an official re-work. Soon thereafter, Sven Vath's Cocoon Records took notice and released some of Dubfire's music, cementing his extraordinary reinvention.
With each release, Dubfire's profile soared higher. Two top 10 tracks in Resident Advisor's 100 Most Charted Records of 2007, IDJ Magazine's Player of the Year in 2008, nominations for Beatport's Best Minimal Artist and Best Techno Artist in 2008 and 2009, covers on countless music magazines, mixes for Mixmag, BBC Radio 1's Essential Mix, and DJ Magazine - the accolades and achievements came thick and fast.
In 2009, Dubfire produced a remix on Danton Eeprom and Radio Slave's 'Grindhouse' which encapsulated everything that Dubfire stands for today: dark rhythms, superior audio, and technological brilliance. It crossed nearly every genre and was the apex of a unique sound that DJ Magazine called "jet-black, polished chrome techno." Groove and Raveline Magazine named it the Best Remix of the Year.
Dubfire's recent work has seen him co-produce tracks with celebrated British electronic music act Underworld, release a two-disc compilation with Loco Dice for Cocoon, additional remixes of Plastikman material, and a collaborative project with respected producer Oliver Huntemann. Throughout his remarkable journey, Dubfire's SCI+TEC label has continued to grow and is now home to a roster of globally based artists.
- 2007 Emissions - #6 Resident Advisor Top 100 all-time charted tracks
- 2007 RibCage - #1 Resident Advisor Top 100 all-time charted tracks
- 2007 Roadkill
- 2007 I Feel Speed
- 2008 Diablo (With Oliver Huntemann)
- 2008 Dios (With Oliver Huntemann)
- 2009 Rabid
- 2009 Fuego (With Oliver Huntemann)
- 2010 Rejekt (Cocoon J)
- 2003 Global Underground: Toronto: Dubfire [Afterclub Mix] - #1 Top Electronic Albums, #20 Independent Albums, #29 Top Heatseekers
- 2007 Global Underground: Taipei - #16 Top Electronic Albums
- 2009 Sci+Tec: Past/Present/Future
- 2009 Dubfire's Digital Dreams
- 2009 Ten Years Cocoon Ibiza
- 2013 Transmission
- 1993 Angela Marni - Slippin' & Slidin'
- 1994 Watergate - Lonely Winter
- 2006 Nitzer Ebb - Control I'm Here
- 2006 Robbie Rivera - Float Away
- 2007 Axwell Feat. Max'C - I Found U
- 2007 Meat Katie & D. Ramirez - Stop The Revolution - #99 Resident Advisor Top 100 all-time charted tracks
- 2007 DJ Yellow - No More Enemy
- 2007 /b/ - Spastik - #26 Resident Advisor Top 100 all-time charted tracks
- 2007 Nic Fanciulli - Lucky Heather
- 2007 Christian Smith & John Selway - Transit Time
- 2008 System 7 - Spacebird - #7 Resident Advisor Top 100 all-time charted tracks
- 2008 UNKLE - Hold My Hand
- 2008 Radioslave - Grindhouse
- 2008 Booka Shade - Charlotte
- 2008 Gregor Tresher - A Thousand Nights
- 2008 Minilogue - Jamaica
- 2008 Paul Ritch - Split the Line
- 2011 Paperclip People - 4 My Peepz
- 2011 Davide Squillace, Guti - That Ginger Ponytail
Awards and nominations
- Won for Best Minimal Artist - Beatport Music Awards
- Won for Best Techno Artist - Beatport Music Awards
- Nominated for Best Single of 2007 - Emissions - Beatport Music Awards
- "Deep Dish member announces launch new label - news at". Side-line.com. 1999-02-22. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "Beatport Music Awards nominees – Beatport News". Beatportal.com. 2008-03-05. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (August 2013)|