Dublin High School (Dublin, California)
|Dublin High School|
|DHS Math & Science Building|
|8151 Village Parkway
Dublin, California 94568
|Color(s)||Red and Navy Blue|
|Website||Dublin High School|
Dublin High School is a four-year public high school located in the East Bay neighborhood of Dublin, California, USA. Dublin High School is one of the schools in the Dublin Unified School District. The school is a four-time California Distinguished School and has won several national academic awards.
Dublin High School was established in the fall of 1968 as the second high school in Pleasanton, California's Amador Valley High School District and graduated its first senior class in June 1971. After the incorporation of the City of Dublin in 1982 (Dublin, California), Dublin High was annexed and combined with the Murray School District to form the Dublin Unified School District in July 1988. Dublin High has been selected a California Distinguished School four times since 1990 (1990, 1992, 1996, and 2003).
Dublin High School's API (Academic Performance Index) in 2012 was 880 and graduation rate in 2011 was 97.47% (up from 96.16% in 2010). Dublin High School has a California Department of Education statewide rank of 10 (out of 10) and a similar schools rank of 10 (out of 10). In May 2013, Dublin High School was notified of inclusion in Newsweek's 2013 List of America's Top Public High Schools (ranked #424). Dublin High School was also awarded a Silver Medal in the 2013 U.S. News & World Report ranking of high schools (in 2013 7% of schools in the United States achieved Silver Medal recognition). GreatSchools.org ranks Dublin High School as a 10 out of 10. 10 Dublin High School Class of 2011 seniors received National Merit Scholarship Program recognition for their performance on the PSAT/NMSQT in 2010. Two Dublin High School Class of 2013 seniors, Malina Jiang and Nan Zhou, were awarded National Merit Scholarships in May 2013. Dublin High School was named to the CollegeBoard's Annual AP Honor Roll in 2011 for increasing access to AP courses while maintaining or increasing the percentage of students achieving a 3 or better on AP exams.
Dublin High School Renewal / Bond Measure 'C'
73.2% of Dublin voters approved School Bond Measure 'C' in the November 2004 election. School Bond Measure 'C' approved the Dublin Unified School District to issue $184,000,000 in school bonds over time for various school improvement projects. Dublin High School was the primary beneficiary of Bond Measure 'C' with $120,000,000 dedicated to a complete renewal of the DHS campus (the renewal began in 2008 and is scheduled to be complete in 2015, with all academic classrooms rebuilt by January 2011). The renewal will include a new 500-seat Center for Performing Arts and Education, a modernization of the 1968 gymnasium, and a new courtyard. When completed, Dublin High School will have a capacity for over 2,500 students. The Dublin Unified School District was recognized by Green Street Scene in 2009 with a Green Building Award for the use of green technology in the renewal of Dublin High School.
Marching Band and Color Guard
Dublin High School has a comprehensive music program offering instruction in Marching Band, Concert Band, Jazz Band, Color Guard, Winter Percussion, Concert Choir, Show Choir and Advanced Placement Music Theory. The Marching Band competes in the Western Band Association (WBA) in the AAAA Division, and has a membership of 141 students as of 2014. For over 20 years, the Dublin High School Irish Guard music program has offered many opportunities for students to perform, including band reviews, home football and basketball games, concerts, field shows and community events. The marching, concert, and jazz bands have performed in many diverse locations including Hawaii, Disney World, Canada, Ireland and Carnegie Hall in New York. The Concert Band performed at Symphony Center in Chicago in April 2014. The director of bands at Dublin High School is Paul D. Everts.
Engineering and Design Academy
Dublin High School added a pre-engineering Project Lead the Way curriculum in 2010, funded by $80,000 in donations from corporations and foundations, starting with Principles of Engineering. In 2011 the program expanded to include Introduction to Engineering Design. On February 22, 2012, MythBusters stars Adam Savage and Kari Byron participated in a panel session at the Dublin High School Engineering and Design Academy Open House. 1,000 people attended the sold out event.
- Eric Swalwell, Congressman - United States House of Representatives, California's 15th congressional district
- Tim Sbranti, Mayor - Dublin, California
- Justin Peelle, NFL tight end with the San Francisco 49ers
- Ned Yost, manager of the Kansas City Royals
- Robert Jenkins, former NFL left/right tackle and coach for the Los Angeles Rams and Oakland Raiders
- Droop-E, Bay Area Hip-Hop producer and rapper
- Phil Demmel, guitarist for Machine Head
- "California Department of Education Distinguished Schools". CDE.
- "Dublin School District 2012 API Breaks 900, Dublin High School API Improves to 880". October 11, 2012.
- "Dublin High School Similar Schools Ranking Improves to 10 out of 10". July 13, 2012.
- "Dublin High School Academic Rankings (API, SAT, AP, ACT, College Admissions)". July 24, 2010.
- "Newsweek America's Best High Schools 2013". Newsweek.
- "US News and World Report 2013 Awards Dublin High School Silver Medal". OneDublin.org.
- "GreatSchools.org Dublin High School Profile". GreatSchools.org.
- "National Merit Scholarship Program Recognizes Dublin High Students". October 27, 2011.
- "Dublin High School Senior Awards Night Class of 2013". May 23, 2013.
- "Dublin High School AP Test Results Earn Dublin AP Honor Roll Recognition". November 1, 2011.
- "Measure 'C' School Bond". SmartVoter.org. 2004-12-15.
- "Dublin High School Center for Performing Arts and Education Construction Update". OneDublin.org. April 25, 2013.
- "Dublin High School Renewal Project (or $120M of your tax dollars in action)". OneDublin.org. January 16, 2010.
- "Green Street Scene Leadership Award Winners". GreenStreetScene.com. 2009.
- "Engineering Academy Opens at Dublin High School". Patch.com. 2010.
- "Dublin High School Engineering Academy Set to Expand in 2011-12". OneDublin.org. 2011.
- "MythBusters hosts visit Dublin High". ABC 7 / KGO-TV. 2012.
- "'MythBusters' TV stars talk science at Dublin High School". MercuryNews.com. 2012.
- "Stars Of TV Show 'MythBusters' Visit Dublin High". Patch.com. 2012.
- "Dublin High School Alumni Eric Swalwell Defeats 40-Year Congressman Pete Stark". OneDublin.org.
- "City of Dublin Mayor Tim Sbranti on Leading California’s Second Fastest Growing City". OneDublin.org.
- "Dublin's Peelle Excited by Opportunity to Play for 49ers". DublinPatch.com.
- "Dublin High School Attends Royals Spring Training, Hosted by Yost (photos 3 and 4)". The Kansas City Star.