Dublin Bay South (Dáil Éireann constituency)
|Dublin Bay South|
|County/City council||Dublin City|
Dublin Bay South is a parliamentary constituency which will be represented in Dáil Éireann, the lower house of the Irish parliament or Oireachtas, from the next Irish general election. The constituency will elect 4 deputies (Teachtaí Dála, commonly known as TDs). The method of election is the single transferable vote form of proportional representation (PR-STV).
History and boundaries
The Constituency Commission proposed in its 2012 report that at the next general election a new constituency called Dublin Bay South be created. The report proposed changes to the constituencies of Ireland so as to reduce the total number of TDs from 166 to 158.
It was established by the Electoral (Amendment) (Dáil Constituencies) Act 2013. The constituency will incorporate the entirety of the existing Dublin South–East constituency. Territory from Dublin South–Central, centered around Terenure and Harold's Cross, will be added to the new constituency. The constituency was named Dublin Bay South for "reasons of symmetry", with the Dublin Bay North constituency.
The 2013 Act defines the constituency as:
- "In the city of Dublin the electoral divisions of:
- Kimmage C, Mansion House A, Mansion House B, Pembroke East A, Pembroke East B, Pembroke East C, Pembroke East D, Pembroke East E, Pembroke West A, Pembroke West B, Pembroke West C, Rathfarnham, Rathmines East A, Rathmines East B, Rathmines East C, Rathmines East D, Rathmines West A, Rathmines West B, Rathmines West C, Rathmines West D, Rathmines West E, Rathmines West F, Royal Exchange A, Royal Exchange B, St. Kevin’s, South Dock, Terenure A, Terenure B, Terenure C, Terenure D, Wood Quay A, Wood Quay B."
- "Constituency Commission Report 2012 – Dublin area". Constituency Commission. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "Constituency Commission Report 2012 – Introduction and summary of recommendation". Constituency Commission. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "Electoral (Amendment) (Dáil Constituencies) Act 2013: Schedule". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "Commission urges constituency boundary changes and reduction in TDs". RTÉ News. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 14 July 2012.