Dublin Rathmines West (Dáil Éireann constituency)
|Dublin Rathmines West|
|Former Dáil Éireann
|County/City council||Dublin City|
Dublin Rathmines West was a short-lived parliamentary constituency represented in Dáil Éireann, the lower house of the Irish parliament or Oireachtas from 1977 to 1981. The constituency elected 3 deputies (Teachtaí Dála, commonly known as TDs) to the Dáil, using the single transferable vote form of proportional representation (PR-STV).
The constituency was created for the 1977 general election, under the Electoral (Amendment) Act 1974, largely replacing the former Dublin South–Central constituency, as part of the redistribution of constituencies which attempted to secure the re-election of the outgoing Fine Gael–Labour Party government.
The constituency was abolished under the Electoral (Amendment) Act 1980 for the 1981 general election. It was mostly replaced with the Dublin South–Central constituency although a smaller part went to Dublin South–East.
The constituency covered the Rathmines district of South-East Dublin and adjoining areas. It consisted of the following wards of the county borough of Dublin: Crumlin D, Kimmage A, Kimmage B, Kimmage C, Kimmage D, Kimmage E, Rathfarnham A, Rathmines West A, Rathmines West B, Rathmines West D, Rathmines West E, Rathmines West F, Terenure A, Terenure B, Terenure C.
|Teachtaí Dála (TDs) for Dublin Rathmines West 1977–1981|
|22nd||1981||Constituency abolished. See Dublin South–Central and Dublin South–East|
Note: The columns in this table are used only for presentational purposes, and no significance should be attached to the order of columns. For details of the order in which seats were won at each election, see the detailed results of that election.
1977 general election
|1977 general election: Dublin Rathmines West|
|Fianna Fáil||Gerard Brady||6,064||22.7||1|
|Fine Gael||Richie Ryan||5,486||20.5||2|
|Fianna Fáil||Ben Briscoe||5,149||19.2||3|
|Labour Party||Mary Robinson||2,854||10.7|
|Labour Party||Michael Collins||2,377||8.9|
|Fine Gael||James O'Keeffe||1,311||4.9|
|Fine Gael||Sean Kelly||1,258||4.7|
|Sinn Féin (Workers' Party)||Eric Byrne||1,148||4.3|
|Fianna Fáil||Noirín Slattery||1,126||4.2|
|Electorate: 41,679 Valid: 26,773 Quota: 6,694 Turnout: 64.1%|
- Parliamentary constituencies in the Republic of Ireland
- Politics of the Republic of Ireland
- List of historic Dáil Éireann constituencies
- Elections in the Republic of Ireland
- "Electoral (Amendment) Act, 1974: Schedule (Constituencies)". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 5 March 2009.
- "Electoral (Amendment) Act, 1980: Schedule (Constituencies)". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 5 March 2009.
- Walker, Brian M, ed. (1992). Parliamentary election results in Ireland, 1918–92. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy. ISBN 0-901714-96-8. ISSN 0332-0286.
- "General election 1977: Dublin Rathmines West". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 6 March 2009.